CFZ Peters should be LT and Tyler Smith should be LG

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
If the Cowboys do sign Jason Peters, then I think the most logical way to play Peters is to have him at LT and Tyler Smith at LG. There are a few reasons for this. The first reason is because Tyler Smith was used at LG during training camp and the preseason. Part of the reason is because he's a bit raw for LT. I think starting him off at LG allows him to be shielded while he learns proper blocking in the NFL. By having Jason Peters, this can continue.

The second reason is because Jason Peters is a very similar type of tackle to Smith. So, by having Peters at LT with the knowledge that Peters has from having played such a long time in the NFL, Tyler Smith can learn from a highly experienced mentor how to use his strength at LT when blocking. Essentially, having Peters here allows us to mold a younger Jason Peters. This would allow us to help Smith to transition a bit more easily to LT when that time comes.

Finally, Peters, while with the Bears, was still very good at LT, and I think he is probably a bit more comfortable at LT. So, he'd be at a spot where he is able to block at his best, this improving our oline by virtue of this.

As such, I think the right move, if the Cowboys sign Jason Peters, is to have Jason Peters at LT and Tyler Smith at LG. At least to start off.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Think If I were to grab a get I’d rather have Fisher but if they Peters which I’m not certain they will I think putting him at LT would be a wise move

I would like Fisher, but, especially with Peters visiting, I'd actually like it if Peters came here. I didn't think he'd do it, but, if he does, I think this would be the right move. His style is very similar to that of Tyler Smith. Therefore, it makes sense to have Peters here. Especially since Tyler does have some raw areas that need refining. Additionally, let's face it, Philbin isn't exactly a great oline coach. So, having an experienced player such as Peters who can teach Smith is vitaly important imo for his development.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
If the Cowboys do sign Jason Peters, then I think the most logical way to play Peters is to have him at LT and Tyler Smith at LG. There are a few reasons for this. The first reason is because Tyler Smith was used at LG during training camp and the preseason. Part of the reason is because he's a bit raw for LT. I think starting him off at LG allows him to be shielded while he learns proper blocking in the NFL. By having Jason Peters, this can continue.

The second reason is because Jason Peters is a very similar type of tackle to Smith. So, by having Peters at LT with the knowledge that Peters has from having played such a long time in the NFL, Tyler Smith can learn from a highly experienced mentor how to use his strength at LT when blocking. Essentially, having Peters here allows us to mold a younger Jason Peters. This would allow us to help Smith to transition a bit more easily to LT when that time comes.

Finally, Peters, while with the Bears, was still very good at LT, and I think he is probably a bit more comfortable at LT. So, he'd be at a spot where he is able to block at his best, this improving our oline by virtue of this.

As such, I think the right move, if the Cowboys sign Jason Peters, is to have Jason Peters at LT and Tyler Smith at LG. At least to start off.
Bingo, give this poster a prize!
:hammer:

Rayman70

Reaction score
regardless of the snake oil Jerry sells, He agrees. He understands the sitch. He aint about to tell us what they really think.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

If they actually a make this signing then its huge.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
If you drafted him to replace Tyron then you play him at LT as soon as possible..Sign Peters for sure but give Tyler every snap he can get at LT...if the diference in your season is a rookie's play at LT and a 40 yr olds play at LT...then you do not have your LT of the future. Will it be prime Tyron LT play no...but how long do you guys want to fear a Tyron injury sinks the season?

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
If you drafted him to replace Tyron then you play him at LT as soon as possible..Sign Peters for sure but give Tyler every snap he can get at LT...if the diference in your season is a rookie's play at LT and a 40 yr olds play at LT...then you do not have your LT of the future. Will it be prime Tyron LT play no...but how long do you guys want to fear a Tyron injury sinks the season?

Sure, but why rush it before he's ready? I think having Peters allows him to transition a bit more easily because he can learn some tricks and ideas that can help him when that time comes.