PFF Top WR Free Agents

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Some of the alternatives to Cooks that will be out there. I'm leaving out those they have projected to be tagged or sign a deal out of our range

4. WR MARQUISE BROWN, ARIZONA CARDINALS

2024 Free agency rank: 17

The Ravens traded Brown and a third-round pick to the Cardinals for a 2022 first-round pick, and his time in Arizona has been a journey, to say the least. Between his own injuries and Kyler Murray’s torn ACL, the former college teammates haven’t been able to team up as much as the old regime probably hoped, but he has flashed when in the lineup.
It’s hard to come up with a solid comparable player for a 5-foot-9, 180-pound outside wide receiver — although now the NFL is adding more of this archetype each year — and it’s also fair to wonder how badly Arizona wants to extend anyone, given their timeline and the emergence of rookie wideout Michael Wilson.

Top free agent comparison: Christian Kirk, 2022

Player
Receiving grade
Yards per route run
Average depth of target
Yards after catch per reception
APY as % of Cap at signing
?
8.6%
*All data in tables reflects two years prior to UFA contract signing
Contract Projection: One year, $12 million fully guaranteed

5. WR CALVIN RIDLEY, JACKSONVILLE JAGUARS

2024 Free agency rank: 24

Ridley’s contract situation is a true one-of-one. He returned to play in 2023 after missing all of 2022 while serving a suspension for sports gambling and had stepped away from football before the 2021 campaign was over but was a top wide receiver in 2020. There have been drop issues in 2023 as Ridley returns to full speed, but he is still capable of taking over a game while breaking off a series of explosive receptions.
Equally fascinating is the conditions on Ridley’s trade to Jacksonville, where the pick the Jaguars send to the Atlanta Falcons escalates to a second-rounder if the two parties agree to an extension. We’re not 100% certain that the same language for the condition exists here as it did when Leonard Williams was sent from the New York Jets to the New York Giants, but there the Giants did not have to send a better pick by merely placing a franchise tag instead of signing Williams to a multi-year extension in 2020.

Top free agent comparison: Odell Beckham Jr., 2023

Player
Receiving grade
Yards per route run
Average depth of target
?
6.7%
Contract Projection: Franchise tag

6. WR DARNELL MOONEY, CHICAGO BEARS

2024 Free agency rank: 60

In Mooney’s second season in 2021, he put up 1,055 receiving yards on 81 receptions with a career-best 74.9 receiving grade. Since then, Mooney has unfortunately dealt with a few minor injuries and one of the lower volume passing attacks in the league. Nonetheless, Mooney creates separation on intermediate and deep routes consistently, and he could be the ultimate buy-low for a team that can untap the potential we saw a few years back.

Top free agent comparison: Emmanuel Sanders, 2014

Player
Receiving grade
Yards per route run
Average depth of target
?
3.8%
Contract Projection: One year, $9 million fully guaranteed

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

7. WR GABRIEL DAVIS, BUFFALO BILLS

2024 Free agency rank: 63

Davis is your typical vertical threat out wide, averaging over 15 yards per reception in every season of his career and coming down with a fair amount of contested catches with good high-pointing skills. However, Davis doesn’t have the fastest release off the line and doesn’t snap off in-breakers with a sharpness to create separation over the middle. He’ll help stretch the field outside the numbers for an acquiring team and can have some huge outings on occasion, but he can also be absent from the box score at times as well.

Top free agent comparison: Devin Funchess, 2019

Player
Receiving grade
Yards per route run
Average depth of target
?
5.3%
Contract Projection: One year, $12 million, $8 million guaranteed

8. WR ODELL BECKHAM JR., BALTIMORE RAVENS

2024 Free agency rank: 69

Beckham has progressively looked more and more like his old self as the season has gone on. His 90.0 receiving grade from Weeks 9-14 trails only Tyreek Hill among wide receivers, and his nine explosive receptions and 6.7 yards after the catch per reception are top-20 marks at the position.

Top free agent comparison: N/A

Player
Receiving grade
Yards per route run
Average depth of target
?
N/A
Contract Projection: One year, $10 million fully guaranteed

9. WR TYLER BOYD, CINCINNATI BENGALS

2024 Free agency rank: 74

It will be fascinating to see if and how Cincinnati attempts to keep the elite trio of Ja’Marr Chase, fellow free agent Tee Higgins and Tyler Boyd together in 2024 and beyond, but Boyd could be the odd man out looking for a third contract after playing out the term of his four-year extension signed in 2020.
Boyd is a big slot receiver with solid blocking chops in the run game. He rarely ever drops a target and does well to sit down in soft spots of zones on key passing downs. However, Boyd is on pace for career lows across the board in 2023 and with so many big financial decisions facing Cincinnati, the Bengals may not be willing to offer him as much as other teams looking to upgrade their unit over the middle.

Top free agent comparison: Robert Woods, 2023

Player
Receiving grade
Yards per route run
Average depth of target
?
3.4%
Contract Projection: Two years, $17.5 million ($8.75 million per year), $10.75 million total guaranteed

10. WR CURTIS SAMUEL, WASHINGTON COMMANDERS

2024 Free agency rank: 77

Samuel is an efficient target in Eric Bienemy’s Washington offense that spreads the ball around more than any team in the NFL, hauling in just shy of 80% of passes thrown his way with just two drops on 73 targets through Week 15. Samuel is being used as a ball carrier in 2023 like he was in 2022 and previous seasons dating back to his Ohio State days, but his Swiss Army knife skill set shows up with good change of direction in space and start-stop ability that is still above average at this stage of his career.

Top free agent comparison: Adam Humphries, 2019

Player
Receiving grade
Yards per route run
Average depth of target
?
4.8%

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Some interesting alternatives there. Hollywood opposite Lamb could be very good. Mooney could wind up being very good value. Still young. Boyd was productive when he was #1 before Higgins and Chase got there. Samuel has always been interesting, but I dont know that I'd count on him to he a #2.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Cooks is under contract next year for $10 million. I don't think we'll be looking for alternatives. Now, we might be looking to improve the third receiver position since Gallup has been hit and miss (mostly miss), but I think that would come in the draft.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Can somebody join me in saying WE LIKE OUR guys!!! Hard pass on all of these guys!!!!

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Isn't Cooks signed for 2024? Gilmore was the one year deal.
Yeah, and with Bland's play, I don't see us re-signing him. I think we'll bring back Lewis as the nickel for cheaper. Now, I'd rather have Diggs, Bland and Gilmore, but it depends on what Gilmore is seeking. I figure it will be about $10 million to keep Gilmore and about half that to keep Lewis.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
That is correct. But there is the possibility they move on after the season. I wouldnt say its likely since he improved the 2nd half, but they could look for a better option. These are just guys that could be those options

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Cooks is under contract next year for $10 million. I don't think we'll be looking for alternatives. Now, we might be looking to improve the third receiver position since Gallup has been hit and miss (mostly miss), but I think that would come in the draft.
I dont know. Cooks has basically gotten #3 WR production as a #2. He has shown up a few times, but its basically like having Crayton and Twill again. We live and die on Lamb like we did Owens and Bryant

youngjerryjones

Reaction score
correct, Gallup likely comes off the books...Brooks versus another late round WR for the 4th spot and likely a cheap VET option.
do we re-sign Gilmoure? I would given Diggs will take mid-season to return to even 80% form

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Yeah, and with Bland's play, I don't see us re-signing him. I think we'll bring back Lewis as the nickel for cheaper. Now, I'd rather have Diggs, Bland and Gilmore, but it depends on what Gilmore is seeking. I figure it will be about $10 million to keep Gilmore and about half that to keep Lewis.
I hope we can bring Gilly back. His presence is good for the younger guys.

Echo9

Erik_H
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I dont know. Cooks has basically gotten #3 WR production as a #2. He has shown up a few times, but its basically like having Crayton and Twill again. We live and die on Lamb like we did Owens and Bryant
I'd rather keep Cooks. His production has imporved as the year has gone on. Could be building chemistry with Dak took time. NOw that we've used that time, might as well keep going.

Mr_437

Reaction score
If Gallup is out, Dallas will have WR3 open. I see Dallas looking to sign an X (Big WR) to a 1 or 2 year deal fairly cheap. WRs fitting the criteria as UFAs are:
1. Cedric Wilson
2. DJ Chark
3. Demarcus Robinson
4. Donovan Peoples-Jones
5. Noah Brown
6. Laviska Shenault
7. Chase Claypool
8. Van Jefferson