Perloffs Mock Draft 2008 (CNN)

dmq

If I'm so pretty, why am I available?
Reaction score
2008 NFL Mock Draft
about 20 hours ago :: 102549 Views

The best part of a future mock draft is determining the order of teams. If you care to argue about that or the players I selected, bring it on:

1. Raiders: Darren McFadden, RB, Arkansas - McFadden ran for 182 yards against LSU, which is basically an NFL team. Character questions, but these are the Raiders.

2. Texans: Jake Long, OT, Michigan - After Matt Schaub gets sacked as often as David Carr, Houston realizes it's still got a problem.

3. Vikings: Brian Brohm, QB, Louisville - Strong running game, and no passing game translates to 4-12 for the Vikes in 2007.

4. Lions: Calais Campbell, DE, Miami - I was tempted to put the top WR on the board here, but Matt Millen may not be around to run the draft.

5. Buccaneers: Sam Baker, LT, USC - Will this be the first pick of the post-Gruden era?

6. Dolphins: Chad Henne, QB, Michigan - The ‘Fins make up for controversial '07 pick of an Ohio State WR by taking a Michigan QB. You have to love the symmetry.

7. Cardinals: Derrick Harvey, DE, Florida - Pass-rushers are always valuable.

8. Titans: Kenny Phillips, S, Miami - Phillips gets the edge over Antoine Cason.

9. Cowboys (via Browns): Tyson Jackson, DE, LSU - Strong D-lineman for Wade Phillips' defense.

10. Falcons: Limas Sweed, WR, Texas - Tempted to go QB here, but only if the Falcons are bad enough to get Brohm.

11. Bills: Gosder Cherilus, OT, Boston College - Love those BC linemen.

12. Packers: DeSean Jackson, WR, California - Finally a playmaker for Favre. Just a year too late.

13. Giants: Steve Slaton, RB, West Virginia - The new Tiki.

14. Rams: Glenn Dorsey, DT, LSU - Dorsey is LSU's defensive star, but falls a bit because of lack of NFL size (6-foot-2, 299).

15. Chiefs: Keith Rivers, OLB, USC - If the Trojans dominate this year, all their prospects will look good.

16. Jaguars: Mario Manningham, WR, Michigan - They want to take over the Lions' title of team that takes the most WRs in the first round.

17. Eagles: Lawrence Jackson, DE, USC - Hard to tell if the Eagles will be at 7 or 27. All depends on Donovan McNabb.

18. Panthers: Early Doucet, WR, LSU - Doucet benefits from how well the LSU WRs taken this year play.

19. Steelers: Paul Oliver, CB, Georgia - I wasn't sure whether to put the Steelers at No. 28 or No. 8. All depends on Mike Tomlin.

20. Jets: Frank Okam, DT, Texas - Not necessarily an Eric Mangini kind of guy, but might fill need at nose tackle.

21. Ravens: Shawn Crable, LB - Can play multiple positions Adalius Thomas-style.

22. Commanders: Vince Hall, LB, Va. Tech - The ‘Skins actually have picks this year!

23. Seahawks: John David Booty, QB, USC - Matt Hasselbeck isn't getting any younger ... or any more hair.

24. Patriots (via 49ers): James Laurinaitis, LB, Ohio State - Passed on LBs early on in this draft.

25. Cowboys: Adarius Bowman, WR, Oklahoma State - Will learn from a Terrell Owens just like Dwayne Jarrett will learn from Keyshawn Johnson in Carolina. (Meaning this is T.O.'s last year in Big D.)

26. Chargers: Dan Conner, LB, Penn State - Conner is probably a better pro prospect than the Bills' second-round pick Paul Posluszny.

27. Bears: Chris Long, DE, Virginia - Howie's kid.

28. Broncos: Ray Rice, RB, Rutgers - Critics say he's too small, but is any running back really too small?

29. Bengals: Andre Fluellen, DT, Florida State - The NFL now requires at least one Florida State defensive player to go in the first round every year.

30. 49ers (via Colts): Antoine Cason, CB, Arizona - I'm not thrilled with Cason's performance at the 2008 combine.

31. Saints: Colt Brennan, QB, Hawaii - Undersized system quarterback. Reminds me a little of a former Purdue quarterback.

32. Patriots: Aqib Talib, CB, Kansas -- I'm assuming Asante Samuel plays for New England in '07 and then departs.

stealth

Benched
Reaction score
I actually think the raiders will do quite a lot better next year than last place. Nothing to badse that on but my gut, and what a mighty gut it is too.

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
Unfortunately, the Browns roster does not look bad and could draft about 9th....but, I hope I am wrong and they are horrible

TonyS

Reaction score
He has us beating out the Giants, Eagles, and Skins. I like him already.

I don't know about Saints/Patriots for the SB though. Saints will come back to earth a little this year.

baj1dallas

Reaction score
lol now Darren McFadden has character questions? What did he do, not help an old lady across the street? Gimme a break!

Tra_Col99

Reaction score
30. 49ers (via Colts): Antoine Cason, CB, Arizona - I'm not thrilled with Cason's performance at the 2008 combine.

?? He already knows how he's going to do at the combine?? WOW! does he know lottery numbers too?

Big Dakota

Reaction score
May personal opinion is the Raiders will get the first pick and no way do they give away McFadden. That's why i started the Slaton thread the other day. If Al Daivs can pair that kid with the QB he took thi year, he's set. We gotta pray the Raiders aren't the #1 pick. Although i think most of the teams likely to get the first pick wouldn't pass on McFadden so IMO the only chance we have is if Cleveland goes 2-14 3-13 and ends up with the #1. That's why i'll be watching all i can of Slaton and Rice and any other RB that blows up.

aikemirv

Reaction score
Chad Henne at 6. Is this guy serious? I am a MIchigan fan and I don't like Henne. He throws a nice deep ball but other than that he is not very good at all.

And by the way, if T>O has a good year, there is no way they let him go next year because I don't think TG knees are going to hold up much longer.

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
stealth;1486310 said:
I actually think the raiders will do quite a lot better next year than last place. Nothing to badse that on but my gut, and what a mighty gut it is too.
true...but have you looked at their schedule?

sago1

Reaction score
Unfortunately your right. No team with the #1 pick will give up McFadden. Best option is we lucky enough that Cleveland totally collapses for variety of reasons and we that first pick in the drart. If we end up with top 10 pick, we still get one of best players in the draft & somebody we'd never have a chance for when we would be drafting much later down.

So maybe our choices are Slaton or Sweed/Jackson with that pick. They sound good to me. In an ideal world we'd get the player we want w/o trading up which would allow us to trade off our 2nd first rounder for another first rounder in 09 which is much higher up--just like the Pats seem to do every year.

Big Dakota

Reaction score
If Sweed runs a flat 4.5 he'll be a top 15 guy. If he runs in the 4.6's like most expect, he'll be Jarrett

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
If that's how it works out, I want Slaton.

I still think we can package enough picks to make anyone drop from 1, but the question is will it be worth it?

speedkilz88

Reaction score
This guys on crack. Another DE at #9?

The Texans are getting too much flack about the oline. They drafted both Charles Spencer and Eric Winston at the top of the 3rd round in 2006. They love Spencer at left tackle, he is hurt but they think he is going to be alright by training camp. They also think that the oline problems were fixed last year and that it was Carr that was shot as a QB that was the problem. This is a much better staff than what they had previously. I really think they will be better than Cleveland that have a lot of young talent just not enough experience at qb and a washed up rb.

Big Dakota

Reaction score
peplaw06;1486401 said:
If that's how it works out, I want Slaton.

I still think we can package enough picks to make anyone drop from 1, but the question is will it be worth it?

I think you are right, but it my cost our two #1s, 2nd and 3rd. Maybe even a high pick in 2009. If McFadden blows up again, the price could get astronomical.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
The Browns will not be the number 9 pick ..... top 5 at the very least.

IMHO

;)

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
Can't we at least wait until training camp or the season starts before we talk about next year? Geez :banghead:

aikemirv

Reaction score
Yeagermeister;1486428 said:
Can't we at least wait until training camp or the season starts before we talk about next year? Geez :banghead:

Well, next year is a part of this years draft so it is easy to talk about and kinda fun speculating what that trade would net us!

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
Yeagermeister;1486428 said:

No ...... we are bored ....

;)

dogberry

Reaction score
YM, we'll talk about it alot now that we found someone it annoys. I love human nature.