Twitter: Peters and WR Michael Gallup both have a chance to play next Monday

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
Depends a lot on their expectations and plans for Tyron. If Tyron is seen as done, keep Tyler at LT. If they expect him back, and plan on keeping him next year, play Tyler at LG.
They have to pull the plug on Tyron Smith. He has not been able to shake the injury bug and we are talking significant injuries that keep him out for extended time. He also has degenerative issues with his back and neck. Those issues don't go away. He is a great warrior and a HOF Player, but his time has passed.

It's a risky move to keep changing up Tyler Smith' s technique with position changes. He is not a swing player. He has shown he may well be the LT of the future and they have to allow him to become a dominant force at that position.

Peters is an insurance policy and the Cowboys need to improve the C and LG positions. McGovern will hopefully be back soon.

CCBoy

Reaction score
I think we'll see Peters at LT and Smith at LG that will be a monster combination in the run game.
Then Martin at right guard and right tackle being Terence Steele. The Dallas offensive line is headed to every bit as tough as the Philadelphia line is looking...as well now. That with more projected depth as well.

SixFiveCowboy

Reaction score
Then Martin at right guard and right tackle being Terence Steele. The Dallas offensive line is headed to every bit as tough as the Philadelphia line is looking...as well now. That with more projected depth as well.

Honestly that would be our best 5 OL with Tyler remaining at center I honestly think that helps all of the problems because we can play a legitimate power football game plan.

Reactions: BAT

glimmerman

Reaction score
Anyone notice how Steele did this week. Peters could be a rotational upgrade at RT. He could help at LG if he can play there at a high level. Of kick Tyler at LG and Peters at LT. I see him rotating in and out. Run the ball while he is in.

Reactions: BAT

McKDaddy

Reaction score
The Cowboys may have hit on a dude who can play LT at a high level for them the next decade. You want to move him inside?

I was all for throwing him in the deep end because I didn't see any better options in the short term. He has exceeded best hopes.

But, let's not kid ourselves he's two weeks into his rookie year. He practiced at G all summer. You put him where it best suits the needs of the team. Playing at G beside Peters isn't going to hurt his learning curve to be the long term LT. If he stays at LT & Peters is the G, fine. He'll learn a ton either way.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
Cowboys need to do the right thing, the smart thing, with Peters instead of trying to be smarter than everyone.

Which is why I said in another thread that Peters is the key. If he wants to play LT, you defer to his resume. It's not like you'll be asking Smith to do something he wasn't practicing all summer (to play G).

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
Anyone notice how Steele did this week. Peters could be a rotational upgrade at RT. He could help at LG if he can play there at a high level. Of kick Tyler at LG and Peters at LT. I see him rotating in and out. Run the ball while he is in.

Steele was the highest rated OL vs Bengals.

Even higher than Zack.

Ring6

StarSchema
Reaction score
With the release of Houston maybe we see Tolbert. He must have had good practices.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
They have to pull the plug on Tyron Smith....
It's a risky move to keep changing up Tyler Smith' s technique with position changes. He is not a swing player. He has shown he may well be the LT of the future and they have to allow him to become a dominant force at that position.

Peters is an insurance policy and the Cowboys need to improve the C and LG positions. McGovern will hopefully be back soon.

You're definitely in the "Tyler Stays at LT" camp.

I think they easily go the other way. Tyler back to LG. Jerry likes to win now.

Also, I really doubt Peters came to the Cowboys to be an insurance policy. His salary isn't a half a percent of his career earnings. Can't imagine he came here to ride the bench. He was told he'd play, otherwise he's just not here.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Both Peters and Gallup will be inserted into the lineup once the staff feels they're ready. Until then, what we're doing now has been working well. There's nothing to indicate that there's a desperate need to drastically change our current approach. Both Peters and Gallup will very likely be gradually inserted into the lineup when their actions in practice encourage it. No need to rush into premature changes. Evidently, we're on the right track. :cool:

Last edited: