Recommended Peter King: Inside the mind of Tony Romo, sort of. My Friday GamePlan

cmoney23

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing, I enjoyed the article.

But honestly. Romo has been fantastic his entire career. And if he throws a late pick next week or we lose this will all be for not.

Stop living game by game and just enjoy the ride.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
I wouldn't say Romo was a disaster waiting to happen, but he did make bad decisions. Even he admits he did.

“One thing that used to hurt me that I’ve really worked on,” he said, “is not having reactionary throws anymore. So if things are moving too fast and you can’t see people and can’t get it to an open guy, you get the ball to the ground. Just throw at people’s feet. You see if I miss someone, a lot of times I did it on purpose just because I’m being safe with the throw because I’m under duress. Instead of forcing it, now my reactionary throw is to get rid of the ball and move on to the next play. I understand that we are explosive enough to come back on second-and-15, or second-and-10.

But I never doubted he had the talent to be a great quarterback. He just needed a scheme that protected him and allowed him to mature and develop.

It's kind of like a boy who has to become the "man of the house" earlier than he should. He's going to make mistakes. But because he has that "leadership" in him, he's going to eventually mature into a true leader - if he doesn't get discouraged and destroyed by the process.

I can see Romo now throwing balls away (something Bill Parcells said he needed to do earlier in his career) instead of taking chances. Some fans bemoan the fact he didn't find the open receiver. But it's not just a matter of the receiver being open, but whether the defender has the speed and the angle to disrupt the play.

Snap shots of plays we tend to examine after the fact, don't tell you that. People who are slow themselves or lack spatial awareness (I see it all the time in college and high school and little league, i.e., coaches who have no understand of speed, how their opponents use it and how they can use the speed they have on their roster) can't see this. To them, they think every receiver is open on every play. But they don't understand that a quarterback has to process reaction time of his receivers and the reaction time of the defenders. And what may seem "open" to us, is not open to a quarterback like Romo.

I'm proud of Romo, and I fully expect him to lead this team to a Super Bowl now that we have the right pieces in place.

Good article by the Meister Burger. :)

jrumann59

Reaction score
Romo has made some inexcusable throws in his day.

He's clearly always had the talent but he's always clearly had the random deer in the headlights plays as well.

The thing about him though is he puts it behind him and learns from his mistakes and just tries to improve.

When it is on you to keep your team close or try and carry your team to a win, you will stumble. When your team as whole is not reliable and you are thinking every drive has to get points you will make mistakes or not make the plays. I mean Reggie Jackson is known as Mr October for his play but it isn't like he batted a 1.000 he had strikeouts at key times.

cowboys2233

Reaction score

He's clearly always had the talent but he's always clearly had the random deer in the headlights plays as well.

That is just so off the mark. Deer in the headlights? Anything but. Maybe he was TOO aggressive and too much of a risk taker -- although I will suggest that he did what he had to to give the team a chance to win and playing on the very edge was the only way -- but deer in the headlights? Please. Do you even know what that means?

JoeBoBBY

Reaction score
Lets go back through Brett Favres career.................LOL!!!

We dont even need to.

The last play I remember him making, was some lame INT with the game tied, in the playoffs, around mid field. A ball that didnt need to be thrown.....but he pulled that trigger and cost his team, those players on his team, a playoff victory.....

The GREATEST OF ALL TIME, THE Brett Favre in his 35th season!

Shall we go down the line? Manning, etc etc.

You know , I dont have much on Brady, but im sure I can find "something" if I look.....

There are some QBs in history who, just didnt have those blunders..... But 99% of them. DO.

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
Yeah, he's taken a lot of heat for a narrative invented by the mediots that only looks at half the picture. When you overemphasize something, you have to continuously keep projecting your false generated image of the person even if he hasn't turned it around, but has simply had certain positive things come together that have helped him to make the real person shine to fools who were too blind or biased to see.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
In 2012, Romo had games with five, four, three and two interceptions, and Dallas lost them all on the way to a disappointing 8-8 season. He was a great stat quarterback, but also too careless, and he knew it.
Baloney. Romo had a lot of INT in 2012, but not before or after. 2012 was the year of Kevin Ogletree. Here are Romo's INT percentages to his top 4 targets (WR or TE):

Crayton 3.2
Witten 2.4
Austin 1.7
Williams 1.2

Bryant 3.3
Robinson 2.5
Witten 2.0
Austin 0.0

Ogletree 9.1
Austin 3.5
Witten 2.1
Bryant 1.5

Williams 2.8
Austin 2.3
Bryant 1.4
Witten 0.0

Bryant 4.0
Williams 1.8
Witten 1.2
Beasley 0.0

Romo's had 1,065 attempts since the beginning of the 2013 season, and he's thrown 21 INT. That's an interception every 50.7 attempts. Going back before 2012: In his last 1,065 attempts before the beginning of the 2012 season, he threw 23 INT. That's an interception every 46.3 attempts.

We're supposed to believe one less INT per season is the reason it's okay to think Romo is elite now.

65fastback2plus2

Reaction score
I was one of Romo's biggest critics from 2007 until 2 years ago. I didn't like his cavalier attitude when it came to how he just the the ball into double, and sometimes triple, coverage. Granted, he didn't have the O-Line then that he has now, but if anything that should have made him be MORE careful with the football. I wish Romo had matured a little sooner than his mid-30s, but I am LOVING what I am seeing now. I wasn't worried one bit about him throwing a INT in the last drive, not one bit. I knew he would get us downfield in a position to score. I am not afraid to eat crow and say that Romo is proving everyone of his critics wrong, even me.

the romo you're talking about is identical to andrew luck now...and luck gets praised as elite in some conversations.

the fact of the matter is, romo played superb then too...but he had a star on his helmet and thus had to take a lot of hit pieces.

cajuncocoa

✮ ✮ ✮ ✮ ✮
Reaction score

The thing about him though is he puts it behind him and learns from his mistakes and just tries to improve.

He played most of his career here with a terrible O-line. He had to scramble his life away and I think that was the reason for his desperation throws at times. He has a solid O-line now. Tony's performance will reflect that.

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
I know, it's insane. All one has to do is look at this single fact...

Since 2006, Romo has a higher passer rating than any other NFL quarterback in the 4th quarter.

So I guess he's been changing the narrative for the last ten years. I just want to shake these people to wake them the F up.

Wish there was a triple like button. ........