Peter King talks about officiating last night

AbeBeta

Reaction score
HowAboutThemCowboys;1666901 said:
Not according to the announcers. They were saying after Roy's penalty that they tweaked the rule to include grabbing of the jersey which is what Roy did.

you have to grab and bring the player down immediately in a position that makes the legs bend backwards. just grabbing on and tackling is not a horse collar.

I think that was one of the few things the refs did get right last night.

03EBZ06

Need2Speed
Reaction score
abersonc;1666892 said:
Those weren't horse collar tackles. You can grab the back of the jersey - that isn't a violation of the rule.
I disagree, it was horsecollar, their hand was clearly grapping back of shoulder pad. Also, In 2005, the owners voted in a change that includes grabbing the back of the jersey as a horse collar tackle.

NextGenBoys

Reaction score
You guys this is pathetic. We sound like Commander fans constantly whining about the officiating. There may have been a bad call or two, but that always happens in almost every game. We won the game 34-10, lets just enjoy the win, and not have to always bring up the officiating and how everyone hates the Dallas Cowboys.

Now with that being said, How bout dem Cowboys?

burmafrd

Reaction score
One or two - how about 5 or 10? When you cannot even see that you really need your eyes checked.

LandryFan

Proud Native Texan, USMC-1972-79, USN-1983-2000
Reaction score
NextGenBoys;1666999 said:
You guys this is pathetic. We sound like Commander fans constantly whining about the officiating. There may have been a bad call or two, but that always happens in almost every game. We won the game 34-10, lets just enjoy the win, and not have to always bring up the officiating and how everyone hates the Dallas Cowboys.

Now with that being said, How bout dem Cowboys?

No, the officiating was so bad that it shouldn't go without comment. If Dallas had lost the game, I could see your point about comparing to foreskins, but since we won, it's not ********, it's justified commentary!

AbeBeta

Reaction score
03EBZ06;1666939 said:
I disagree, it was horsecollar, their hand was clearly grapping back of shoulder pad. Also, In 2005, the owners voted in a change that includes grabbing the back of the jersey as a horse collar tackle.

You are missing a major part of the rule here -- it isn't just grabbing -- here is the text of the rule:

All players are prohibited from grabbing the inside collar of the back of the shoulder pads or jersey, or the inside collar of the side of the shoulder pads or jersey, and immediately pulling down the runner. This does not apply to a runner who is in the tackle box or to a quarterback who is in the pocket. Previously, the “horse-collar” tackle rule did not include the back of the shoulder pads or jersey. This increases the scope of the rule. Penalty: Loss of 15 yards.

That "immediately" part looms large in this discussion.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
The only call that we can REALLY be upset with is the end of the first half deal.

The ref CLEARLY lost sight of the down b/c he made the motion to wind the clock -- he failed to recognize the change of possession - had he been aware of the 4th down, he would have immediately looked to the clock.

The other stuff sucks but, over the course of a season, judgment calls like even out.

sago1

Reaction score
I thought I heard this morning, maybe on Talkin Cowboys, that one camera turned up to have a better shot and it was indeed a fumble.

playmakers

Reaction score
Every week the head of officationg mike Ferria is on NFL network, does anyone know what day that is. I know its consistent every week.

khiladi

Reaction score
Hoov;1666639 said:
the one call that did go our way was the fumble, it was difficult to see but it looked real close as to if his knee was down before the ball was ripped out. Could have gone either way, but that was a big game changer.

Not really.. not enough evidence to over-turn the play, meaning they called it as they should have..

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
playmakers;1667348 said:
Every week the head of officationg mike Ferria is on NFL network, does anyone know what day that is. I know its consistent every week.

I'm pretty sure it's Wednesday. You can e-mail Rich Eisen with questions for Mike Pereira at getrichquick@nfl.com.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
numnuts23;1666600 said:
The play where Romo slid past a diving Tommy Harris...they said the announcers were saying it was Romo's athleticism, but they said it was more because of a clip by L. Davis.

Romo didn't run the ball a single time last night, so exactly when was the play when he supposedly slid?

The worse however, was giving the play early in the 4th, where Barber kinda rolled up on the 1st down line (on TV), and they didn't measure it...it was 2nd down at the time....but they said it would have changed things

The refs aren't going by the yellow line on TV. If they know the chains are short of a yard line and the ball is touching the yard line, they don't need to measure.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
AdamJT13;1667385 said:
Romo didn't run the ball a single time last night, so exactly when was the play when he supposedly slid?
He ran quite a bit. He just happened to also throw it while running.

DasTex

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
AdamJT13;1667385 said:

The refs aren't going by the yellow line on TV. If they know the chains are short of a yard line and the ball is touching the yard line, they don't need to measure.

I meant slid as more of a side step, than an actual slide...my bad :D

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
theebs;1666698 said:
the officiating was really bad last week, just not in the cowboys game.

Troy aikman threw a nice backhanded comment at mike perraria? last night.

He was basically laughing at their explanation that the giants were penalized for the packers going offsides the week before.

MiKe P. Was just covering their butts.

Aikman might laugh at it, but Pereira was correct. It's a loophole in the rules, but that's what the rules say. Pereira doesn't make the rules, he just enforces them.

playmakers

Reaction score
AdamJT13;1667361 said:
I'm pretty sure it's Wednesday. You can e-mail Rich Eisen with questions for Mike Pereira at getrichquick@nfl.com.

I think we all should email him so they will address the situation. I never complian about officating at all because its so hard to refreee, but last night was just horrible. I can see missing one but at least four calls. The hold on Flozell was just horrible as well. His guy fell down and Flozell wasnt even touching him and they threw the flag.