Video: Pet Cat Linebacker

cnuball21

Reaction score
He's a good pass rusher but I'm not sure how good he is at LB.

bodi

Reaction score
I'd love to have him

Rashaan Evans is a leader in the Alabama front on defense. Standing 6’3 235 pounds, is a captain of the defense. Evans is a difference maker at his linebacker position and is a all around do everything linebacker. He is a physical player that loves to deliver the big hits on ball carriers. Evans has impressive sideline to sideline speed. Evans holds a very high football IQ which allows him to get him and his defensive teammates set up in the right play call to stop the offense

He is a big hitter who isn’t someone who will give up yards after contact nor miss many tackles at all. But what makes Evans overall value to Alabama’s defense and his future NFL football team is thanks to his ability to hold up in coverage. When Evans drops back into coverage he keeps his head on a swivel and quickly reacts and closes on the football. He’s able to stick with tight ends, running backs and some wide receivers due to his speed

stilltheguru88

Reaction score
I'd love to have him

Rashaan Evans is a leader in the Alabama front on defense. Standing 6’3 235 pounds, is a captain of the defense. Evans is a difference maker at his linebacker position and is a all around do everything linebacker. He is a physical player that loves to deliver the big hits on ball carriers. Evans has impressive sideline to sideline speed. Evans holds a very high football IQ which allows him to get him and his defensive teammates set up in the right play call to stop the offense

He is a big hitter who isn’t someone who will give up yards after contact nor miss many tackles at all. But what makes Evans overall value to Alabama’s defense and his future NFL football team is thanks to his ability to hold up in coverage. When Evans drops back into coverage he keeps his head on a swivel and quickly reacts and closes on the football. He’s able to stick with tight ends, running backs and some wide receivers due to his speed
He’s not 6’3 and I thought he’d be heavier than 232 which was disappointing. That makes me think all of the hard hits will make him injury prone just like R Foster. I’m off the bandwagon.

bodi

Reaction score
He’s not 6’3 and I thought he’d be heavier than 232 which was disappointing. That makes me think all of the hard hits will make him injury prone just like R Foster. I’m off the bandwagon.

S Lee is only 240

I d still tale him

jay94

Reaction score
I don't know about "hot"...for starters my opinion means little.

But if you simply watch their highlights, for my money, Evans is the more explosive player. But, again, just my opinion. I am by no means an expert, or anything close to it.

If your just dictating your decision off of highlights, there lies the problem. Part of the reason why this fanbase greatly overrated Dez Bryant for years, every catch he made had to be a highlight reel. He can't separate and that is what he is. Antonio Brown will split a double team so easily, you won't even acknowledge it.

DiResta

Reaction score
i would bet Vander Esch will be better
if you read his progression from year to year you can see how he went from thin 215lbs to 256lbs and looks like he could easily go 10lbs more
the guy was wrecking games and often having double digit tackle impact with sacks and interceptions
he shows he is a student of the game and has the size and athleticism comparison of Urlacher
i will be sick if he goes to the Eagles

i think Dallas could trade back maybe 25-27 range and still get him
he will be a steal of this draft mark it down

bodi

Reaction score
i would bet Vander Esch will be better
if you read his progression from year to year you can see how he went from thin 215lbs to 256lbs and looks like he could easily go 10lbs more
the guy was wrecking games and often having double digit tackle impact with sacks and interceptions
he shows he is a student of the game and has the size and athleticism comparison of Urlacher
i will be sick if he goes to the Eagles

i think Dallas could trade back maybe 25-27 range and still get him
he will be a steal of this draft mark it down

I think they need to pick a head of Pitts

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2018/profiles/rashaan-evans?id=2560073

OVERVIEW

Some in Evans' hometown of Auburn, Alabama, did not appreciate his signing with the Tide as a top high school recruit. Those with priorities in the wrong place threatened his family's business and made their lives difficult. Now he's looking to become a star in 2017; in fact, in February Evans tweeted that he would win the Butkus Award as the nation's top linebacker. After sitting behind future pros like Reuben Foster for three years, he was ready to meet that promise. Evans was a second-team All-SEC pick in 2017, starting 12 games, tying for the team lead with 74 tackles, leading the team with 13 tackles for loss, making six sacks, and breaking up three passes. In the team's two playoff games in 2016 (his only starts of the year), Evans made 18 tackles from an inside linebacker position. He had 53 total for the year, including four sacks, six quarterback hurries, and a forced fumble in 14 games. Evans had to bide his time like many highly-recruited players coming to play for Nick Saban. The Parade All-American and five-star prospect actually played significantly as a true freshman on special teams in 13 games (15 tackles, two for loss, sack; team-leading 12 special teams tackles). Evans again mostly played as a special teamer and reserve outside linebacker in 2015, though his two sacks against Clemson in the national championship victory that season put him on scouts' radars.

ANALYSIS

STRENGTHS
Build like new breed of NFL linebackers. Possesses good length and great speed. Premium athlete with plus agility, range and explosiveness. Quick to diagnose. Works around the trash when scraping. Able to pace to the perimeter with the jet sweepers and scat-backs. Patient against misdirection and isn't easily baited out of position. Deftly side-steps blocks without giving his gap responsibility. Has athletic ability to dance from gap to gap and look up shifty running backs. Learned from tough guys ahead of him and adapted their demeanor. Explosive, wrap-up striker who sees what he hits. Plays with pain. Sub-package rusher with upfield burst to threaten the edge. Can unleash impressive spin counter in either direction. Burst as delayed blitzer from inside linebacker spot is too much for most linemen to catch.

WEAKNESSES
Nothing.

DRAFT PROJECTION
Round 1

SOURCES TELL US
"He made a lot of progress as an inside backer from last year to this. He was more instinctive and a lot more natural." -- AFC area scout

NFL COMPARISON
Lawrence Timmons on PEDs.

BOTTOM LINE
Ascending linebacker talent who has the speed to fly around from sideline to sideline and played with an improved feel for the position in 2017. Despite limited playing time over his first few seasons, Evans adapted a "work while you wait" mindset that prepared him to for impressive performances in three consecutive national championship games. Evans is an ideal inside linebacker fit for a blitz-happy 3-4 unit, but he could easily fit as a 4-3 WILL with rush potential on sub-packages. Evans is an early starter with high-end potential if he can stay healthy. -Lance Zierlein

-

Pretty much in Alexander's face.

DiResta

Reaction score
https://www.nfl.com/prospects/leighton-vanderesch?id=32462018-0002-5602-32a6-0b4e5b5e883e

OVERVIEW

Vander Esch's family made headlines before the Las Vegas Bowl in December, and his play during the team's win over Oregon made the headlines afterward. The Vander Esch's cruised from Idaho to Las Vegas in a big bus adorned with Leighton's picture, number, and team colors. The 2017 Mountain West Defensive Player of the Year (and team captain) paid off their trip with 12 tackles, three for loss, a sack, and a forced fumble. He was also the Mountain West Championship Game MVP with 16 tackles and a game-sealing interception. The first-team all-conference pick totaled 141 tackles, 8.5 for loss, four sacks, four pass breakups, and four forced fumbles in his junior season. Vander Esch was limited to six games due to injuries in 2016 (27 tackles, 3.5 for loss, one sack, one interception), and was a reserve for 12 games the previous year as a redshirt freshman (20 tackles, sack). He led Salmon River High in Idaho to state titles in football and basketball as a junior and senior.

ANALYSIS

STRENGTHS
  • Big, long and athletic
  • Has history of achievement with dominant performances and state titles in two sports in high school
  • Former basketball standout with fluid hips and smooth movement around the field
  • Almost no delay in his change of direction
  • Has agility and quick-twitch for sudden lateral bursts in his slides to close out slashers
  • Triggers with compact burst to the ball
  • Works under climbing blockers to stay clean
  • Easy sideline-to-sideline range as tackler
  • Has athletic ability to recover and tackle despite over pursuit
  • Widens frame and opens arms to welcome his prey as a tackler
  • Generally wraps up
  • Very talented in coverage
  • Quick but smooth in his drops
  • Mirrors quarterback's eyes with ability to redirect from side to side as he follows
  • Uses active, catch-ready hands to breakup the pass or take it away
  • Shows real rush talent and instincts as a blitzer
  • May have enough ability to beat a tackle as edge rusher from time to time

WEAKNESSES
lol no

DRAFT PROJECTION
Round 1

NFL COMPARISON
The voices inside the league comparing Vander Esch to former Mountain West star Brian Urlacher continue to get louder.

Bottom Line
Vander Esch is a loose-hipped, instinctive linebacker who played in 2017 like he had a GPS tracker on the football. His production totals against both the run and pass are rare for being a first-year starter and with a frame that is primed for more muscle, his NFL ceiling is high. Vander Esch might benefit from a reduced role his rookie season while he improves his play strength and becomes more skilled at taking on blocks. He's an every-down linebacker with very good starting potential and the talent to fill up a stat sheet.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Does C.J. Mosley scare you?

Evans may be my #1 target of the guys that figure to be there at 19.

I think he's mine right now.

Edmunds and Roquan will most likely not be there.

Ridley is another popular name tied to Dallas and I think I would take Evans over Ridley at this point.

Adding Rashaan Evans to our front 7 would make us a lot better defensively.

I'm not sure Calvin Ridley makes much of a difference.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
https://www.nfl.com/prospects/leighton-vanderesch?id=32462018-0002-5602-32a6-0b4e5b5e883e

OVERVIEW

Vander Esch's family made headlines before the Las Vegas Bowl in December, and his play during the team's win over Oregon made the headlines afterward. The Vander Esch's cruised from Idaho to Las Vegas in a big bus adorned with Leighton's picture, number, and team colors. The 2017 Mountain West Defensive Player of the Year (and team captain) paid off their trip with 12 tackles, three for loss, a sack, and a forced fumble. He was also the Mountain West Championship Game MVP with 16 tackles and a game-sealing interception. The first-team all-conference pick totaled 141 tackles, 8.5 for loss, four sacks, four pass breakups, and four forced fumbles in his junior season. Vander Esch was limited to six games due to injuries in 2016 (27 tackles, 3.5 for loss, one sack, one interception), and was a reserve for 12 games the previous year as a redshirt freshman (20 tackles, sack). He led Salmon River High in Idaho to state titles in football and basketball as a junior and senior.

ANALYSIS

STRENGTHS
  • Big, long and athletic
  • Has history of achievement with dominant performances and state titles in two sports in high school
  • Former basketball standout with fluid hips and smooth movement around the field
  • Almost no delay in his change of direction
  • Has agility and quick-twitch for sudden lateral bursts in his slides to close out slashers
  • Triggers with compact burst to the ball
  • Works under climbing blockers to stay clean
  • Easy sideline-to-sideline range as tackler
  • Has athletic ability to recover and tackle despite over pursuit
  • Widens frame and opens arms to welcome his prey as a tackler
  • Generally wraps up
  • Very talented in coverage
  • Quick but smooth in his drops
  • Mirrors quarterback's eyes with ability to redirect from side to side as he follows
  • Uses active, catch-ready hands to breakup the pass or take it away
  • Shows real rush talent and instincts as a blitzer
  • May have enough ability to beat a tackle as edge rusher from time to time

WEAKNESSES
lol no

DRAFT PROJECTION
Round 1

NFL COMPARISON
The voices inside the league comparing Vander Esch to former Mountain West star Brian Urlacher continue to get louder.

Bottom Line
Vander Esch is a loose-hipped, instinctive linebacker who played in 2017 like he had a GPS tracker on the football. His production totals against both the run and pass are rare for being a first-year starter and with a frame that is primed for more muscle, his NFL ceiling is high. Vander Esch might benefit from a reduced role his rookie season while he improves his play strength and becomes more skilled at taking on blocks. He's an every-down linebacker with very good starting potential and the talent to fill up a stat sheet.

I also really like him.

He has just scratched his potential as a player and I think he has made himself a first rounder after the Combine.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I have a little fear of Alabama LB’s honestly...life is much easier at Bama when you have a rotation of 5 or 6 all Americans playing in front of you. Will he look the same with Ash/Price keeping him clean?

I think it's kind of silly. I get why people think this way but you have to judge each player individually.

WE used to say that you can't take Penn State Runningbacks and now we're about to see a Penn State RB go top 5.

Just judge each guy and don't worry about where they went to school.

tm1119

Reaction score
I think it's kind of silly. I get why people think this way but you have to judge each player individually.

WE used to say that you can't take Penn State Runningbacks and now we're about to see a Penn State RB go top 5.

Just judge each guy and don't worry about where they went to school.

It has nothing to do with past players...Evans DID play behind 4 future NFL players in front of him and had 2 likely top 50 picks behind in safeties. Of course I’m not writing off Evans as a prospect because of that, but you can’t tell that didn’t make his job MUCH easier playing in college.