Twitter: PFF: Parson and Cox top grades

USArmyVet

Reaction score
Considering Neal only signed a 1-year deal, LVE's 5th year rookie option was declined, and J. Smith may be a release option after this season, these guys really need to step up this season to give Dallas a solid LB twosome for next season (and much needed salary cap relief at the LB position). If Dallas can find a 3rd viable LB option (perhaps LVE comes back on a reasonable deal if he stays healthy) that would go a long way to helping the defense.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
It should be an ongoing relief to note that we're getting some bang for our bucks with Quinn getting these quality defenders.

Hopefully, it'll continue. Even better news is that Parsons and Cox will only improve. That's something to look forward to. ;)

Last edited:

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Considering Neal only signed a 1-year deal, LVE's 5th year rookie option was declined, and J. Smith may be a release option after this season, these guys really need to step up this season to give Dallas a solid LB twosome for next season (and much needed salary cap relief at the LB position). If Dallas can find a 3rd viable LB option (perhaps LVE comes back on a reasonable deal if he stays healthy) that would go a long way to helping the defense.

IF LVE stay healthy, start and play a min 14-15 games at a high level.......he likely gets tag IMO

Whyjerry

Reaction score
I know, only preseason and small samples but these kids are off to a good start

I totally agree. I think Cox was a steal at 4. He was always good in coverage but impressed me most with his ability to work through blocks to the ball. Straight ahead and lateral. Parsons is just a next level athlete. He is huge too. They got 2 good ones that’s for sure.

stilltheguru

Reaction score
So if we have an analytics staff now...........or are you going to keep lying to us Fat Garrett

morat1959

Reaction score
Jerry’s boy ain’t going nowhere. Live with it. An injury is the only thing that keeps him out of the starting lineup with lots of snaps. Live with it and move on.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
When I see this D now, one word comes to mind.........hungry, all have something to prove. If you think about it every starter ( potential ) is fighting like hell to either keep his contract or earn the big one. The difference between this group and ones from the past is way more talent.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Again, it will be a real shame when we don't use all of our talent and waste snaps on Jaylon this year. McCarthy's not lying when he says this is the best LB group he's ever had. Jaylon Smith isn't one of the reasons why.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
How long before Cox surpasses Smith in defensive snaps ? This year? Which week? Not this year?

I think Cox will see playing time in certain packages the defense runs. How many snaps through out the game I think really depends on the effectiveness. The more Cox does the more snaps he will see. As for Jaylon people are down on him and for the most part with just cause, but I think Jaylon will have the opportunity to rise his level of play. I think there is pressure on him to elevate his game and I for one hope that is the case.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
I totally agree. I think Cox was a steal at 4. He was always good in coverage but impressed me most with his ability to work through blocks to the ball. Straight ahead and lateral. Parsons is just a next level athlete. He is huge too. They got 2 good ones that’s for sure.

I was high on Cox and couldn't believe he fell to the 4th nor that we got him. I was screaming to take him in the 3rd.

I see him improving at coming forward in support as well. With a willingness to engage a blocker or hit. Looks like he will become an all around LBer and form a heck of a tandem with Parsons.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Again, it will be a real shame when we don't use all of our talent and waste snaps on Jaylon this year. McCarthy's not lying when he says this is the best LB group he's ever had. Jaylon Smith isn't one of the reasons why.

Honestly, I'm not MM has the authority to cut Jaylon, even if he wanted to. I'm guessing only Jerry or Stephen can make that call. So I wonder if MM is kinda caught in the middle of trying to play his best players AND find snaps for Jaylon to keep Jerry and Stephen off his azz.