Pete Rose has died

BoysForLife

Reaction score
I agree. I am calling out Joe Buck. Maybe it was unintentional but the way he went about announcing his passing seemed really scummy. It was backhanded. The man never killed anyone or any animals. Now hes in the ground possibly and folks pretend like he did something to them.
Joe Buck has always been a smarmy elitist

It's part and parcel of his character from head to toe.

jwitten82

Reaction score
I think it's a disgrace that he died without being inducted into the HOF. I don't care what he bet on. You can ban him for life from being involved in MLB at any level if you want but the HOF has nothing to do with it. Everyone knows he's a 1st ballot Hall of Famer. It was silly to keep him out.

Putting him in posthumously would be the ultimate slap in the face.
You were one of the same people who said TO didn't deserve to be a first ballot HOFer. Based on individual statistics, it was a no brainer for TO to be in on the first try

Rayman70

Reaction score
Joe Buck has always been a smarmy elitist

It's part and parcel of his character from head to toe.
Sadly, Troy isnt great in that department either. Great player but has the elitist type of mindset. It was AWFUL that Buck brought up betting and his death in the same sentence. UNCALLED FOR and dude is a douchebag.

Rayman70

Reaction score
The baseball hall of fame should be disbanded and no more if a guy like Pete Rose cannot get into it. PERIOD. He didn't juice, he never fixed games, he just bet on himself essentially. I can think of a million worse things that he could have done. If Michael Vick can get a pass now by the media for what he did, why can't Rose? What Vick did was a thousand times worse and now its all hugs and kisses by the media for him and they never bring it up anymore. But Rose passes away and the media STILL kicking dirt in his families face for what he done and the man apologized for it many times while he was alive. MSM is trash. Rose was demonized.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Calvin Ridley bet on NFL games, was banned for like a year or whatever and is back in the league playing and not 1 media person talks about it. Its like it never happened. Rose should have been given the same chance to redeem himself and get into the hall before his death but they wouldn't let the man live it down. Human beings really piss me off sometimes. One set of rules for some and another set for another group. Rose had a foot on his throat up til his death and the media and others STILL have their foot placed on his throat, even in death. Joe Bucks Daddy was a baseball guy, and I bet ya his Dad had an ax to grind against Rose. I hope someone calls Joe Buck out on X or whatever to bring up this topic. I was hoping for better.

DZSierra

Reaction score
BTW..what about the trashy way Joe Buck HAD to mention his passing during the telecast in the same breath as "he bet on baseball" "His own team to win"
Rose bet on his team to win, not lose.

That's the way he played the game, to win.

People have addictions, part of life. Look at football and "draft kings". The reality is if a sports organization can make money by gambling, they will. The issue becomes when a player throws a game betting on his team to loose, not win.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Rose bet on his team to win, not lose.

That's the way he played the game, to win.

People have addictions, part of life. Look at football and "draft kings". The reality is if a sports organization can make money by gambling, they will. The issue becomes when a player throws a game betting on his team to loose, not win.
agree 1000%. I guess what Im getting at is, why did Buck need to bring it up within the same context of the man dying? Why bring it up at all? I thought it was poor judgement at best and a classless way to handle it . I was brought up that you ALWAYS respect the dead and the living family members by taking the high road.

RoboQB

Reaction score
RIP, Charlie Hustle.
Cooperstown is a joke without The Hit King.

I hope he told his family to refuse induction if MLB
and the HOF committee come calling to make a dollar off a dead man.

RonWashington

Reaction score
HOF or not the 60’s through 70’s was some of the best baseball decades . And the mid 70’s the Big Red Machine was one of the most dominant multi WS winning teams I’ve seen .

That lineup with Rose as spark plug with Joe Morgan then Bench & Foster as hammers , plus Dave Concepcion that was a rough lineup to pitch to .

Hardline

Reaction score
Jackson agreed to "throw" a World Series.
Rose bet on his team to WIN games.
You’re way off base here.
Shoeless Joe Jackson's stats in the 1919 World Series would tell you he wasn't throwing the games. He played his very best and had the only home run of the series.

RoboQB

Reaction score
Shoeless Joe Jackson's stats in the 1919 World Series would tell you he wasn't throwing the games. He played his very best and had the only home run of the series.
Regardless.
He agreed to throw the World Series.

I can take your logic and turn it against you simply by pointing out that Rose bet on himself and his team to win. Jackson agreed to lose on purpose. Getting "cold feet" after the fact does not absolve Shoeless Joe.

mrmojo

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
RIP Charlie Hustle. I loved to watch you play, you played hard all the time. You were a great ball player and proved it on the field enough to be in the HOF........IMO

Rayman70

Reaction score
Jackson agreed to "throw" a World Series.
Rose bet on his team to WIN games.
You’re way off base here.
wow I never knew that about Jackson. If this is true, as good as he was, he shouldn't be in the Hall. Rose would have never ever done that. He wanted to win. He was the ultimate competitor.

Rayman70

Reaction score
RIP Charlie Hustle. I loved to watch you play, you played hard all the time. You were a great ball player and proved it on the field enough to be in the HOF........IMO
I think Rose was extremely gifted, so much so he could have played in the NFL and would have excelled. The man was built like a Linebacker and would as soon run thru you like one to tag a base. THOSE Reds teams with him and Bench were special.

Rayman70

Reaction score
HOF or not the 60’s through 70’s was some of the best baseball decades . And the mid 70’s the Big Red Machine was one of the most dominant multi WS winning teams I’ve seen .

That lineup with Rose as spark plug with Joe Morgan then Bench & Foster as hammers , plus Dave Concepcion that was a rough lineup to pitch to .
The original dream team if you think bout it. Team was LOADED with all world players . I would put those Reds teams against ANY team in any decade, even the Yankees with Joe Dimaggio. What a great WS that would be.

RoboQB

Reaction score
wow I never knew that about Jackson. If this is true, as good as he was, he shouldn't be in the Hall. Rose would have never ever done that. He wanted to win. He was the ultimate competitor.
There's an old movie about the "Black Sox" called
Eight Men Out that loosely covers the time when a slew of ball players agreed to throw the World Series because the owner was a cheapskate.

I agree, Pete Rose was the very definition of the word competitor on the field. I loved watching him play when I was a kid.