Peter Warrick refuses paycut Agent is

Echo9

Erik_H
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
ravidubey said:
Yeah, and slice off the hands that feeds them like they were doing in Basketball, they're still doing in Baseball, and just got spanked for doing in Hockey.
Automatically guaranteed contracts would hurt both the NFL and players both by diverting a percentage of precious cap money to injured players or those who can no longer play.

The NFL proved it can break all comers including the Player's Union, the WFL and USFL, NBC, Maurice Clarett, all competing sports leagues, and a few Governors.
:hammer:

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Smith22 said:
Players know they can be cut at any time. That's just the way it is.

If they don't like it, then they should try and change the CBA. After all, they do have a union.
Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Bravo! :bravo:

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
ravidubey said:
Yeah, and slice off the hands that feeds them like they were doing in Basketball, they're still doing in Baseball, and just got spanked for doing in Hockey.
Automatically guaranteed contracts would hurt both the NFL and players both by diverting a percentage of precious cap money to injured players or those who can no longer play.

The NFL proved it can break all comers including the Player's Union, the WFL and USFL, NBC, Maurice Clarett, all competing sports leagues, and a few Governors.

God love em.

KDWilliams85

Reaction score
ravidubey,

It's shameful that you think that way. Terrell Owens was a free agent. He had the trade revoked and he was released from San Francisco.

As for his contract, that's Owens' problem. Philadelphia was the only team that bit after he spurned Baltimore the way he did. It was Owens' choice to sign that contract. Now, he's complaining that it wasn't enough. He's complaining that he should be paid like the top receiver in the game and he's not really even that good. Harrison, Moss, and Holt are the top three receivers in the game. Those three are lethal against any defense. Owens lets his mouth play his game. More to the point, neither of those three receivers don't throw their QB under the bus when they blow the biggest game of their life. That makes Owens very low.

His "Me First" bull is gonna stop one way or another. Whether the Eagles terminate him or they force him to stay and not play. He will be humbled.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
burmafrd said:
Hines Ward is about the only guy I sympathise with- he has played very well for years and his contract is up- HE deserves a big deal. The others are not in the same category.

I would add Walker in there as well. I believe he is playing in the last year of his rookie contract for something like 500K or less. This guy has way out produced his contract. He has been asking for a restructure since the end of last season. The Pack told him to pound sand. Favre put pressure on him to come in. I don't know that I would have done that. If he gets hurt this year, he's screwed.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
burmafrd said:
Hines Ward is about the only guy I sympathise with- he has played very well for years and his contract is up- HE deserves a big deal. The others are not in the same category.

So if its just a matter of who deserves it or not, not the principle of obligating a contract with terms that you agreed to, if Julius Jones has a huge year this year you would have no problem with him holding out next year for feature RB money next year rather than play on a 2nd round draft pick contract.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
InmanRoshi said:
So if its just a matter of who deserves it or not, not the principle of obligating a contract with terms that you agreed to, if Julius Jones has a huge year this year you would have no problem with him holding out next year for big money next year rather than play on a 2nd round draft pick contract.

I can only speak for myself but in my opinion, I don't think contracts and money should be treated as black and white. Both players and teams need to work together on these types of issues or there will never be a long term arrangement. Teams can not be so inflexable to the point of riggidity and players can not be so self serving to the point of cap hell. Good owners never let it get there. Good owners should restructure when players are playing for well below market value. On the other hand, a player, IMO, should not be looking for a new contract when he's a year into the deal and he's getting paid well above market value. It's just bad business IMO.

ravidubey

Reaction score
KDWilliams85 said:
ravidubey,

It's shameful that you think that way. Terrell Owens was a free agent. He had the trade revoked and he was released from San Francisco.

As for his contract, that's Owens' problem. Philadelphia was the only team that bit after he spurned Baltimore the way he did. It was Owens' choice to sign that contract. Now, he's complaining that it wasn't enough. He's complaining that he should be paid like the top receiver in the game and he's not really even that good. Harrison, Moss, and Holt are the top three receivers in the game. Those three are lethal against any defense. Owens lets his mouth play his game. More to the point, neither of those three receivers don't throw their QB under the bus when they blow the biggest game of their life. That makes Owens very low.

His "Me First" bull is gonna stop one way or another. Whether the Eagles terminate him or they force him to stay and not play. He will be humbled.

I agree with you on many levels KD, but TO was never a free agent. He got an official "do-over" from the NFL because his agent was a jerk, but only between Baltimore, San Franscisco, and Philadelphia because Philly was willing to part with compensation and was thus positioned to help the deal happen.

TO could only deal with Philly and got a great cotnract by many standards except his. Consider that TO is still the best he'll ever be right now, is light years better than Muhammad, and is being paid much less than Muhammad.

The most competitive guys always feel this way.

Tony Dorsett, whom most of us adore, held out of his paid contract in 1985 and Randy White the year before. The year after Tony signed for 600K, the Cowboys signed Herschel Walker for a cool 1 million a year despite Herschel never having played a down of NFL football. Dorsett exploded in public outrage about this. Was he wrong to let his feelings be known? I don't think so, and thankfully Herschel's personality and talent went a long way to smoothing things over.

But TO knows he was shafted by his agent, knows he's better than Harrison and Muhammad and maybe even Moss, and knows Philly got away with scrooging him. He feels wronged and can't believe Philly's management doesn't care. When was the last time Harrison or Moss did anything worth mentioning in a playoff game? TO has done it repeatedly for two different teams. No one else has his combination of size, guile, speed, work-ethic, and hands. The only ones that come close are Moss and Holt, and neither has had to do it alone like Owens does.

He's not the only one who feels Philly's management is being cheap under the guise of being shrewd. Ask Westbrook and Simon who each helped Philly rise and waited for better deals only to watch their replacements get drafted in the offseason.

Philly just doesn't want to pay anyone-- that's why they used so many of their 13 draft picks. They feel they can continue their run by drafting cheaper replacements for the guys that got them where they are. Heck, it worked with Bobby Taylor and Troy Vincent, but it's a formula doomed to failure. Sooner or later you have to pay someone other than the quarterback.

joseephuss

Reaction score
ravidubey said:
I agree with you on many levels KD, but TO was never a free agent. He got an official "do-over" from the NFL because his agent was a jerk, but only between Baltimore, San Franscisco, and Philadelphia because Philly was willing to part with compensation and was thus positioned to help the deal happen.

TO could only deal with Philly and got a great cotnract by many standards except his. Consider that TO is still the best he'll ever be right now, is light years better than Muhammad, and is being paid much less than Muhammad.

The most competitive guys always feel this way.

Tony Dorsett, whom most of us adore, held out of his paid contract in 1985 and Randy White the year before. The year after Tony signed for 600K, the Cowboys signed Herschel Walker for a cool 1 million a year despite Herschel never having played a down of NFL football. Dorsett exploded in public outrage about this. Was he wrong to let his feelings be known? I don't think so, and thankfully Herschel's personality and talent went a long way to smoothing things over.

But TO knows he was shafted by his agent, knows he's better than Harrison and Muhammad and maybe even Moss, and knows Philly got away with scrooging him. He feels wronged and can't believe Philly's management doesn't care. When was the last time Harrison or Moss did anything worth mentioning in a playoff game? TO has done it repeatedly for two different teams. No one else has his combination of size, guile, speed, work-ethic, and hands. The only ones that come close are Moss and Holt, and neither has had to do it alone like Owens does.

He's not the only one who feels Philly's management is being cheap under the guise of being shrewd. Ask Westbrook and Simon who each helped Philly rise and waited for better deals only to watch their replacements get drafted in the offseason.

Philly just doesn't want to pay anyone-- that's why they used so many of their 13 draft picks. They feel they can continue their run by drafting cheaper replacements for the guys that got them where they are. Heck, it worked with Bobby Taylor and Troy Vincent, but it's a formula doomed to failure. Sooner or later you have to pay someone other than the quarterback.

T.O. also was given the chance to let an indepentent arbitrator/mediator decide his case last year. In the end, he and the NFL agreed to come to a compromise prior to the ruling. There was a very good chance he could have won his case and become a free agent. This despite the fact that he and his agent missed the official deadline for filing the appropriate paper work. He could have forced the NFL to allow the arbitrator to rule on the case, but he didn't.

By the way, Tony Ds hold outs and contract complaints always bothered me, but he never created the circus that T.O. has today.

ravidubey

Reaction score
Tony was about as circus as it got back in the day. He made sure he got right in front of a camera and voiced his opinion the minute he had one! Remember his "Captain Scab" picketing of Randy White during the '87 player strike?

As for TO's arbitrator, what difference would he have made at that point once TO had missed so much of the FA signing period? TO was banking on Philly setting things right. Warren Moon (or was it Boomer Esiason?) had a rider clause in his contract that continually paid raises should his salary slip below the top 3 QB's in the league. What's wrong with TO wanting the same thing?

Just by the myriad number of threads you can see how pivotal TO is to his team... and anyone who plays against him. Is it so wrong to pay him the average guaranteed money of the guaranteed money of the top three WR contracts?

joseephuss

Reaction score
ravidubey said:
Tony was about as circus as it got back in the day. He made sure he got right in front of a camera and voiced his opinion the minute he had one! Remember his "Captain Scab" picketing of Randy White during the '87 player strike?

As for TO's arbitrator, what difference would he have made at that point once TO had missed so much of the FA signing period? TO was banking on Philly setting things right. Warren Moon (or was it Boomer Esiason?) had a rider clause in his contract that continually paid raises should his salary slip below the top 3 QB's in the league. What's wrong with TO wanting the same thing?

Just by the myriad number of threads you can see how pivotal TO is to his team... and anyone who plays against him. Is it so wrong to pay him the average guaranteed money of the guaranteed money of the top three WR contracts?

There is nothing wrong with that. Perhaps he should have asked for that type of contract last year before signing it. I know his agent has some responsibilities, but in the end, it is the player that makes the demands. The agent works for him. How dumb do you have to be to sign a contract that isn't making you one of the top 5 receivers in the game? Why did he wait a year to renegotiate. He could have done that last year before ever signing it. That is his tough luck. He now has to deal with the repercussions. I don't feel sorry for him and I don't feel sorry for the Eagles. Both sides knew what they were doing then.

Tony D dealt with the repercussions. He crossed the picket line. He was then traded after that strike season.