PFF ranks every team's 2024 RBs unit (1 - 32)

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Damn, it's like you are doing a parody. Comical. Based on nothing.
Your complete ignorance of a subject has nothing to do with me.
There are multiple Cowboys beat/pod guys that have discussed the plan for DV and what they saw at minicamp including most visibily Broaddus.

This isn't some great unknown or wild guess.
And we will all see it play out in a month at TC.

Vaughn said as much last week about his role change.

“They'll come in and be like, 'You're with the receivers today," he said. “Talking with Schotty [offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer] just a little bit about getting with that slot, getting with a Brandin C [Cooks], getting with a guy that plays out there, and just learning a little bit more about it.”

Broaddus described them flexing DV out to the slot then running quick outs behind the WRs who were running deeper routes. Debate has been if this reduces touches for Turpin.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
The running game depends just as much on the line as the backs. Put Dowdle behind The Great Wall and the Cowboys wouldn't be SB champs but they definitely wouldn't be dead last in the running game.

Now not saying Gutyon, Smtih, Beebe, Martin and Steele will be another Great Wall, but we don't know (if that's the starting five) how good the line will be.

Like most any pre-season rating, it could be way off, or not, won't know for a while...
Chiefs RB room ain't good at all and it hasn't mattered.
You need to block for the QB, pick up the short yardage downs and push the ball across the goal line.
With a good OL the last 2 are easily accomplished by Zeke.
The room lacks some juice but they have ways to make Royce, Turpin and DV provide that without forfeiting the ability to do the primary things with other guys.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Your complete ignorance of a subject has nothing to do with me.
There are multiple Cowboys beat/pod guys that have discussed the plan for DV and what they saw at minicamp including most visibily Broaddus.

This isn't some great unknown or wild guess.
And we will all see it play out in a month at TC.

Vaughn said as much last week about his role change.

“They'll come in and be like, 'You're with the receivers today," he said. “Talking with Schotty [offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer] just a little bit about getting with that slot, getting with a Brandin C [Cooks], getting with a guy that plays out there, and just learning a little bit more about it.”

Broaddus described them flexing DV out to the slot then running quick outs behind the WRs who were running deeper routes. Debate has been if this reduces touches for Turpin.
He's getting "some" work there. He's still playing RB. This article was just posted 4 days ago on the team site:

https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/what-s-up-at-rb-zeke-rico-lead-crowded-room

Currently, there are seven, yes seven, running backs on the Cowboys' roster — including undrafted free agent Nathaniel Peat, former fifth-round pick (2023) Deuce Vaughn, Malik Davis and Snoop Conner.

And while he's not technically a running back, you could arguably throw fullback Hunter Luepke into the conversation as well, making it an even eight players vying for reps.
What We Don't: The real decision may be who is going to be third on the running back depth chart. Will the Cowboys go with the speedy but smaller Deuce Vaughn? How about some additional size with Hunter Luepke or Royce Freeman? And don't forget about Malik Davis and Snoop Connor. The competition here will be fierce throughout training camp and the preseason.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
He's getting "some" work there. He's still playing RB. This article was just posted 4 days ago on the team site:

https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/what-s-up-at-rb-zeke-rico-lead-crowded-room
ROFL, that article is a nothing burger.
It says zero about roles or responsibilities and mentioned zero about where guys have lined up in practices..
It just lists names on the roster.

I gave you a quote from the guy himself saying he has to go through entire days with the receivers.
How many other RBs are doing that??

When presented with obvious real data you resort to this childish nonsense to save face instead of owning that you are clueless.
The best time to stop responding was at the first reply and the second best has been every post since then.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Why?

You don’t like rushing titles and TDs?

Zeke got most of the glory when he was young and on a rookie contract.

He deserved to get paid.
You don't pay someone in the future on their past performance. That is GM Jethro's #1 problem.

You pay them on expected future performance.

We ran Zeke into the ground and then paid him like he was going to continue to perform like he did during his rookie contract.

Same reason we overpaid Gallup and Steele coming off an injury.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I am glad Zeke is back. I think he can help the team in the right situations. Short yardage, goal line like inside the 5, and of course pass protection.

However, I did not like that they did not address it in the draft. Zeke as we know is not the #1 RB as he used to be.
I think they can be better than many think. But that depends on the OL as well, obviously.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Chiefs RB room ain't good at all and it hasn't mattered.
You need to block for the QB, pick up the short yardage downs and push the ball across the goal line.
With a good OL the last 2 are easily accomplished by Zeke.
The room lacks some juice but they have ways to make Royce, Turpin and DV provide that without forfeiting the ability to do the primary things with other guys.
Really on the chiefs RB room? Their RB 1 Isaiah Pacheco played 14 games last year and rushed for 935 yards, averaging 4.6 yards per carry. In the 2022 playoffs, he averaged 5.3 yards per carry. In his 2022 rookie season, he didn’t start until several games in the season and average 4.9 ypc.

Sure having Pat Mahomes is huge but I would take Pacheco in heartbeat over anyone we have now at RB.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We will not have a number one. It will be a committee. Commiittee's don't have a number.

I think by the end of the year Hunter is going to be a surprise to some.
Hunter moved up to #3 on the depth chart after mini camp. I want to see more of what he can do. Year two jump may surprise us.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Zeke contract was horrendous.

GM Jethro can not read the tea leaves.
I was a big fan....and even i would have let him sit. He deserved some monies for being best in league...but easy there jerry sheesh!

Daks no trade clause another stroke of brilliance.:rolleyes:

Chasing6

Reaction score
I was a big fan....and even i would have let him sit. He deserved some monies for being best in league...but easy there jerry sheesh!

Daks no trade clause another stroke of brilliance.:rolleyes:
GM Jethro loves to pay it forward with 4 year deals based off previous years performance.

When people out play their rookie deal he for some reason wants to make up for it by over paying them in the future. Huge mistake.

Everyone(accept GM jethro) knows over worked RB's, don't continue to perform at the same level over time.

We need to have a contracts that represent the performance of the next 4 years. If they want to get paid for the past. Trade them.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
GM Jethro loves to pay it forward with 4 year deals based off previous years performance.

When people out play their rookie deal he for some reason wants to make up for it by over paying them in the future. Huge mistake.

Everyone(accept GM jethro) knows over worked RB's, don't continue to perform at the same level over time.

We need to have a contracts that represent the performance of the next 4 years. If they want to get paid for the past. Trade them.
How do you pay someone for the next 4 years? Hiw do you know their future performance? Past performance has to factor in somewhat. Its how people get raises.

Chasing6

Reaction score
How do you pay someone for the next 4 years? Hiw do you know their future performance? Past performance has to factor in somewhat. Its how people get raises.
It is projected. Apparently GM Jethro can not project very well.

Why not resign Martin to a 4 year deal for $25M a year. Because historically we know he is too old.

Over used RB's do not continue to perform at a high level. There is plenty of data ti support that. Are there exceptions? Sure. It is not rocket science

Can we safely project CD will continue to play at a high level? Plenty of WR's in the past have demonstrated it can be down. Absolutely, if he has a good QB.

Can we confidently project an undersized DE will continue to have 13 sacks a year for the next 5 years? I am not so sure about that one.

I have heard several fans say once Dak wins a SB then pay him the big money. Once again you don't pay for past performance.

A new contract, should be I am paying you in the future for what you can do in the future.

If we can not safely project and agree to terms, then the player needs to be traded. It is the simple, otherwise it is a bad contract and it will hurt the team.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
The Cowboys "objectively" allowed veterans to leave so that younger players buried on the depth chart will have a chance to perform. No one really knows how that is going to turn out for the team. The Cowboys got a lot younger - which is usually good in football in the long run, although in the short term it is challenging. The Cowboys play 7 playoff teams from 2023 in their first 10 games. If they emerge with a 5-5 or 6-4 record, they will be poised to make a run to end the season, if they don't lose heart, and if the young players start getting better.

But I predict a whole lot of weeping and gnashing of teeth in the games before Thanksgiving. Having said that, a 1-6 finish in 2023 by the Eagles may give the Cowboys a chance to keep pace to win the division, even if they take a step back in the season win/loss column. As so many have said, they want success in the playoffs. That will only come if the Cowboys allow the young players to play, AND if they young players get better as the season goes along. If they don't, what have the Cowboys lost? Sticking with the same veterans who keep losing playoff games wasn't really an option.

For anyone paying attention, the Cowboys have been backfilling the roster in the last few drafts. Only Zack Martin remains from the old Oline. The WR corps has been entirely made over, as had the TE room. The QB has played at a high level, and the RB room is questionable. On special teams, there are two new kickers that have both performed at a high level, a new return man who made a Pro Bowl, and a new snapper. The Dline has turned over everyone except DeMarcus Lawrence. The Secondary has two All-Pro players at CB, and a strong Safety group. The linebackers are a work in progress, but the Cowboys have drafted 3 LB's in the last 3 drafts, not including Parsons.

I'm not predicting success. But I am saying that you cannot keep spending draft picks, and not allowing players like Tolbert, Mazi, Sam Williams, Fehoko, Guyton, Beebe, Bass, Overshown, Clark, etc. to play. Players get better by playing. If you're short sighted, you'll pass judgment early in the season - and you might be right. But you also might be wrong, and the players might improve by getting time on the field.

I remain cautiously optimistic.
Excellent post.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It is projected. Apparently GM Jethro can not project very well.

Why not resign Martin to a 4 year deal for $25M a year. Because historically we know he is too old.

Over used RB's do not continue to perform at a high level. There is plenty of data ti support that. Are there exceptions? Sure. It is not rocket science

Can we safely project CD will continue to play at a high level? Plenty of WR's in the past have demonstrated it can be down. Absolutely, if he has a good QB.

Can we confidently project an undersized DE will continue to have 13 sacks a year for the next 5 years? I am not so sure about that one.

I have heard several fans say once Dak wins a SB then pay him the big money. Once again you don't pay for past performance.

A new contract, should be I am paying you in the future for what you can do in the future.

If we can not safely project and agree to terms, then the player needs to be traded. It is the simple, otherwise it is a bad contract and it will hurt the team.
Id say that is risky as well. I do understand what you are saying, just that you are over-downplaying performance. You have to include past performance when you do a projection.

Age and abuse are totally different factors...THAT should be easy.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Id say that is risky as well. I do understand what you are saying, just that you are over-downplaying performance. You have to include past performance when you do a projection.

Age and abuse are totally different factors...THAT should be easy.
It was not easy for GM Jethro, because he felt like he owed Zeke. New contracts can not be about what is owed. The past is the past. That is the benefit of a rookie contract.

If we strongly believe a player will continue to play at the same or higher level then pay them accordingly. However, we can't pay someone more because we feel like they were underpaid in the past.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Cowboys "objectively" allowed veterans to leave so that younger players buried on the depth chart will have a chance to perform. No one really knows how that is going to turn out for the team. The Cowboys got a lot younger - which is usually good in football in the long run, although in the short term it is challenging. The Cowboys play 7 playoff teams from 2023 in their first 10 games. If they emerge with a 5-5 or 6-4 record, they will be poised to make a run to end the season, if they don't lose heart, and if the young players start getting better.

But I predict a whole lot of weeping and gnashing of teeth in the games before Thanksgiving. Having said that, a 1-6 finish in 2023 by the Eagles may give the Cowboys a chance to keep pace to win the division, even if they take a step back in the season win/loss column. As so many have said, they want success in the playoffs. That will only come if the Cowboys allow the young players to play, AND if they young players get better as the season goes along. If they don't, what have the Cowboys lost? Sticking with the same veterans who keep losing playoff games wasn't really an option.

For anyone paying attention, the Cowboys have been backfilling the roster in the last few drafts. Only Zack Martin remains from the old Oline. The WR corps has been entirely made over, as had the TE room. The QB has played at a high level, and the RB room is questionable. On special teams, there are two new kickers that have both performed at a high level, a new return man who made a Pro Bowl, and a new snapper. The Dline has turned over everyone except DeMarcus Lawrence. The Secondary has two All-Pro players at CB, and a strong Safety group. The linebackers are a work in progress, but the Cowboys have drafted 3 LB's in the last 3 drafts, not including Parsons.

I'm not predicting success. But I am saying that you cannot keep spending draft picks, and not allowing players like Tolbert, Mazi, Sam Williams, Fehoko, Guyton, Beebe, Bass, Overshown, Clark, etc. to play. Players get better by playing. If you're short sighted, you'll pass judgment early in the season - and you might be right. But you also might be wrong, and the players might improve by getting time on the field.

I remain cautiously optimistic.
Yes, but Dallas was a playoff team as well.
Yes, fans will say but they lost to GB, blah, blah. Well the Eagles lost to TB was it?

Regardless we were still a playoff team. But many fans always downplay that as if we were a scrub team.

DuncanIso

Reaction score

So let Zeke work on a rookie contract …

Then don’t pay him?

That’s brutal.