PFF highest graded 1st rounders

mcmvp

Reaction score
PFF grades for preseason games? I’m not sure who Nate Wiggins played in is other preseason game, but he didn’t face the Eagles starting QB or WRs. Same goes for Q Mitchell. No game planning either. I guess I don’t see the point in these grades at this time. I suppose it’s better than getting a poor grade against backups and vanilla schemes, but that’s about it.

Proof

Reaction score
I really thought it would be difficult deciding on a T or a C with the first pick. Turns out they used the pick to get both. Good move.
hadn't thought of it this way, but boy does it make me happy to realize :)

Havic

Reaction score
Cowboys just crushed the draft this year. All 8 picks making the 53? It won't surprise me. Trading down from 24 then getting Beebe with the extra pick is icing on the cake.

Round 1 Pick 29 - OT Tyler Guyton Oklahoma
Round 2 Pick 56 - DE Marshawn Kneeland Western Michigan
Round 3 Pick 73 - OG/OC Cooper Beebe Kansas St
Round 3 Pick 87 - LB Marist Liufau Notre Dame
Round 5 Pick 174 - CB Caelen Carson Wake Forest
Round 6 Pick 216 - WR Ryan Flournoy SE Missouri
Round 7 Pick 233 - OT - Nathan Thomas Louisiana
Round 7 Pick 244 - DT/NT Justin Rogers Auburn

The only thing that could have made this better was keeping our 4th from the Lance trade and grabbing the rb out of Tennessee or USC

OGSixshooter

Reaction score
I said it the other day I’m done questioning them on first round lineman. Maybe it’s a McCarthy thing or maybe it’d luck but they’ve proven they know what they are doing.
NOT a McCarthy thing...definitely a Will McClay thing. He's the common denominator. I think he was here when we drafted Tyron Smith.

Edit: In fact, looked it up. He took over scouting department the year we drafted Tyron Smith and began our line rebuild.

"McClay first arrived in Dallas in 2003 as a scout before becoming a pro scouting coordinator in 2009. In 2011, McClay became the team's director of football research and later added the director of player personnel title in 2014."

OGSixshooter

Reaction score
Guyton has looked very good in ps so far. Even dominant. We will know a lot more when regular season starts but I really like what he’s showing.

His size and athleticism makes him an excellent candidate to our LT for the next decade.
God looks after children, drunkards and the Cowboys LT position.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
Man Guyton and CB look like the real deals. I expected CB to be good. I thought Guyton would struggle.

You know what Guyton might be one of those really talented guys that was a flake because he could be good with little effort against college players. Comes to the NFL and gets serious. That might be the story.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
NOT a McCarthy thing...definitely a Will McClay thing. He's the common denominator. I think he was here when we drafted Tyron Smith.

Edit: In fact, looked it up. He took over scouting department the year we drafted Tyron Smith and began our line rebuild.

"McClay first arrived in Dallas in 2003 as a scout before becoming a pro scouting coordinator in 2009. In 2011, McClay became the team's director of football research and later added the director of player personnel title in 2014."
Yeah but Tyron was highly sought that year. He was a projected top 10 pick. Zack Martin was highly regarded. Frederick’s was considered the best center but not nearly expected to be what he was. But Guyton and Tyler were different. People said these were projects that could pay off and wouldn’t come in and start opening day. Mike has always had good linemen and he found Steele out of nowhere.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
Guyton was my "smash the TV" pick this year (either him or Kingsley Sumianata out of BYU), because he was raw and his effort really drifted. Classic traits over tape guy. I was glad that we were able to hedge our bets and get an extra 3rd before drafting him, but I wasn't excited about the pick at all.

Dude has ALREADY proved me wrong. I'm already calling it. I mean, if you are shutting down Maxx Crosby, there's nothing left that you can't do.

Guyton will be really good this year, and given that tackles usually hit their stride in year 2 or 3, the sky is the limit for him.

Last edited:

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Guyton wasn’t top of the Cowboys list either; neither was Tyler Smith.
Cowboys have had the good fortune to see their top ranked linemen gone before their picks in both drafts.
However, at that point, they’ve had the courage to select guys who had the great traits and trust it.
Also, we must give Solari some credit for developing young linemen since he’s been here.

Mikexike

Reaction score
Guyton was my "smash the TV" pick this year (either him or Kingsley Sumianata out of BYU), because he was raw and his effort really drifted. Classic traits over tape guy. I was glad that we were able to hedge our bets and get an extra 3rd before drafting him, but I wasn't excited about the pick at all.

Dude has ALREADY proved me wrong. I'm already calling it. I mean, if you are shutting down Maxx Crosby, there's nothing left that you can't do.

Guyton will be really good this year, and given that tackles usually hit their stride in year 2 or 3, the sky is the limit for him.
A lot of people here didn't seem to know it was Crosby he was blocking. Most were thinking it was scrubs.

JoeyBoy718

Reaction score
Cowboys just crushed the draft this year. All 8 picks making the 53? It won't surprise me. Trading down from 24 then getting Beebe with the extra pick is icing on the cake.

Round 1 Pick 29 - OT Tyler Guyton Oklahoma
Round 2 Pick 56 - DE Marshawn Kneeland Western Michigan
Round 3 Pick 73 - OG/OC Cooper Beebe Kansas St
Round 3 Pick 87 - LB Marist Liufau Notre Dame
Round 5 Pick 174 - CB Caelen Carson Wake Forest
Round 6 Pick 216 - WR Ryan Flournoy SE Missouri
Round 7 Pick 233 - OT - Nathan Thomas Louisiana
Round 7 Pick 244 - DT/NT Justin Rogers Auburn
Good point. They turned the 24th pick into potentially two long-time starters on the OL.

OGSixshooter

Reaction score
Yeah but Tyron was highly sought that year. He was a projected top 10 pick. Zack Martin was highly regarded. Frederick’s was considered the best center but not nearly expected to be what he was. But Guyton and Tyler were different. People said these were projects that could pay off and wouldn’t come in and start opening day. Mike has always had good linemen and he found Steele out of nowhere.
Nah. Why do you make me do this with you?

Tyron was drafted late for a tackle with his size, speed and strength. The big question on Tyron was the same as with Tyler Guyton: He only played the right side in college. So the 1st year we used Tyron at RT because we still had a decent LT. So, it was NOT a slam dunk that he would develop into a perrenial all-pro HOF LT. Stop it.

Zach Martin was NOT highly regarded as an athlete. He was considered a leader and was the leader of his line all 4 years at Notre Dame. But he did 4 years...and most guys who are highly touted bounce for the bag. In fact, Stephen had to g-check dad and take the Johnny Manziel card out of his hands on draft day...so much for "highly regarded".

I don't know why you need to be contrarian about this, but you are just spewing crap without factual basis...in order to diminish Will McClay? Why...

Wait...I KNOW YOU. You need someone to blame for Dak's failures...and so you blame EVERYONE: Jerry, Stephen, Will, etc...never Dak. Got it.

Hadenough

Reaction score

Jayden Daniels looks pretty good so far but won't really know how good for a couple seasons. Dude has some serious wheels in his head and feet and his speed help him go through his progressions effortlessly fast.

Mikexike

Reaction score
Jayden Daniels looks pretty good so far but won't really know how good for a couple seasons. Dude has some serious wheels in his head and feet and his speed help him go through his progressions effortlessly fast.
My favorite QB from this draft class.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Nah. Why do you make me do this with you?

Tyron was drafted late for a tackle with his size, speed and strength. The big question on Tyron was the same as with Tyler Guyton: He only played the right side in college. So the 1st year we used Tyron at RT because we still had a decent LT. So, it was NOT a slam dunk that he would develop into a perrenial all-pro HOF LT. Stop it.

Zach Martin was NOT highly regarded as an athlete. He was considered a leader and was the leader of his line all 4 years at Notre Dame. But he did 4 years...and most guys who are highly touted bounce for the bag. In fact, Stephen had to g-check dad and take the Johnny Manziel card out of his hands on draft day...so much for "highly regarded".

I don't know why you need to be contrarian about this, but you are just spewing crap without factual basis...in order to diminish Will McClay? Why...

Wait...I KNOW YOU. You need someone to blame for Dak's failures...and so you blame EVERYONE: Jerry, Stephen, Will, etc...never Dak. Got it.
Huh? What does my post have to do with Dak? They let anyone post on here….