PFF Grades - Week 4

starfrombirth

Reaction score
well this might be true but here's the thing IF they are using he same grading scale for all teams and players in the same way, then it's accurate... it's like if ten of us use the same scale but you know it's off by 5 lbs its still gives you an accurate assessment of the weight differentials between the 10..
But they don't. They have a bunch of people who have to watch a bunch of games, so what you get is a report from someone who just skims through the games and all they are very subjective and susceptible to fan bias. You can go back through the history of PFF and see maaannny examples of where the grade is just downright ludicrous.

gtb1943

Reaction score
well this might be true but here's the thing IF they are using he same grading scale for all teams and players in the same way, then it's accurate... it's like if ten of us use the same scale but you know it's off by 5 lbs its still gives you an accurate assessment of the weight differentials between the 10..
anyone taking PFF as the gospel always amuses me
the same people that think analytics are everything
I have seen so many games over the years where they claim this player or that player either stank or was great and all too many times I could SEE they were full of it

jblaze2004

Reaction score
Too busy at work to do this yesterday

OFFENSE
Dak Prescott - 83.0 (56 snaps)
CeeDee Lamb - 79.6 (47 snaps)
Ezekiel Elliott - 79.5 (10 snaps)
Tyler Smith - 77.4 (56 snaps)
Terence Steele - 72.5 (56 snaps) - seems high to me, he was beaten a lot in pass protection
Rico Dowdle - 70.5 (25 snaps)
Zack Martin - 68.4 (53 snaps)
Jalen Tolbert - 63.3 (39 snaps)
Luke Schoonmaker - 62.0 (19 snaps)
Jake Ferguson - 60.2 (41 snaps)
Brandin Cooks - 56.6 (46 snaps)
Hunter Luepke - 52.4 (29 snaps) - 18.6 pass blocking grade, 37.0 run blocking grade. Moose Johnston, he's not.
Tyler Guyton - 50.4 (56 snaps) - 33.0 pass blocking grade - woof
Cooper Beebe - 42.6 (56 snaps) - 36.8 run blocking grade - yikes

DEFENSE
Mazi Smith - 88.4 (25 snaps) - 86.6 run stopping grade - performance of his career
DeMarvion Overshown - 77.7 (59 snaps)
Micah Parsons - 72.8 (56 snaps)
Osa Odighizuwa - 69.9 (52 snaps) - 30.0 tackling grade
Amani Oruwariye - 69.6 (33 snaps)
Donovan Wilson - 67.3 (68 snaps)
Marshawn Kneeland - 61.5 (35 snaps)
Malik Hooker - 60.9 (65 snaps) - 29.2 tackling grade
Jourdan Lewis - 59.7 (50 snaps) - 29.9 tackling grade
Carlos Watkins - 58.0 (10 snaps)
Eric Kendricks - 56.2 (67 snaps) - 45.6 tackling grade
Chauncey Golston - 56.1 (24 snaps)
Marist Liufau - 54.1 (26 snaps)
DeMarcus Lawrence - 52.1 (30 snaps) - 29.4 tackling grade
Trevon Diggs - 51.2 (67 snaps) - 27.7 tackling grade - woof
Linval Joseph - 49.5 (22 snaps)
Andrew Booth - 31.1 (27 snaps) - 28.3 coverage grade - great athlete, bad football player
Carl Lawson - 30.3 (22 snaps) - 24.0 tackling grade

It's safe to say that this defense is a poor tackling team.
Because we are a soft team. Babied players. Soft training camp. The list goes on.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I was so excited to see Mazi body slam a couple dudes. I hope this continues.

blueblood70

Reaction score
whoa buddy. Hold your horses. You assume way too much. I am well versed in the differences between a dumpster fire in Chazzy Green and Guyton. I am a big fan of Guyton and know he will have rough games, AND HE DID. It won't be his last. That said, its ok to be critical when its legit. He legit had rough game, BUT I never said thats all he will ever become. Chill and lower your anger. Guyton was holding on for dear life against the Giants. He must get that fixed, and he will. We are all adults here. Steelers will attack him, trust that. I might be more worried how Steele will handle Watt than how Guyton will do next week. I am worried about both our tackles. We cannot ignore that.
You called this game trash and I'm telling you that 70% of his game last game he was solid he had a couple trash plays that's the difference but you called the dude trash sorry I'm gonna get all over you this man is nowhere near Chaz green that would be a dumpster fire that would be trash I just wanna remind you of what that word really means we've seen a swinging door, IMHO Guyton is better than tyler biadish or conor williams or conor mcgovern there rookie years

blueblood70

Reaction score
But they don't. They have a bunch of people who have to watch a bunch of games, so what you get is a report from someone who just skims through the games and all they are very subjective and susceptible to fan bias. You can go back through the history of PFF and see maaannny examples of where the grade is just downright ludicrous.
So far off that some people in here of the players they don't like who had low grades they use that low grade to say see he sucks which is it I mean you can't only allow PFF grades to work when they give low grades the players you think play bad but when they give high grades to people you don't think deserve them you believe that you see the hypocrisy in here??

Literally it's the same way when you're watching videos and social media sports cast and they're talking about a player you don't like poorly everyone jumps all over it as if it's gold but if they say something good about a player you don't like you say it's all trash and that they don't know what they're talking about and they're overrated they shouldn't say things..

Rayman70

Reaction score
at times we have seen players play like trash, BUT that may not define their body of work or what they can become. Guyton had a bad day at the office last week. Trash would be a good description of how others have played all year. Micah has been doing his best Davd Copperfield and not just him. How many business decisions on defense do we need to see before its ok to call it what it is? I am old-school and use the eye test. I coached peewee ball. pop warner, and 2 years at the Highschool level and can tell you, football is football, the idea is the same at any level. Fundamentals and WANT TO go a long way to giving you chance to win. Right now, the defense and a few guys on the oline are lacking. I see way too much hero ball going on. Like Zim has said all offseason, DO YOUR JOB. Love Guyton, LOVE his attitude and work ethic. The kid will be fine, but it may take 2-3 years. Part of it isn't his fault, I blame Solari because he seems like he is unwilling to be flexible within his scheme. I wouldn't be shocked if we make change there next year.Lets give a great shout out to Mazi Smith and Overshown. They stood out for me, last 2 weeks actually. Even in the Saints game, I saw Mazi working hard and hustling. The young man is getting better with every snap. I think he isn't a bust and we can't call him that anymore, to his credit and to the credit of the dline coaches. Mazi will be a factor later in the year if we get into the post season. He looks like he's in shape now and quicker. More and more I am liking the drafting of him. Overshown just needs to slow down at times because he over runs things. He is getting better at reading things but just needs to slow it down a bit. Marist Luifao seems like its taking him some time to also slow it down. Hes smart, tackles well, but gets washed sometimes because hes too quick for his own good. When we look back at the draft I am SO HAPPY we didn't draft a RB instead. Not 1 of them are doing anything much so far. PFF got it right with Mazi and Overshown. The rest, I dunno what they were seeing.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Too busy at work to do this yesterday

OFFENSE
Dak Prescott - 83.0 (56 snaps)
CeeDee Lamb - 79.6 (47 snaps)
Ezekiel Elliott - 79.5 (10 snaps)
Tyler Smith - 77.4 (56 snaps)
Terence Steele - 72.5 (56 snaps) - seems high to me, he was beaten a lot in pass protection
Rico Dowdle - 70.5 (25 snaps)
Zack Martin - 68.4 (53 snaps)
Jalen Tolbert - 63.3 (39 snaps)
Luke Schoonmaker - 62.0 (19 snaps)
Jake Ferguson - 60.2 (41 snaps)
Brandin Cooks - 56.6 (46 snaps)
Hunter Luepke - 52.4 (29 snaps) - 18.6 pass blocking grade, 37.0 run blocking grade. Moose Johnston, he's not.
Tyler Guyton - 50.4 (56 snaps) - 33.0 pass blocking grade - woof
Cooper Beebe - 42.6 (56 snaps) - 36.8 run blocking grade - yikes

DEFENSE
Mazi Smith - 88.4 (25 snaps) - 86.6 run stopping grade - performance of his career
DeMarvion Overshown - 77.7 (59 snaps)
Micah Parsons - 72.8 (56 snaps)
Osa Odighizuwa - 69.9 (52 snaps) - 30.0 tackling grade
Amani Oruwariye - 69.6 (33 snaps)
Donovan Wilson - 67.3 (68 snaps)
Marshawn Kneeland - 61.5 (35 snaps)
Malik Hooker - 60.9 (65 snaps) - 29.2 tackling grade
Jourdan Lewis - 59.7 (50 snaps) - 29.9 tackling grade
Carlos Watkins - 58.0 (10 snaps)
Eric Kendricks - 56.2 (67 snaps) - 45.6 tackling grade
Chauncey Golston - 56.1 (24 snaps)
Marist Liufau - 54.1 (26 snaps)
DeMarcus Lawrence - 52.1 (30 snaps) - 29.4 tackling grade
Trevon Diggs - 51.2 (67 snaps) - 27.7 tackling grade - woof
Linval Joseph - 49.5 (22 snaps)
Andrew Booth - 31.1 (27 snaps) - 28.3 coverage grade - great athlete, bad football player
Carl Lawson - 30.3 (22 snaps) - 24.0 tackling grade

It's safe to say that this defense is a poor tackling team.
People remember seeing 1 or 2 pressures against Steele, but Burns really did nothing against him, Guyton was the one who really struggled on the other side.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
People remember seeing 1 or 2 pressures against Steele, but Burns really did nothing against him, Guyton was the one who really struggled on the other side.
That's been pretty accurate of most of the year going back to Cleveland too. Teams seem to be putting their best pass rusher against Steele to try and get more 1V1 matchups against Guyton, and Guyton clearly needs the help. The guy is a rookie, he has the tools to get better, personally I think hes a pro bowl player possibly even a year from now, but it's very fair to say that he simply hasnt played well this year.

Tyler Guyton so far allows on average:

1 sack per 45 snaps
1 Pressure per 16 snaps
1 penalty per 38 snaps

Chaz Greene for his career:

1 sack per 34 snaps
1 pressure per 11 snaps
1 penalty per 75 snaps

This certainly doesn't tell the whole story, and its also a small sample size for Guyton that could change over just a few games, but reality is so far he hasn't been that far off of Chaz Green type of play. Also fair to note that most rookie Ts are going to have some serious growing pains year 1, I would bet if someone ran the numbers for Joe Alt it wouldnt be too much different, but it's still a bad omen for the rest of 2024.

stilltheguru

Reaction score
Just remember guys. We have posters on here that take Bryan broaddus' word over Pff. Let that sink in

blueblood70

Reaction score
Hooker was just awful too
i don't think he was awful that's your opinion.. I think he is a solid player and average at best usually he's not elite but he does his job most of the time and I don't see where he was bad but the last three games Donovan Wilson has been bad he's been a weak spot so hopefully they make some changes there.