News: Pete Prisco’s Top 100 Players of 2020

slick325

Reaction score
Zeke is and has been the best player on the Dallas Cowboys since 2016. Not surprised to see he is considered the highest ranked on this list. Won't be the last list he'll appear on as the top ranked Cowboys player either. Bad dude!

EMMITTnROY

Reaction score
He ranked Prescott ahead of Zack Martin.

That tells you all you need to know about the validity of this list.
Honestly this was my first thought.

I like Dak. But Martin is much better at his job than Dak is at his.

plasticman

Reaction score
Halt!

La'el Collins at 77?

......If you say so....

Anyway, the average per team is 3 players. The Cowboys supposedly have 7. I'm not sure his method of choosing the top 100 was scientifically evaluated using an intense grading system and advanced computer programming.....something tells me he has a dart board in his office

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Brady shouldn't be top 50, much less 20.

LJ has had one great season. Ditto for Derrick Henry.
They are both really good players but some skepticism is fair but I'd have DH higher.
Zeke was not a better player last year than Dak but again over 4 years Zeke can be placed higher.
No way I'd rate Zeke higher for 2020 though.

If the injuries weren't serious they probably have little effect on the rating for 2020 but JJ Watt has been injured 1180 times and I would downrate him for that going into 2020.

I'm assuming this is a list based on the previous year or a list based on the upcoming year. Either case, I would think the production is based on the past year. If that's the case, LJ and Derrick Henry deserved to be ranked higher given their performance in the 2019-2020 season. If projecting into the new year, the previous season has to be the metric upon which one predicts their play in the upcoming season.

As for Brady, he still led the Patriots to the playoffs. Maybe 20 is too high, but I wouldn't put him too far back.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
The draft is absolutely the way to go.

My issue is with the idea here that "big time free agency never works."

The following were acquired via trades:

it's not that it never works. its more an issue of a poor success rate. for every high dollar FA success there are many more failures.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I just don't agree. The Front Office, mainly Jerry and Stephen Jones, have way too rigid stances on player acquisition. Most importantly, there's no real consequences for their actions or in the case of impact free agency, lack of action.

It's mainly reactionary ... and changes over time because of that.

There was a period of time (around when we released Ware) that we had a bunch of older players who were having injury issues, so the Joneses decided it was a bad idea to pay age. Well, overall, that's probably a good idea, but you can't make it a hard and fast rule because there are exceptions.

Then, came the Brandon Carr failure that convinced the Joneses that expensive FAs are not worth it. However, in taking that stance, they ignore the expensive free agents who have been acquired by other teams and did prove to be worth it. It certainly doesn't mean Dallas should go back to the days of throwing money at free agents, but you can't let one area of the team lapse or be the weak link in the chain just because a lot of those FAs don't end up being worth what they cost.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
It's mainly reactionary ... and changes over time because of that.

There was a period of time (around when we released Ware) that we had a bunch of older players who were having injury issues, so the Joneses decided it was a bad idea to pay age. Well, overall, that's probably a good idea, but you can't make it a hard and fast rule because there are exceptions.

Then, came the Brandon Carr failure that convinced the Joneses that expensive FAs are not worth it. However, in taking that stance, they ignore the expensive free agents who have been acquired by other teams and did prove to be worth it. It certainly doesn't mean Dallas should go back to the days of throwing money at free agents, but you can't let one area of the team lapse or be the weak link in the chain just because a lot of those FAs don't end up being worth what they cost.

Agreed. The apologists here like to justify Dallas' decisions regarding premium free agency by saying the Patriots don't spend big in free agency. Then, Belichick goes out and lands the premium CB available in Stephon Gilmore. Belichick looks at all avenues of talent acquisition and understands that sometimes, the talent justifies the method.

I don't want to see throwing money around either but I hate the idea that we are reluctant to even look at premium free agents based on the fact that you used to suck at it.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
45m a year for the 46th best player in the entire world

Sure
if you notice, salaries are not based on where they rank in the top 100 list of a sports writer...they are based on position.....some positions naturally get more than others......ala QBs....make sense?

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Agreed. The apologists here like to justify Dallas' decisions regarding premium free agency by saying the Patriots don't spend big in free agency. Then, Belichick goes out and lands the premium CB available in Stephon Gilmore. Belichick looks at all avenues of talent acquisition and understands that sometimes, the talent justifies the method.

I don't want to see throwing money around either but I hate the idea that we are reluctant to even look at premium free agents based on the fact that you used to suck at it.

I am pleased with the low-cost additions we've made this year, but those always come with some risk. Our main strategy has been to fill rotation spots with low-cost FAs and try to draft stars, but that's a hard thing to achieve.

The DTs spots are a good example of this. We've drafted Tyrone Crawford, Maliek Collins and Trysten Hill to be the "stars" on the interior, while trying to buoy that with players like Christian Covington, Antwaun Woods and the troubled David Irving, Stephen Paea, Brian Price ... and what we've ended up with is a mediocre interior for a long time now.

Bigdog

Reaction score
There is no way in my mind that Lane Johnson is better than Tyron Smith. Granted Smith has had some injuries but no way.