Recommended Peter King: Inside the mind of Tony Romo, sort of. My Friday GamePlan

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Maturation of Romo

Infamous for his failures in the clutch, Tony Romo worked hard to fix careless mistakes and is now changing the narrative. Here's how he's doing it, plus a note on Denver's wild win and what to watch in Week 2.

Cris Collinsworth said exactly what I was thinking as the Cowboys exulted after their second Tony Romo-led touchdown drive in the last six minutes beat the Giants on Sunday night in Texas. “Tony Romo’s taken a lot of heat over the years for not playing in the clutch,” Collinsworth told America on NBC. “That was pretty darn strong.”

The next test for Romo and the Cowboys comes Sunday in Philadelphia. But last Sunday, there were two plays—one on each 70-plus-yard touchdown drive—that showed the maturation of Romo, and why the Cowboys, even without Dez Bryant for probably half the season now, are such a dangerous team.

The answer to his newfound productive efficiency, can be found, first, in his smart phone.

Yes, Romo’s phone. In training camp this summer, I sat with him for an hour after practice one day. Romo started the conversation—well, after riffing on Bruce Springsteen, who was playing in the background of the interview; a couple of times Romo just stopped in the conversation and sang a lyric—by showing me still photos of the throwing motions of 10 or so quarterbacks.… he studies them, analyzing the hand motion as the ball leaves the fingertips, which he feels is crucial to accuracy and a strong throw. Romo has become a technician of The Throw.

Read the rest: http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2015/09/17/tony-romo-dallas-cowboys-week-2-nfl

Last edited:

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
It's a good explanation of why Romo holds the ball until the last seconds on the play clock. Not that most of us needed an explanation of that.

He didn't let the play clock run down on a number of this snaps down the stretch. I am one who believes the offense on occasion needs to play with more tempo. Not all the time, but when things get bogged down Tony seems to play better when he has a defense on it's heals and they play fast.

Sportsbabe

Reaction score
The Maturation of Romo

Infamous for his failures in the clutch, Tony Romo worked hard to fix careless mistakes and is now changing the narrative. Here's how he's doing it, plus a note on Denver's wild win and what to watch in Week 2.

Cris Collinsworth said exactly what I was thinking as the Cowboys exulted after their second Tony Romo-led touchdown drive in the last six minutes beat the Giants on Sunday night in Texas. “Tony Romo’s taken a lot of heat over the years for not playing in the clutch,” Collinsworth told America on NBC. “That was pretty darn strong.”

The next test for Romo and the Cowboys comes Sunday in Philadelphia. But last Sunday, there were two plays—one on each 70-plus-yard touchdown drive—that showed the maturation of Romo, and why the Cowboys, even without Dez Bryant for probably half the season now, are such a dangerous team.

The answer to his newfound productive efficiency, can be found, first, in his smart phone.

Yes, Romo’s phone. In training camp this summer, I sat with him for an hour after practice one day. Romo started the conversation—well, after riffing on Bruce Springsteen, who was playing in the background of the interview; a couple of times Romo just stopped in the conversation and sang a lyric—by showing me still photos of the throwing motions of 10 or so quarterbacks.… he studies them, analyzing the hand motion as the ball leaves the fingertips, which he feels is crucial to accuracy and a strong throw. Romo has become a technician of The Throw.

Read the rest: http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2015/09/17/tony-romo-dallas-cowboys-week-2-nfl

:bow::bow::bow:

tecolote

Reaction score
That was a good read. Though, I still get agitated when people act like Romo was just a disaster waiting to happen prior to a couple years ago and once again, that narrative is put out there when it was never true.

Exactly, he did have 28 tds and 19 ints 2012 but he neglects to say he had 31 tds and 10 ints in 2011 and 26 and 9 two years before that.

JIMMYBUFFETT

Skinwalker
Reaction score
He didn't let the play clock run down on a number of this snaps down the stretch. I am one who believes the offense on occasion needs to play with more tempo. Not all the time, but when things get bogged down Tony seems to play better when he has a defense on it's heals and they play fast.

When the offense bogs down or in the hurry up sure I agree. There's been a lot of complaints about it on this forum though about him holding the ball in all circumstances.

JoeBoBBY

Reaction score
That was a good read. Though, I still get agitated when people act like Romo was just a disaster waiting to happen prior to a couple years ago and once again, that narrative is put out there when it was never true.

Its ridiculous; As I was reading the article, I started to get a little Irritated with the tone of Kings comments, and the narrative.

How about you go %^&%^&%^&%^& Peter King;

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
“I progress through a lot of people really quickly. If there is one thing that I was given a gift with, it’s spatial awareness and the ability to process information very fast. So what I have to do then, because I go through it so quickly, is to play slower. I need to get my feet back, get set, be in a stationary position and understand what I like to refer to as a balanced pocket and from there I can get through a lot of stuff with very quiet feet to minimize turnovers.”

This is what separates Tony from other QBs, and it always has.

JoeBoBBY

Reaction score
When the offense bogs down or in the hurry up sure I agree. There's been a lot of complaints about it on this forum though about him holding the ball in all circumstances.

Its plain to see why it happens. However, I am of the opinion, its shouldnt happen. Its a bad habit to get into;

1. you lose the edge of knowing when the ball will be snapped and the Defense can just T-off. Dont underestimate that edge.
2. its seems to be unstructured and slapped together which I think carries into the play abd body lanaguage of the players....
and a lot of other stuff...

I dont think I've ever see any successful offense do that on a consistent basis and certainly not by design!

lkelly

Reaction score
What a waste. Why can't Peter go back to writing about coffee, IPAs, plus Laura and Mary Beth's softball or Field Hockey exploits? I mean there wasn't even a freakin' Haiku at the end! That's the stuff America wants to read about.

lkelly

Reaction score
Its plain to see why it happens. However, I am of the opinion, its shouldnt happen. Its a bad habit to get into;

1. you lose the edge of knowing when the ball will be snapped and the Defense can just T-off. Dont underestimate that edge.
2. its seems to be unstructured and slapped together which I think carries into the play abd body lanaguage of the players....
and a lot of other stuff...

I dont think I've ever see any successful offense do that on a consistent basis and certainly not by design!

Peyton Manning has used all of the play clock at the line waiting for defenses to tip off their plan. He's done it for years. I'd categorize those systems in Indy and Denver as successful.

Thefeelofcotton

Mandalorian
Reaction score
I was one of Romo's biggest critics from 2007 until 2 years ago. I didn't like his cavalier attitude when it came to how he just the the ball into double, and sometimes triple, coverage. Granted, he didn't have the O-Line then that he has now, but if anything that should have made him be MORE careful with the football. I wish Romo had matured a little sooner than his mid-30s, but I am LOVING what I am seeing now. I wasn't worried one bit about him throwing a INT in the last drive, not one bit. I knew he would get us downfield in a position to score. I am not afraid to eat crow and say that Romo is proving everyone of his critics wrong, even me.