News: Peter King on Dallas' first pick

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Or a WR if available. Same thing. Being at 17 with valuable players raining like cats and dogs is a good thing for us.

We will know what we want and options will appear. Can we screw up? Sure.

Look at Taco and Hill. We are as prone to messing it up as much as scoring well.

It's going to get really interesting soon.
The odds of screwing up have diminished though, Im not too concerned with Garrett and company no longer around.
Just have a feeling this going to be a really good draft, that most on this board will agree on for once.

Batman1980

Reaction score
I dislike Looney enough that I'd be happy with Ruiz in the 1st round, after a trade down to acquire another 2nd.

Playmaker3128

Reaction score
I remember when we passed on the DT that went to Minnesota (forgot his name) and ended up trading back and taking frederick. This board had a meltdown. It was the right choice.

Not saying i'd love taking a center, but if he's good then so be it. People will look at it as a lateral move, but i look at it this way. Our oline stays dominant and now we have a competent head coach to go along with that.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
The odds of screwing up have diminished though, Im not too concerned with Garrett and company no longer around.
Just have a feeling this going to be a really good draft, that most on this board will agree on for once.
I hope as well.

It's fine to shove all the blame on Garrett.

The reality is that Garrett was just an employee puppet. He really had very little authority to make decisions.

That means Jerrah and Stephen are really responsible. McCarthy now is in the barrel.

My overall feeling is it's up in the air. As a fan I hope for change. As a business owner myself, I know change, real change, often takes time.

I have small faith at this point. Jerrah has trouble separating his money goals and his football goals.

Since expanding his real estate holdings with ATT and the Star..the football product has greatly been affected.

None of that has changed. So this McCarthy hire is somewhat a bandage on a major wound.

That's just me on the outside looking in.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Training camp menu's are his specialty.

Yeah, now he gets paid to do fluff pieces, interviews, and talk about coffee and beer. Great work if you can get it but he's not any sort of 'insider' any more and hasn't broken news for over a decade.

Cruise control.

dckid

Reaction score
I hope as well.

It's fine to shove all the blame on Garrett.

The reality is that Garrett was just an employee puppet. He really had very little authority to make decisions.

That means Jerrah and Stephen are really responsible. McCarthy now is in the barrel.

My overall feeling is it's up in the air. As a fan I hope for change. As a business owner myself, I know change, real change, often takes time.

I have small faith at this point. Jerrah has trouble separating his money goals and his football goals.

Since expanding his real estate holdings with ATT and the Star..the football product has greatly been affected.

None of that has changed. So this McCarthy hire is somewhat a bandage on a major wound.

That's just me on the outside looking in.

I agree. You are much nicer than me. The Cowboys are just another business to the Jones family. Winning a SB is not even in their top 10 list of goals for running the franchise.
I am being 100% transparent here, but as a die hard fan. I really think we need to be honest with ourselves. I have seen very little signs over the past 25 years that show me that Jerry wants to or even cares about winning another SB.
He has three rings, HOF'er, most valuable franchise in all of professional sports ( world wide)
As long as the team is between 7-9 and 10-6, Jerry is happy. Just look at the past several years. He has the best circus in town. ESPN, FS1, you name the network love the Cowboys. We haven't won anything in 25 years but the media loves to hate us or loves to love us.
Team building means nothing to this organization. Yes they have gotten better at drafting, yes they didn't draft Johnny Manziel. Why do we always reward them for doing what is expected?
How many times have you heard Jerry say new triplets? Just because that formula worked in 1991 does not mean it will work now. It is so sad to see this multi billion dollar organization run like a clown show.
This team should hire the most innovative, cutting edge scouts, GM, talent evaluators that money can buy.
Many of you will call me a pessimist, or go root for another team. But why would I? This is the only team I have loved since 1983.
The culture in Dallas will never change as long as Jerry's ego is running the show.
There will be a big celebration 25 years from now when we win the SB, like the 2004 Red Sox.
Our Front has done the same thing over the past 24-25 years yet we expect different results.

jnday

Reaction score
Exactly. Defensive players (especially in the back half of the first round) take a long *** time to develop

We spent a first rounder on Tyron, Martin, Frederick, Amari, Elliott and got immediate high level play day 1.

Taco didn't do jack, Claiborne was an average starter, and Byron/D-law took so long to develop that we really only got 1 high level year out of them on the cheap portion of there rookie deal.

An immediate day 1 impact player on defense at #17 is going to take some luck.
I agree. It is not like the team has ignored defense. They have spent a lot of draft picks intended to upgrade the defense and they have not panned out. The offense was the problem in a lot of the losses last year when they couldn’t move the ball until the 4th quarter after they had got too far behind on the scoreboard. This team has more problems than just defense and they are really not drafting high enough to improve them all. They will be lucky to get one defensive starter out of the bunch.

jnday

Reaction score
i can digest a trade down but i cannot do it at 17.
I am a firm believer in taking the player you have targeted if he is available when it is your time to make the pick. Getting fancy doesn’t work out very often. If the 17th pick is not good enough for Dallas to use on a player, why would there be teams lined up if the remaining players are not worthy of the pick? Trade partners are much harder to come by than fans think they are.

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
I am a firm believer in taking the player you have targeted if he is available when it is your time to make the pick. Getting fancy doesn’t work out very often. If the 17th pick is not good enough for Dallas to use on a player, why would there be teams lined up if the remaining players are not worthy of the pick? Trade partners are much harder to come by than fans think they are.

Bingo, that is why I said over a week ago, in order to do a trade back there must be a team willing to come up into your spot and willing to give up some capital in order to do so.