Peter King nuggets on Dak

Diehardblues

Reaction score
When was the last time Aaron Rodgers won a SB? Been a while maybe that's why the HC got fired...they didn't surround him with good enough draft picks...
True but when he was surrounded won a Super Bowl and 3 Championship appearances.

All QB’s need a supporting cast. It’s what they do with it that separates them from the pack.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
So, what's your $20 million/year option? I get that $30 million seems like a hell of a lot (and it is), but that can't be a stand alone factor. You have to factor in the alternatives, and given the market for players today, and especially QB's, where are you going to find a notably cheaper QB that gives the team as much chance to win?
Good point. And why I liked the Bortyles type contract. 3 years 50 million.

If Dak out performs that in next couple years you reward him with new contract.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
This article is useless to me. 5 years, 125 million, who wouldn't sign Dak to a contract for 25 a year with 90 guaranteed? That is nothing insightful.

I may agree or disagree about QBs on his list and where they rank but essentially, he paints a picture that has been hanging here since last season. Dak is not top 5, no kidding. Dak is not bottom 5, no kidding. Dak is somewhere in the middle, no kidding.

Article is uselss......

Cowfan75

Reaction score
Again I'll try to help your inability to understand what was written. King described Prescott's 1st three seasons as not being top 5, BUT, that huge word, BUT, King thinks that this season Prescott will play like a top 5 QB and will move himself into the Wilson range.

You can't just make stuff up to fit your narrative. Where in that article does he speak statistically of Dak's first 3 seasons? He talks about who he THINKS he is or isn't better than.

Hook'em#11

Reaction score
The problem is...Dak will go through games where he does NOT play well.

Sometimes it will go on for several games... for example the 3-5 start. The butt fumble in the endzone vs the Skins. The Carolina game. etc. etc.

Sometimes for a season. 2017.

Then he will play well. 7-1 finish to the 2018 season.

He also have problems throwing the freaking football.

That's why some of us are not solid on Dak. He has issues.

Understood. But, who do you turn to then? Without having a gap of 1 to 3 years of possibly worse play from the QB position? Whole team was bad last season at Carolina. As well as the game where the Cowboys made Trevor Siemian of all QBs look like Brady at Denver in 2017.

I agree Dak needs to improve, but, I believe this is where the Cowboys are at with the QB for now. Unless, there's a QB out there that can come right in and make this offense explode. Highly doubt it for now.

DenCWBY

Reaction score
One of the reasons we can't compare the 90's Cowboys with today's is the fact that there was no cap. Jones was paying backups starter money who after the cap started went to other teams and started. That made it easy to rotate players and keep the starters fresher. Also people using Brady's salary are being a little disingenuous. Brady had a small base salary and that is what people keep bringing up but they forget about all the bonus money he also got.
Correct and Brady earned the bonus $$ with his success, winning by hitting his personal bonus objectives. Can't criticize a player who puts his team ahead while creating his own $$ success with hitting his incentives. There also comes a point where you ask these players how many yachts they can ski behind (to take a line out of the movie, Wall Street). I also get "getting your $$", (as Deion and Irvin always refer) since there are no guarantees in the business with such a short playing cycle. There's a fine line of getting overpaid to the detriment of a winning and a player taking care of his own future.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
The problem is...Dak will go through games where he does NOT play well.

Sometimes it will go on for several games... for example the 3-5 start. The butt fumble in the endzone vs the Skins. The Carolina game. etc. etc.

Sometimes for a season. 2017.

Then he will play well. 7-1 finish to the 2018 season.

He also have problems throwing the freaking football.

That's why some of us are not solid on Dak. He has issues.
That can be said about every QB, especially early in their careers. Every QB has a bad game, bad stretch, will make bad throws or decisions. Every QB needs to have good coaching and players around them. Every QB needs to have some luck, catch a break or get a call once in awhile too.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
That can be said about every QB, especially early in their careers. Every QB has a bad game, bad stretch, will make bad throws or decisions. Every QB needs to have good coaching and players around them. Every QB needs to have some luck, catch a break or get a call once in awhile too.

Yep. Brady and Rodgers who are thought of as two oc the best ever have had bad stretches. Brady won a super bowl during an awful stretch(doubt Dak ever has a stretch that bad) due to the roster and coaches around him.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
Yep. Brady and Rodgers who are thought of as two oc the best ever have had bad stretches. Brady won a super bowl during an awful stretch(doubt Dak ever has a stretch that bad) due to the roster and coaches around him.
Even Peyton Manning, he was one of the worst starting QBs the year he won his last Super Bowl. Got benched in favor of Brock Osweiler, that's pretty bad. He threw 9 TDs and 17 INTs that season, ouch!

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Good point. And why I liked the Bortyles type contract. 3 years 50 million.

If Dak out performs that in next couple years you reward him with new contract.
You don’t have a couple of years to decide unless you are willing to franchise him, in which cas he gets paid top dollar anyway.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
You don’t have a couple of years to decide unless you are willing to franchise him, in which cas he gets paid top dollar anyway.
Unless you only extend him 3 years as I suggested. Then you could come back if he had more success and open up the checkbook so to speak before that contract was over.

I really don’t believe at this point Dak would fetch top dollar in Free Agency.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Even Peyton Manning, he was one of the worst starting QBs the year he won his last Super Bowl. Got benched in favor of Brock Osweiler, that's pretty bad. He threw 9 TDs and 17 INTs that season, ouch!
True but he provided proven leadership and experience down the stretch and in the playoffs. He wasn’t needed to carry the team but didn’t cost them either.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
True but he provided proven leadership and experience down the stretch and in the playoffs. He wasn’t needed to carry the team but didn’t cost them either.
He didn't provide leadership down the stretch, he was benched for Osweiler who started the last 7 games of the season. They benched Manning because he was starting to cost them games, he had just thrown 4 INTs and posted a 0.0 QB rating in his last regular season start. The only reason he didn't cost them games in the playoffs was that the rest of the team was good enough to carry him.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
You can't just make stuff up to fit your narrative. Where in that article does he speak statistically of Dak's first 3 seasons? He talks about who he THINKS he is or isn't better than.

This is where the saying reading between the lines. He talked about extending Prescott now because if he has the year Kings thinks he going to have and the Cowboys wait until after this season to sign him then he will be in the Wilson's range. Again reading between the lines, when he said he's not a top 5 QB the inference is thus far but again King thinks he will have a great year in 2019. Does everything have to be spelled out using small words and short sentences for you to understand?

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Correct and Brady earned the bonus $$ with his success, winning by hitting his personal bonus objectives. Can't criticize a player who puts his team ahead while creating his own $$ success with hitting his incentives. There also comes a point where you ask these players how many yachts they can ski behind (to take a line out of the movie, Wall Street). I also get "getting your $$", (as Deion and Irvin always refer) since there are no guarantees in the business with such a short playing cycle. There's a fine line of getting overpaid to the detriment of a winning and a player taking care of his own future.

Except Brady's bonuses were/are roster, signing and restructing bonus. There were/are no incentive bonuses. I think that would be degrading for a QB like Brady to have to hit incentives to get extra bucks and I think the Pats and Brady agree because there were/are no incentive bonuses in his contract. He's been really good for to many years to have to have incentive bonuses.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
When was the last time Aaron Rodgers won a SB? Been a while maybe that's why the HC got fired...they didn't surround him with good enough draft picks...

Where as Rodgers has had some injury problems the past few seasons, missing sometimes at least half of the season, the peckers also have had defensive problems since their last Super Bowl appearance in some of those years. Like either you or someone here said, this is the ultimate team game.

Cowfan75

Reaction score
This is where the saying reading between the lines. He talked about extending Prescott now because if he has the year Kings thinks he going to have and the Cowboys wait until after this season to sign him then he will be in the Wilson's range. Again reading between the lines, when he said he's not a top 5 QB the inference is thus far but again King thinks he will have a great year in 2019. Does everything have to be spelled out using small words and short sentences for you to understand?

"Reading between the lines" is you taking what he said a certain way. It's your opinion, in other words. First you claim something is said specifically, then backtrack and say it's between the lines. If you don't see a contradiction there, good for you. As I say, no points off for trying!