News: Pete Prisco’s Top 100 Players of 2020

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Its not about it never working. Free agency isn't the solution. Your free agency needs to compliment your draft.

You're also listing some exceptions to the rule. Brees is a EXCEPTION to the rule. Tom Brady is 43 years old.

Then you listed guys like Waller, Hayward, Barrett, Demario, etc. who were not big time free agents. Ideally I believe this is the smartest way to go. Find these type of guys as opposed to finding the Byron Jones type of guys.

The Cowboys have been overly reliant on the draft the past few years.

Cooper was the rare exception. Jerry has been extremely sensitive to the criticism he received for trades (Joey Galloway, Roy Williams) and free agents (Brandon Carr) so they have mainly ignored the two avenues for about a decade. The Cowboys' back-and-forth stances and then rigid takes on things is, to me, the main reason this team hasn't truly contended for championships for 24 years.

My argument is and has always been, use every single aspect of team building. Draft first, significant free agency and trades next. We've gone: draft, minor trades, street guys, and UDFA. Only traded for Cooper in an act of desperation.

Sydla

Reaction score
Nelson at 15 and Martin at 50?

Eh...

Nelson is a beast, so not trying to discredit him but Martin has been a top guard since day 1 up to last year.

Nelson is probably the better OG at this point. 35 spots difference? Maybe not.

Frankly, you could argue that with Martin being just good and not great last year, Brandon Brooks might be a better OG.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
The Cowboys have been overly reliant on the draft the past few years.

Cooper was the rare exception. Jerry has been extremely sensitive to the criticism he received for trades (Joey Galloway, Roy Williams) and free agents (Brandon Carr) so they have mainly ignored the two avenues for about a decade. The Cowboys' back-and-forth stances and then rigid takes on things is, to me, the main reason this team hasn't truly contended for championships for 24 years.

My argument is and has always been, use every single aspect of team building. Draft first, significant free agency and trades next. We've gone: draft, minor trades, street guys, and UDFA. Only traded for Cooper in an act of desperation.
They haven't been overly reliant on the draft. They just have striked out in free agency. That's free agency. You have to remember that free agency is full of players other teams didn't want. For whatever reason. Whether it was injuries, age or their respective teams not thinking they are worth the money. So when you have those type of players there you have to search for them. If Brady was 33 he would have not been a free agent. But instead he's 43.

Cowboys have the correct approach. Trade for Robert Quinn and Michael Bennett........sign Randall Cobb to 5 million.....its just a risky game. Free agency is risky. Sometimes you will hit sometimes you will not.

I love the Cooper trade....but you could argue the Cowboys probably shouldn't have made the trade especially if you know what Gallup would become and you'd get Lamb.

John813

Reaction score
Nelson is probably the better OG at this point. 35 spots difference? Maybe not.

Frankly, you could argue that with Martin being just good and not great last year, Brandon Brooks might be a better OG.

Yea, don't disagree with Nelson being the top dog now. But just don't see it being that big of a difference in overall rankings.
And I get it's super tough to rate all NFL players in one list.

True, last year wasn't his best, but did have a back injury. If this list was heavily favored towards 2019 play only, fine. If it takes into account the players past work+assumptions of 2020 play I still think Martin should be higher overall.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
You have to remember that free agency is full of players other teams didn't want
Overly simplistic view. The Salary Cap means teams have a budget and have to make financial choices.
Cowboys have the correct approach
Yet, no appearances in Conference Championship games in 24 years?

I just don't agree. The Front Office, mainly Jerry and Stephen Jones, have way too rigid stances on player acquisition. Most importantly, there's no real consequences for their actions or in the case of impact free agency, lack of action.

RS12

Reaction score
I seem to remember a lot of us on the Grady Jarrett bandwagon in the draft zone back in the day. Looks like with good reason.

RS12

Reaction score
In Prisco's mind, McCarthy is inheriting a load of talent on offense.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...s-takes-top-spot-lamar-jackson-cracks-top-10/

1. Patrick Mahomes
  2. Aaron Donald
  3. Russell Wilson
  4. Michael Thomas
  5. Christian McCaffery
  6. Stephon Gilmore
  7. Lamar Jackson
  8. Chandler Jones
  9. Khalil Mack
  10. Aaron Rodgers
  11. Drew Brees
  12. Cam Jordan
  13. Joey Bosa
  14. Julio Jones
  15. Quenton Nelson
  16. TJ Watt
  17. Zeke Elliott
  18. George Kittle
  19. Tom Brady
  20. Travis Kelce
  21. Von Miller
  22. Grady Jarrett
  23. Ryan Ramczyk
  24. Nick Bosa
  25. Danielle Hunter
  26. Jalen Ramsey
  27. Ronnie Stanley
  28. Za'Darius Smith
  29. Chris Godwin
  30. Lane Johnson
  31. DeAndre Hopkins
  32. JJ Watt
  33. Cam Heyward
  34. Tyrann Matheiu
  35. Saquon Barkley
  36. Chris Jones
  37. Harrison Smith
  38. Bobby Wagner
  39. Calais Campbell
  40. Alvin Kamara
  41. Mitchell Scwartz
  42. Jamal Adams
  43. Tyreek Hill
  44. Dalvin Cook
  45. Mike Evans
  46. Dak Prescott
  47. Myles Garrett
  48. Devante Adams
  49. Derwin James
  50. Zack Martin
  51. Demario Davis
  52. Tre'Davious White
  53. Geno Atkins
  54. Fletcher Cox
  55. Brandon Brooks
  56. De'Forest Buckner
  57. Richard Sherman
  58. Demarcus Lawrence
  59. Marlon Humphrey
  60. Bud Dupree
  61. Eric Kendricks
  62. Deshaun Watson
  63. AJ Green
  64. Odell Beckham Jr.
  65. Joe Thuney
  66. Keenan Allen
  67. Lavonte David
  68. Zach Ertz
  69. Derrick Henry
  70. Matt Ryan
  71. Nick Chubb
  72. Carlos Dunlap
  73. Joe Mixon
  74. Melvin Ingram
  75. Patrick Peterson
  76. Jason Kelce
  77. La'el Collins
  78. Justin Simmons
  79. Darren Waller
  80. Tyron Smith
  81. Amari Cooper
  82. Shaq Barrett
  83. Casey Heyward
  84. JuJu Smith-Schuster
  85. David Bakhtiari
  86. Kirk Cousins
  87. Ryan Jensen
  88. Josh Allen (OLB)
  89. Preston Smith
  90. Arik Armstead
  91. Stefon Diggs
  92. Kenny Clark
  93. Jimmie Ward
  94. Kevin Byard
  95. Aaron Jones
  96. Darius Slay
  97. Cooper Kupp
  98. DJ Chark
  99. Darius Leonard
  100. Mark Andrews

What no Dalton? Surely he got robbed from list as the Dak trolls are suggesting we cut Dak for the great Dalton.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...s-takes-top-spot-lamar-jackson-cracks-top-10/

1. Patrick Mahomes
  2. Aaron Donald
  3. Russell Wilson
  4. Michael Thomas
  5. Christian McCaffery
  6. Stephon Gilmore
  7. Lamar Jackson
  8. Chandler Jones
  9. Khalil Mack
  10. Aaron Rodgers
  11. Drew Brees
  12. Cam Jordan
  13. Joey Bosa
  14. Julio Jones
  15. Quenton Nelson
  16. TJ Watt
  17. Zeke Elliott
  18. George Kittle
  19. Tom Brady
  20. Travis Kelce
  21. Von Miller
  22. Grady Jarrett
  23. Ryan Ramczyk
  24. Nick Bosa
  25. Danielle Hunter
  26. Jalen Ramsey
  27. Ronnie Stanley
  28. Za'Darius Smith
  29. Chris Godwin
  30. Lane Johnson
  31. DeAndre Hopkins
  32. JJ Watt
  33. Cam Heyward
  34. Tyrann Matheiu
  35. Saquon Barkley
  36. Chris Jones
  37. Harrison Smith
  38. Bobby Wagner
  39. Calais Campbell
  40. Alvin Kamara
  41. Mitchell Scwartz
  42. Jamal Adams
  43. Tyreek Hill
  44. Dalvin Cook
  45. Mike Evans
  46. Dak Prescott
  47. Myles Garrett
  48. Devante Adams
  49. Derwin James
  50. Zack Martin
  51. Demario Davis
  52. Tre'Davious White
  53. Geno Atkins
  54. Fletcher Cox
  55. Brandon Brooks
  56. De'Forest Buckner
  57. Richard Sherman
  58. Demarcus Lawrence
  59. Marlon Humphrey
  60. Bud Dupree
  61. Eric Kendricks
  62. Deshaun Watson
  63. AJ Green
  64. Odell Beckham Jr.
  65. Joe Thuney
  66. Keenan Allen
  67. Lavonte David
  68. Zach Ertz
  69. Derrick Henry
  70. Matt Ryan
  71. Nick Chubb
  72. Carlos Dunlap
  73. Joe Mixon
  74. Melvin Ingram
  75. Patrick Peterson
  76. Jason Kelce
  77. La'el Collins
  78. Justin Simmons
  79. Darren Waller
  80. Tyron Smith
  81. Amari Cooper
  82. Shaq Barrett
  83. Casey Heyward
  84. JuJu Smith-Schuster
  85. David Bakhtiari
  86. Kirk Cousins
  87. Ryan Jensen
  88. Josh Allen (OLB)
  89. Preston Smith
  90. Arik Armstead
  91. Stefon Diggs
  92. Kenny Clark
  93. Jimmie Ward
  94. Kevin Byard
  95. Aaron Jones
  96. Darius Slay
  97. Cooper Kupp
  98. DJ Chark
  99. Darius Leonard
  100. Mark Andrews

He has Dak as the 7th best QB in the NFL.

-Dak is backup material
-Dak is average
-Dak is slightly above average

Well...………..trolls continue to take a beating.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
5 qbs ahead of dak

2 of them are close to being in nursing homes..another one isn't far behind those 2

If Dak has a year like last year and the Cowboys make it to the championship game, the pundits will have Dak in the top 5.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Overly simplistic view. The Salary Cap means teams have a budget and have to make financial choices.

Yet, no appearances in Conference Championship games in 24 years?

I just don't agree. The Front Office, mainly Jerry and Stephen Jones, have way too rigid stances on player acquisition. Most importantly, there's no real consequences for their actions or in the case of impact free agency, lack of action.

Well in your list of guys...its not like those teams had much success last year. Rams got Jalen Ramsey and got worse.

My view isn't simplistic.

Let's be honest here..have we ever seen a guy go to free agency a team wanted? Chances are they would trade them first like Raiders did with Khalil Mack. They knew Khalil Mack wasn't tin their future but they weren't going to let him leave for nothing.

When I make the statement free agency is full of players team didn't' want its not based on skill. Its based on a few things but ultimately if a team wants a player they will clear the cap space to retain them if they deem the worth the hassle.

Cowboys lack of conference championship games shouldn't be accredited to them not being big time players in free agency.

In that span of 24 years they've had historically bad defenses, historically bad quarterback play(Chad Hutchinson, Drew Henson), they've had piss poor coaching, mis management of the drafts......you can point to a lot of things.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
He ranked Prescott ahead of Zack Martin.

That tells you all you need to know about the validity of this list.

I guess that tells you all we need to know about your player evaluation abilities.

If there was a draft, starting from scratch with entire player pool, Dak would be the #7 player drafted. Heck, with Brady and Brees being so old he would be the 5th player drafted.

Nah, but you would take Martin. LOL

Martin and Dalton!!!!

Go cheap at the QB position. Great strategy. :muttley::muttley:

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
Had to Google this Pete Prisco. Pft. He's just another sports writer for CBS. Whoopie! :rolleyes:

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Ouch.

Also, I hope the fans here who swear "big time" free agency never works takes a look at that list. Great teams use every avenue of talent acquisition.
Seems a weird take based on list.
The top 20 has all of 1 guy that was a FA and joined their team before this season.

Brady is a shell of his former shelf and stupidly included here much less included as a top 20 guy.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Lamar Jackson should be No. 2
Zeke does not deserve to be No. 17, not based on last year's production.
JJ Watts at 32? Didn't he get injured last year?
Ditto for Derwin James at 49?
Derrick Henry at 69 is way too low. He single-handedly (footedly?) put the Titans a breath away from the AFC Championship.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Lamar Jackson should be No. 2
Zeke does not deserve to be No. 17, not based on last year's production.
JJ Watts at 32? Didn't he get injured last year?
Ditto for Derwin James at 49?
Derrick Henry at 69 is way too low. He single-handedly (footedly?) put the Titans a breath away from the AFC Championship.
Brady shouldn't be top 50, much less 20.

LJ has had one great season. Ditto for Derrick Henry.
They are both really good players but some skepticism is fair but I'd have DH higher.
Zeke was not a better player last year than Dak but again over 4 years Zeke can be placed higher.
No way I'd rate Zeke higher for 2020 though.

If the injuries weren't serious they probably have little effect on the rating for 2020 but JJ Watt has been injured 1180 times and I would downrate him for that going into 2020.