Peyton Manning can't win the big game.

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Seems like it gets posted every year dating back to his college days.

He wins some important games during the season but never wins the big game when it counts (in the playoffs).

Yes/no?

Dale

Forum Architect
Reaction score
The only problem about that statement is that the same thing can be said about every starting quarterback in the NFL today other than Tom Brady and Brett Favre. No other starter has won a Super Bowl -- not Culpepper, McNabb, Vick, McNair, etc.

Certainly it's true that Manning hasn't won the big game, but since it applies to so many other top-notch quarterbacks as well, I don't think it means Manning can't win it at some point.

Merlin

Reaction score
Sarge said:
Seems like it gets posted every year dating back to his college days.

He wins some important games during the season but never wins the big game when it counts (in the playoffs).

Yes/no?

Sure seems that way. I was thinking the same thing myself along with probably a thousand others. This will always be said about him until he wins either a conference championship or the Superbowl. I just knew that he was due this year after the year he had but obviously those regular season accolades dont mean much once you get into the playoffs.

Jimz31

The Sarcastic One
Reaction score
Well, this IS a TEAM sport, but that was the knock on him in college and was also the knock on him in the NFL until they finally won a playoff game last year (or the year before, I can't remember).

His window to win it all is short due to the money that they are handing out to just 3 players on offense.....leaves less money to spread around for defense.

Cbz40

The Grand Poobah
Reaction score
It's very difficult to win when...................7 min left in the 4th and you have had only two possesions in the 2nd half. ;)

Bobo

Reaction score
Crown Royal said:
Then neither does his o-line or receiver's.

I think they said the wr's had dropped 4 passes today? Not sure if they counted the te drops. Anyway, it's not all Peyton obviously. Something really has to be said for the Pats D, I didn't even think they could do this.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Cbz40 said:
It's very difficult to win when...................7 min left in the 4th and you have had only two possesions in the 2nd half. ;)

Boy isn't that the truth...

Evening CBZ.

Rezz

Mr. Blonde
Reaction score
One of the above posters mentioned it...there are plenty of "top-notch" QBs that haven't won it....but I think because Peyton is so stellar during the season that it becomes more noticeable when he doesn't win in the playoffs. I really think the perception is as simple as that.

SALADIN

Jumper
Reaction score
Dale said:
The only problem about that statement is that the same thing can be said about every starting quarterback in the NFL today other than Tom Brady and Brett Favre. No other starter has won a Super Bowl -- not Culpepper, McNabb, Vick, McNair, etc.

Certainly it's true that Manning hasn't won the big game, but since it applies to so many other top-notch quarterbacks as well, I don't think it means Manning can't win it at some point.

True Dale and you could also say the same about Marino.

I give more credit to the Pat's D than Manning's ineffectiveness.

Merlin

Reaction score
Dale said:

Manning is more recognizable for some because of his pedigree and in college, he was always great until the bowl games.

JDSmith

Reaction score
That's why it's more important to build a team around a QB than it is to find a great QB. Teams will win more than individual players, if the guy who you rely on totally has a bad day, you go home. It's harder for an entire team to collectively have a slump or down game than it is for one person. Maybe they should have saved some of those millions they spent on Manning and bought themselves a defense and some better players at other positions.

Cbz40

The Grand Poobah
Reaction score
MichaelWinicki said:
Boy isn't that the truth...

Evening CBZ.

Good evening Michael. Juke told me you were very busy this afternoon. :D

Yes you need the ball to score.

Dale

Forum Architect
Reaction score
Merlin said:
Manning is more recognizable for some because of his pedigree and in college, he was always great until the bowl games.

I don't recall his bowl record, but his inability to beat Florida (Tennessee's biggest game every year) had more to do with that label IMO.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Bobo said:
I think they said the wr's had dropped 4 passes today? Not sure if they counted the te drops. Anyway, it's not all Peyton obviously. Something really has to be said for the Pats D, I didn't even think they could do this.

It may not be "all him" but he is the one that will get most of the accolades when they win and therefore has to wear the title of "loser" until they do so.

I'm not saying it's fair... but it's reality.

Tenkamenin

Reaction score
He can win the big game, he just can't beat the Patriots. The Patriots defensive schemes are ridiculous, hard to beat these guys in the postseason on there field in these conditions.

Novacek84

Reaction score
Maybe if his offensive coordinator & coach called for some passes farther down the field he might have had a chance. I don't care if it was snowing, with the secondary NE is running out there you have to throw the ball deeper downfield and outside the numbers and at least make them make a play. Dinking and dunking in the middle of the field plays right into NE's hands. That's what they wanted Manning to do. Dungy is another one who is too conservative when he plays on the road. (Herm Edwards coached under him at Tampa Bay, FYI) Terrible play calling. That said, I agree that this was a put up or shut up game for Manning and he didn't get it done at all today. I don't wanna here any more about the great Manning until he wins at least an AFC title. At least Marino had the excuse all those years that he had no weapons except for the "Marks Bros." Manning doesn't have that excuse.

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
SALADIN said:
True Dale and you could also say the same about Marino.

I give more credit to the Pat's D than Manning's ineffectiveness.

All very good points - but at some point Manning is going to have to prove himself by winning a "big" game.

The guy is an amazing QB - but I think the question regarding his ability to win the big one is fair at this stage in his career.

The question really isn't, CAN he win the big one - it's WILL he?

Dale

Forum Architect
Reaction score
JDSmith said:
That's why it's more important to build a team around a QB than it is to find a great QB. Teams will win more than individual players, if the guy who you rely on totally has a bad day, you go home. It's harder for an entire team to collectively have a slump or down game than it is for one person. Maybe they should have saved some of those millions they spent on Manning and bought themselves a defense and some better players at other positions.

I don't think they should have necessarily spent less money on Manning, rather less money and high draft picks on guys like Dallas Clark and Reggie Wayne. Certainly those players are critical to their success on offense, but that offense was highly successful before those additions.

They could have spent those resources to rebuild/retool that defensive unit. That, I believe, is where the Indianpolis organization miscalculated.

Manning isn't the problem of that team. Replacing him and spending that $100 million on other players wouldn't have solved much IMO. They'd likely be in our position, scrambling to find a competent quarterback. But they didn't need to go overboard and use so much money and so many picks on offense.

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Tenkamenin said:
He can win the big game, he just can't beat the Patriots. .

Then I would submit he can't win the big game.

What bigger game for Indy than the Pats?