CFZ Peters should be LT and Tyler Smith should be LG

mattjames2010

Reaction score
If you drafted him to replace Tyron then you play him at LT as soon as possible..Sign Peters for sure but give Tyler every snap he can get at LT...if the diference in your season is a rookie's play at LT and a 40 yr olds play at LT...then you do not have your LT of the future. Will it be prime Tyron LT play no...but how long do you guys want to fear a Tyron injury sinks the season?

You keep posting this as if LT is a position you just plug and play. Again, we didn't even do this with Tyron Smith and he was competing with freakin' Doug Free.

If the Cowboys are confident Peters can play like he did last year with the Bears, you put him at LT.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
If the Cowboys do sign Jason Peters, then I think the most logical way to play Peters is to have him at LT and Tyler Smith at LG. There are a few reasons for this. The first reason is because Tyler Smith was used at LG during training camp and the preseason. Part of the reason is because he's a bit raw for LT. I think starting him off at LG allows him to be shielded while he learns proper blocking in the NFL. By having Jason Peters, this can continue.

The second reason is because Jason Peters is a very similar type of tackle to Smith. So, by having Peters at LT with the knowledge that Peters has from having played such a long time in the NFL, Tyler Smith can learn from a highly experienced mentor how to use his strength at LT when blocking. Essentially, having Peters here allows us to mold a younger Jason Peters. This would allow us to help Smith to transition a bit more easily to LT when that time comes.

Finally, Peters, while with the Bears, was still very good at LT, and I think he is probably a bit more comfortable at LT. So, he'd be at a spot where he is able to block at his best, this improving our oline by virtue of this.

As such, I think the right move, if the Cowboys sign Jason Peters, is to have Jason Peters at LT and Tyler Smith at LG. At least to start off.

I agree, although how soon that should happen depends on Peters' football-shape and knowledge of the Cowboys playbook/blocking schemes.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I agree, although how soon that should happen depends on Peters' football-shape and knowledge of the Cowboys playbook/blocking schemes.

If I were in the front office's position, I'd sign him. He played last year, I think, for somewhere around $1.3 mil. I'd probably round it up to $2-3 mil or so for one year. Then, I'd have him at LT immediately so that way we can more smoothly transition Tyler to LT when the time is right.

DallasDW00ds0n

Reaction score
We’ll wait until Dak is plastered multiple times in the first half before we make that much sense; that way Stephen Jones can come on the radio Tuesday and tell us that was part of the plan

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
If I were in the front office's position, I'd sign him. He played last year, I think, for somewhere around $1.3 mil. I'd probably round it up to $2-3 mil or so for one year. Then, I'd have him at LT immediately so that way we can more smoothly transition Tyler to LT when the time is right.
2 to 3 Million seems about right.
He has all the leverage given our lack of action at OT during the off season.
Time to pay the Piper , Jerry.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I agree, and I'm sharing what I'd do if I were the coaches if he gets signed.

The silver lining is that it might be better that Tyron went down now. Had he not, they probably just sign some swing tackles scrub and be done with it. Now we have a legitimate left tackle.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
You keep posting this as if LT is a position you just plug and play. Again, we didn't even do this with Tyron Smith and he was competing with freakin' Doug Free.

If the Cowboys are confident Peters can play like he did last year with the Bears, you put him at LT.

No if you have Tyron you let him play LG...Peters is a vet that was going to be an insurance policy for whom ever he went to..and this is not the same NFL from 15 years ago..people start rookies all over even at QB so now that your starting LT is injured you play your 1st round draft pick Rookie you signed for this exact reason.

quickccc

Reaction score
Should Peters' physical be ok and signs here, .. and once he's caught up to offense enuff,- i'm all on board with him eventually being the starting LT and Tyler the LG.

Despite his age, and considering his '21 game tape grades, blocking ratings and most importantly fairing well vs the likes of Bucs' Shaq Barrett and Ariz' Chandler Jones, that
would encouraging signs and indications to sign him on,

... now its' about negotiations and Stephen Jones' risk of low ballin' into a dirt cheap dollar store deal . :eek:

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
Should Peters' physical be ok and signs here, .. and once he's caught up to offense enuff,- i'm all on board with him eventually being the starting LT and Tyler the LG.

Despite his age, and considering his '21 game tape grades, blocking ratings and most importantly fairing well vs the likes of Bucs' Shaq Barrett and Ariz' Chandler Jones, that

... now its' about negotiations and Stephen Jones' risk of low ballin' into a dirt cheap dollar store deal . :eek:
Honest offer?
Yikes!

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
2 to 3 Million seems about right.
He has all the leverage given our lack of action at OT during the off season.
Time to pay the Piper , Jerry.

Yes, a shame we didn't do this sooner tbh.

The silver lining is that it might be better that Tyron went down now. Had he not, they probably just sign some swing tackles scrub and be done with it. Now we have a legitimate left tackle.

Additionally, despite the similar last names, Tyler is not a similar player to Tyron. However, the injury to Tyron may have forced Jerry to bring in a player who actually fits what we will need from Tyler better and can teach Tyler.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score

And we just so happen to be playing those Bucs to open the season. All the more reason, imo, that Peters is a must sign.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
No if you have Tyron you let him play LG...Peters is a vet that was going to be an insurance policy for whom ever he went to..and this is not the same NFL from 15 years ago..people start rookies all over even at QB so now that your starting LT is injured you play your 1st round draft pick Rookie you signed for this exact reason.

Here's my counter argument. Tyler's strength, as good as it is, might lead to holdings being called more often as a rookie at LT. However, at guard, he can mask it a bit until he learns better blocking skills. Having Peters will accelerate that development because they're similar. It's like trying to learn a system in any job. If you want to develop quickly, then it helps to have a mentor whose similarly-minded to you so that you can learn and become more acclimated at a more rapid pace. If you have someone who's way of thinking is different to yours, then the development is usually slower.

mattjames2010

Reaction score

You start rookies when that rookie is a QB who is going to be your franchise starter (who often already take over teams in bad shape) or other worldly talent. Tyler Smith is neither of these things.

LT is too important of a position that you just plug in a rookie and cross your fingers. Dak needs to be upright as much as possible, you can get away with a rookie at the guard positions or even RT - you don't mess around with LT and Center.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
Here's my counter argument. Tyler's strength, as good as it is, might lead to holdings being called more often as a rookie at LT. However, at guard, he can mask it a bit until he learns better blocking skills. Having Peters will accelerate that development because they're similar. It's like trying to learn a system in any job. If you want to develop quickly, then it helps to have a mentor whose similarly-minded to you so that you can learn and become more acclimated at a more rapid pace. If you have someone who's way of thinking is different to yours, then the development is usually slower.

All the more reason to let the kid play LT as much as possible...again no doubt his play will not be Prime Tyron Smith..but if you dont give him the reps you will be in the same spot next year when Tyron goes down and Peters is 41...Either he can play OT or he cant and if he cant i want to know now, not next year or in 2 years...1st round picks play in todays NFL if they need grooming then the pick needs to be evaluated. Its not like he played OG or C in college and we are hoping he can make the transition to OT.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
All the more reason to let the kid play LT as much as possible...again no doubt his play will not be Prime Tyron Smith..but if you dont give him the reps you will be in the same spot next year when Tyron goes down and Peters is 41...Either he can play OT or he cant and if he cant i want to know now, not next year or in 2 years...1st round picks play in todays NFL if they need grooming then the pick needs to be evaluated. Its not like he played OG or C in college and we are hoping he can make the transition to OT.

Maybe, but not early on, and especially not against the Bucs and Bengals early on. I'd start him off the first two weeks at LG at a minimum. Then, as he develops, I'd probably maybe mid-season or so move him to LT. Our schedule, after the first two weeks, gets easier (excluding the Rams game) until we play the Packers. Therefore, once we start playing teams who are weaker than we are, on paper, then I'd start letting him get reps at LT and moving Peters to LG. That way, it gives him a chance to develop and become comfortable with NFL blocking before we throw him against the best DEs that our opponents have to offer.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
You start rookies when that rookie is a QB who is going to be your franchise starter (who often already take over teams in bad shape) or other worldly talent. Tyler Smith is neither of these things.

LT is too important of a position that you just plug in a rookie and cross your fingers. Dak needs to be upright as much as possible, you can get away with a rookie at the guard positions or even RT - you don't mess around with LT and Center.

maybe we have a diferent opinion of Peters...you will not be getting Tyron Smith play at LT from him either...there is a reason he is avaiable as a big name LT when you cant name 32 good LT's in the league right now. So if my choices are a 40 year old vet or the 1st round pick rookie LT ...I'm starting the rookie.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score

Exactly, and if we lose Dak, then the season is lost anyway. Therefore, it makes more sense to me to let Tyler become acclimated before throwing him to the best DEs in the league. Let Peters handle them first. He knows all the moves that a DE can throw at him and how to counter them. Thus, Dak has a better chance at staying on his feet.