Perspective for the Anti-Tankers

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That changes from draft to draft but there doesn't seem to be those game changers on the D side in this draft and very few on the O side with some risky QB's at the top of it.

They won but didn't make up any ground so they're falling out of contention for a pick that can change this.

Those that feel this team is better at drafting, where is that proof? They've even had some duds in the 1st round and 2nds and 3rds are turning into projects.

One thing some fail to consider about this team, they're not looking for starters, they're looking for players and there is a huge difference. Jury is out on Diggs but that secondary has been a joke.

BigD_95

Reaction score
You give more playing time to the bench players.

They'll be giving 100% knowing they have a shot to get noticed and make a name for themselves.

Rest stars and vets so that they don't get injured and keeps their bodies more fresh.

That's the way to "tank".

If you win, then fine. But these next three games are as important as any 3 preseason games and should be approached the same way.

I agree with you that they should be losing these last games because it helps in the long run.

but the NFL unlike other pro sports has unwritten rules or attitudes about tanking for draft picks.

the players aren’t stupid. If you start sitting starters and playing a bunch of bench players they know what’s going on. If you sit Dalton when healthy the players know what’s going on.

how can the coaches tell players to give their all when they are trying to lose? And coaches want to win because their jobs are on the line. They could be fired. So any wins or the better they preforms helps them get other jobs.

again I’m all for playing for the better pick at this point but it’s just not realistic in the NFL.

At least we have been drafting pretty good lately.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
There is no one in this draft like Chase Young or Joey Bosa. Timing is everything.
200w.gif

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
That changes from draft to draft but there doesn't seem to be those game changers on the D side in this draft and very few on the O side with some risky QB's at the top of it.

They won but didn't make up any ground so they're falling out of contention for a pick that can change this.

Those that feel this team is better at drafting, where is that proof? They've even had some duds in the 1st round and 2nds and 3rds are turning into projects.

One thing some fail to consider about this team, they're not looking for starters, they're looking for players and there is a huge difference. Jury is out on Diggs but that secondary has been a joke.

"Risky QB's"

These QB's are as risky as any position.

QB's are only more risky when you reach for guys that should be going in the 2nd round but they have so much position value that they go in the 1st round.

Lawrence is about as safe as it gets.

Fields has a Dak Prescott floor.

Zach Wilson has enormous upside to be the best of all of them.

Could they bust? Sure.. But if you hit then you have enormous advantages by getting cheap/quality QB play for 5 years.

blueblood70

Reaction score
In last week's Steelers and Washington Football Team game, Mike Tomlin told Chase Young that he never wants to lose enough games to get a player like him.

That's why when there is no shot at the playoffs, it's in a team's best interest to lose as many games as possible.

Only special talent like that can be found in the first few picks of the draft.

Yes, other special players can be found later but that happens less than you think considering how many total picks there are in each draft. Most times, teams don't even know they drafted a special player and just get lucky. For example, the Patriots had no clue how good Brady would be because they took him in the 6th round.

Players like Chase Young, Nick Bosa, Joey Bosa, are any teams best bet each draft.

Those types of players can only be acquired by picking top 5 or better.

That's why you want to lose games in a season that was already over in week 6.
name that defensive player THIS DRAFT?

sorry but players and coached DO NOT TANK , its a fact, they control the game not the owner or gm..its fan term..some teams are simply that bad..that is all GMS have teaken talent off rosters at the trade deadline and made cuts etc appears they might be in tank mode but coaches and players that are on the field are NOT Tanking..

MIA did not tank they went 3-3/2-0 to finish the season played fitz to the end, why not Rosen? because they played to WIN thats why..

the integrity of the game and character of players and coaches prevent teams from truly tanking, if they got caught they would lose drfat picks and be fined heavily as RG and the NFL do not condone this, fine line from being bad and losing on purpose..

Fan terms do not apply..save it for your little BWW group meeting for FF night..smh:facepalm::muttley::popcorn:

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
In last week's Steelers and Washington Football Team game, Mike Tomlin told Chase Young that he never wants to lose enough games to get a player like him.

That's why when there is no shot at the playoffs, it's in a team's best interest to lose as many games as possible.

Yes, other special players can be found later but that happens less than you think considering how many total picks there are in each draft. Most times, teams don't even know they drafted a special player and just get lucky. For example, the Patriots had no clue how good Brady would be because they took him in the 6th round.

Players like Chase Young, Nick Bosa, Joey Bosa, are any teams best bet each draft.

What we want has no bearing on anything. Pretty sure we all know the NFL draft rewards losing.

"I want to win!"
"I want to lose!"

It doesn't matter. Let people root for whatever they want. :rolleyes:

Whyjerry

Reaction score

I agree. In my opinion no team should ever thank especially a losing culture like the Cowboys. What they should be doing is playing the young guys. How is Anae not getting more work? I also don’t see the point in Dalton starting. Dallas is down 2 games with 3 to play. They are not making the playoffs. If by chance they did they would be dead on arrival. A top 3 pick might get you Fields. I am starting to believe this team needs to move on from Dak because too many holes need to be filled for a $40-45MM contract to be handed out.

Never tank but use the time to assess the young guys and try different things out.

jujoboys

Reaction score
No worries....

I see us in that 15-17 range..

Should be good times..

I think we end up picking 4th because I see us losing the last 3 games. Our SOS will go down putting us ahead of any other teams that could potentially be 4-12.

Btw, I am not rooting for us to lose/tank. This is just how I see the season ending. If Cincy weren't coughing up the ball yesterday then that game could have been way much closer.

49ers: Their strength on offense is running the ball and they will commit to the run. Our biggest weakness on D is our run defense. Also, their DLine is still pretty good going against our beat up OLine.

Eagles: If Wentz wer starting I would give us the edge because Pederson would be pass happy. However, we struggle with running QBs due to our awful run defense and the Eagles will go to their running game like they did against the Saints. We will have nothing to play for since we lost to the 49ers and were eliminated from the playoffs. The Eagles' DLine will feast on our depleted OLine. Bad day. I hate losing to the Eagles.

Giants: They will have something to play for and we won't. They will run the ball and Daniel Jones is good enough to make some plays on us. Their defense has gotten better so our offense will struggle. It will be close but I think we lose.

Doomsday77

Reaction score

You give more playing time to the bench players.

They'll be giving 100% knowing they have a shot to get noticed and make a name for themselves.

Rest stars and vets so that they don't get injured and keeps their bodies more fresh.

That's the way to "tank".

If you win, then fine. But these next three games are as important as any 3 preseason games and should be approached the same way.

You just answered your own point...we are starting the "young guys"!! If you read anything on the website there is an article I think from Spags indicating we have 26 players starting or have played that have less than 3 years experience. So if we were trying to tank who the hell are we going to put on the field??

J12B

Reaction score
name that defensive player THIS DRAFT?

sorry but players and coached DO NOT TANK , its a fact, they control the game not the owner or gm..its fan term..some teams are simply that bad..that is all GMS have teaken talent off rosters at the trade deadline and made cuts etc appears they might be in tank mode but coaches and players that are on the field are NOT Tanking..

MIA did not tank they went 3-3/2-0 to finish the season played fitz to the end, why not Rosen? because they played to WIN thats why..

the integrity of the game and character of players and coaches prevent teams from truly tanking, if they got caught they would lose drfat picks and be fined heavily as RG and the NFL do not condone this, fine line from being bad and losing on purpose..

Fan terms do not apply..save it for your little BWW group meeting for FF night..smh:facepalm::muttley::popcorn:

You truly annoy me.

Doomsday101

Reaction score

I don't get the calls for tanking. It would be one thing if we were playing all of our starters but fact is we have 1 starter on the OL and have ran many combinations on the OL. Secondary has dealt with injuries all season long and yesterday we had several backups in the game and then Smith (a backup) went down and so a backup to a backup went into the game. Asking these backups who are seeing action to not try is not going to happen, this is a chance for guys who are not getting much playing time to get out there and show they belong. Tank???? lol

Doomsday101

Reaction score
You just answered your own point...we are starting the "young guys"!! If you read anything on the website there is an article I think from Spags indicating we have 26 players starting or have played that have less than 3 years experience. So if we were trying to tank who the hell are we going to put on the field??

I don't see it as trying to tank by putting these guys in, fact is we have no choice given the injuries we are dealing with.

Tussinman

Reaction score
Another under-rated aspect is how many times in the 2nd or 3rd round are you like "damn that player picked a few spots above us would of been a starter at a position of need" ?

Having a bad record doesn't just help in the 1st, it can play a huge part in those day 2 selections

J12B

Reaction score
good because the tanker crowds and the word tank truly annoy me beyond 100%.....

There is a right way to tank and wrong way.

One right way is to start Garrett of Dalton.

Dalton is gone next year so we may as well start Garrett to continue assessing him.

Armstrong should be getting more play time than Lawrence. Rest Lawrence's back and give Armstrong more meaningful snaps to help him gain much needed experience against OLs with starters in there.

Maybe play Gifford at LB more and shelve Lee or rest Smith more.

Give Pollard more snaps than Zeke.

All these moves decrease our chances of winning but those guys will still be playing 100% and will be better players because of it in 2021.

That's how the Cowboys should be tanking.

These games are the equivalent to preseason games now except a loss helps our draft position.

CWR

Reaction score
There is a right way to tank and wrong way.

One right way is to start Garrett of Dalton.

Dalton is gone next year so we may as well start Garrett to continue assessing him.

Armstrong should be getting more play time than Lawrence. Rest Lawrence's back and give Armstrong more meaningful snaps to help him gain much needed experience against OLs with starters in there.

Maybe play Gifford at LB more and shelve Lee or rest Smith more.

Give Pollard more snaps than Zeke.

All these moves decrease our chances of winning but those guys will still be playing 100% and will be better players because of it in 2021.

That's how the Cowboys should be tanking.

These games are the equivalent to preseason games now except a loss helps our draft position.

Do yall actually think starters would be ok with lesser bench players getting time ahead of them?

Thats not how these guys work. They want to play. They want to continue to build their resume and legacy. No one wants a year in the middle with garbage output just to satisfy a tank.

Talk about ways to lose your team for good, and this has to be very high up on the list.

Edit: I am for giving the younger guys more time. It just has to be done in the correct way. Maybe that is your point, if so apologies.

J12B

Reaction score
Do yall actually think starters would be ok with lesser bench players getting time ahead of them?

Thats not how these guys work. They want to play. They want to continue to build their resume and legacy. No one wants a year in the middle with garbage output just to satisfy a tank.

Talk about ways to lose your team for good, and this has to be very high up on the list.

Edit: I am for giving the younger guys more time. It just has to be done in the correct way. Maybe that is your point, if so apologies.

Well we haven't been winning with them so it doesn't really matter what those players think or want.

This should be a coaches decision that is in the best interest of the team as a whole going forward.

These next three games are basically preseason games. Coaches should care less about players getting stats and should care more about improving the team and players that will be here next year.

Big_D

Reaction score
The “real fans” rather win meaningless games than improve over the long haul?! Jerry has shown time and time again that he can’t do both of these things!

Dre11

Reaction score
They can be drafted lower, but the higher you draft, the better chance you have of drafting one.

Morris Clairborne says hi, Trent Richardson, Dion Jordan and plenty more not including all the QBs.