Pet Peeves

timb2

Reaction score
We all have them, so what is your Pet Peeves?. One for me is when I call customer service and I get an operator that butchers the English language and i'm not just talking thick accents. It's so frustrating to try to decipher what they are saying. I'm mean doesn't anyone screen these people if they can talk without mumbling, murmurs, and incoherent words? I HATE IT!!! I was in college and had a Math teacher that you could not understand him. Nice to be inclusive,BUT GIVE ME A BREAK!!! Everyone struggled to understand this teacher. Do these places intentionally find these mushmouths to make us go insane listening to them?

So what are your pet peeves?

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
We all have them, so what is your Pet Peeves?. One for me is when I call customer service and I get an operator that butchers the English language and i'm not just talking thick accents. It's so frustrating to try to decipher what they are saying. I'm mean doesn't anyone screen these people if they can talk without mumbling, murmurs, and incoherent words? I HATE IT!!! I was in college and had a Math teacher that you could not understand him. Nice to be inclusive,BUT GIVE ME A BREAK!!! Everyone struggled to understand this teacher. Do these places intentionally find these mushmouths to make us go insane listening to them?

So what are your pet peeves?
So on the topic of outsourced Pakistani Technical Help....

My first pet peeve is that our country is becoming dumb. No one wants math or science degrees, they just want to be a Youtube star. Don't believe me? Go to any first-rate technical university and check out how many of the student body are from outside the USA. We are getting stuck with teachers that don't know English because the English speakers don't want those jobs. To discuss more on this would take it down the dreaded "P-Word" on this forum.

My other pet peeve is that so many Americans are clueless about other languages and the world in general. Everyone should learn at least one additional language. Everyone should travel the world whether it be a stint in the Service, digital nomad, whatever floats your boat. Just get out there and see it. It will make you a better at solving and understanding both domestic and world issues. If you are the on-site manager or advisor in many industries in this country, you're just screwing yourself not learning the language. Nothing is better than not letting people know the boss knows their language and let them rip in front of you to find out quickly what is going on.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
Where shall I begin?

People who leave their dog chained up outside all day, especially people who yell at them every 5 minutes for barking.
I had neighbors who left a huge dog outside on their apartment's balcony all day, every day, even when the poor thing was way too hot or cold. The creature ended up pooping on the balcony, and it would cry and bark all day. Not the poor dog's fault. Another neighbor volunteered to walk that dog. He shouldn't have had to. If people have animals, they should take care of them.

Miller

ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS TEXASFROG
Reaction score
I have a ton,.,.here are ones that stand out

1) Crunching food....maybe you have "thin cheeks" as my Mom used to say or you just eat with your mouth open...crunching drives me like psycho. I may have Misophonia because it bothers me so much but I hate it. This also includes shaking the ice in your cup and then crunching it and smacking gum/cracking gum with your mouth open. Stop

2) Slow drivers. In Southlake, the main strip is 45 mph. Why are you going 30-35? I'm just trying to get stuff done, I'm not a road racer at all but I'm all for driving the proper speed

3) People who can't order or don't know how/what to order after sitting too long. This includes places that are restaurants or fast food. There is a donut shop here called Peace, Love Donuts. They make each small cake donut specifically as you order so they dip it in vanilla or add sprinkles or make a s'mores one. As you could imagine if people want a dozen and have kids and there are 40 combos, it can be tedious. This isn't your own donut shop playground where we have all day, stop letting your 3 yr old pick out 12 separate donuts. If you don't know, get out of line..

Whew!! That felt better

Streifenkarl

Reaction score

1) Crunching food....maybe you have "thin cheeks" as my Mom used to say or you just eat with your mouth open...crunching drives me like psycho. I may have Misophonia because it bothers me so much but I hate it. This also includes shaking the ice in your cup and then crunching it and smacking gum/cracking gum with your mouth open. Stop
I would so haunt you with this lol. I'm not doing it in general, but whenever I find out someone has a certain phobia related to food / eating I'll do exactly that in his / her presence. Even drove a gf away with this, just because it was so much fun.

Just can't resist, lol. Yes I'm five years old.

Last edited:

Miller

Reaction score
I would so haunt you with this lol. I'm not doing it in general, but whenever I find out someone has a certain phobia related to food / eating I'll do exactly that in his / her presence. Even drove a beautiful girl away with this, just because it was so much fun.

:D Well I'm sure I'd try and handle it since my wife is the worst offender on the planet. She eats a salad and it sounds like she is chewing gravel. Same with one of my daughters. I know it's not their fault but they love crunchy food so it just grinds...lol

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
:D Well I'm sure I'd try and handle it since my wife is the worst offender on the planet. She eats a salad and it sounds like she is chewing gravel. Same with one of my daughters. I know it's not their fault but they love crunchy food so it just grinds...lol
When my brother used to eat cereal, it was,"Crunch CRUNCH, SLURP, SNIFF, SNIFF, SLURP, CRUNCH, CRUNCH, WHEEZE, SNIFF..." I couldn't even eat near him. It felt like I was gonna get splashed on, with milk, saliva, and snot.

LonnieElam

Reaction score
--I can't stand when I'm eating something, and someone comes up and asks what I'm eating. You have eyes; take a look.

-- People who don't have an attention span AT ALL, and you can tell they're not listening to a word you're saying. Take some freaking Adderall.

-- T.O.A.S.T.'s (Topper Of All Story-Telling). We all know one; that guy that one-ups your story. Even worse, and this seriously PISSES me off, is when they actually interrupt your story to start telling their own. Like, I will call you out on it, and be a complete dick about it.

Miller

Reaction score
--I can't stand when I'm eating something, and someone comes up and asks what I'm eating. You have eyes; take a look.

-- People who don't have an attention span AT ALL, and you can tell they're not listening to a word you're saying. Take some freaking Adderall.

-- T.O.A.S.T.'s (Topper Of All Story-Telling). We all know one; that guy that one-ups your story. Even worse, and this seriously PISSES me off, is when they actually interrupt your story to start telling their own. Like, I will call you out on it, and be a complete dick about it.
You think that’s bad, I deal with TOASTS..Topper Of All Story Telling Super…which is way above your TOAST and 30 times more annoying. It’s like the ultimate ;):D

Xelda

Reaction score
I would so haunt you with this lol. I'm not doing it in general, but whenever I find out someone has a certain phobia related to food / eating I'll do exactly that in his / her presence. Even drove a gf away with this, just because it was so much fun.

Public service announcement. I would have to hurt you during dinner.

You think that’s bad, I deal with TOASTS..Topper Of All Story Telling Super…which is way above your TOAST and 30 times more annoying. It’s like the ultimate ;):D
You are TOASTing Lonnie. I had such high hopes after your original post.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Loud mouth breathers....who do it all the time even with clear sinuses.
And when they stand right behind you in line, and you can feel their breath on your neck. Had a guy do that to me at the height of the pandemic. I wasn't at all pleasant about telling him to back to [heck] up. He looked at me like he knew nothing about this "6 feet rule".

HeavyBarrel

Reaction score

2) Slow drivers. In Southlake, the main strip is 45 mph. Why are you going 30-35? I'm just trying to get stuff done, I'm not a road racer at all but I'm all for driving the proper speed

3) People who can't order or don't know how/what to order after sitting too long. This includes places that are restaurants or fast food. There is a donut shop here called Peace, Love Donuts. They make each small cake donut specifically as you order so they dip it in vanilla or add sprinkles or make a s'mores one. As you could imagine if people want a dozen and have kids and there are 40 combos, it can be tedious. This isn't your own donut shop playground where we have all day, stop letting your 3 yr old pick out 12 separate donuts. If you don't know, get out of line..

Whew!! That felt better

Holy smokes yes, I haven't lived in DFW in a few years but Southlake Blvd was a freaking beating because everybody was doing 30-35 through there.....

SlammedZero

Reaction score
We had one of those in our circle growing up. If you ran 5 miles, that dude ran 10. lol It got to the point where it was comical.

lukin2006

Reaction score
Littering. Stupid People. Lack of Common Sense. People at work who refuse to do something and use the excuse “not my job,” even though they are more than capable…

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Rolling Road Blocks. I hate 'em. Why do they have to stop all lanes of traffic and cause a 2 mile backup for 15 or 20 minutes, just to pick up the traffic cones? What's so hard about the way they used to do it? Just have the truck go backwards picking them up. If you wanna be extra safe, post a cop at the beginning, so people don't speed past. Instead, they're paying 2 cops and 3 state truck drivers to block the highway.