PFF weighs in

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
The Saints took away Cooper by Lattimore and by scheme, then Cobb had a couple of offtarget passes go off his hands. Its not coincidence that our TEs got most of the receptions with Gallup out.

I didn't really think Lattimore played all that well against Cooper, to be honest.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
The Saints took away Cooper by Lattimore and by scheme, then Cobb had a couple of offtarget passes go off his hands. Its not coincidence that our TEs got most of the receptions with Gallup out.

That's not really what I saw Kaiser. From what I saw, Cooper was getting open vs Lattimore.

Kaiser

Reaction score
That's not really what I saw Kaiser. From what I saw, Cooper was getting open vs Lattimore.

I think Lattimore played Cooper much better than anyone else has this year, but there were also factors of Cooper's injury and the Saints being able to double Cooper more with Gallup out.

I'm going to do a thread when I finish rewatching the game, but IMO Gallup being out and the Saints DL play were the biggest keys of this game.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I think Lattimore played Cooper much better than anyone else has this year, but there were also factors of Cooper's injury and the Saints being able to double Cooper more with Gallup out.

I'm going to do a thread when I finish rewatching the game, but IMO Gallup being out and the Saints DL play were the biggest keys of this game.

I thought Lattimore did a decent job of not getting beat deep for 6 but I do think Cooper was open. I mean, he had something like 8 or 9 targets, 5 receptions and 3 PIs called against him so to me, I thought the PIs really bailed Lattimore out, to a great extent. JMO though.

I agree with you on Gallup, he was missed but even so, we didn't take the vulnerabilities of the Saints scheme. We just continued to try and do what wasn't working and I mean, how many times have we watched our team do that? It's crazy, I don't understand it.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Cooper lost that battle with Lattimore by a wide margin. The only time he was open was when he was pushing off.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
Dak played just fine considering the tough conditions, lack of help from the offensive line, 2 OPI calls (both bogus), 2 fumbles (1 highly questionable) and a big drop on third down by Cobb.

The only glaring mistake he made was when he missed Cobb for the TD.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't remember where I saw it yesterday, may have been the SNF pregame, but they showed the pockets Prescott has had in the first 3 games and then the coverage on the back end. To call the pockets clean is an understatement and I wondered, as the person talking about it did, what happens when the pockets are not so clean?

Teams that can create pressure are the ones to watch, not those first 3 games and those team have not done much to other offenses, with not as good OL's, either.

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
Last night, IMO, was another example of that play out. Can anybody honestly look at the Saints defense and say that it's dominating?

Their front 7 dominated our offensive line. They were able to get constant pressure rushing 4 and played coverage all night.

We played a conservative game and neglected to do the things that would have helped us against NO defense. Namely the play action pass, jet action/motion, & the quick passing game. I believe I ready that we only had 7 play action passes the entire game. Dak connected on 6 of them, including the big play to Jarwin.

I do not know why we decided to revert back to the old offense where you line up and try to simply beat the team in front of you, but if we continue this plan it will be more of the same.

We need to go back to the game plan we saw against NY & Washington.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Their front 7 dominated our offensive line. They were able to get constant pressure rushing 4 and played coverage all night.

We played a conservative game and neglected to do the things that would have helped us against NO defense. Namely the play action pass, jet action/motion, & the quick passing game. I believe I ready that we only had 7 play action passes the entire game. Dak connected on 6 of them, including the big play to Jarwin.

I do not know why we decided to revert back to the old offense where you line up and try to simply beat the team in front of you, but if we continue this plan it will be more of the same.

We need to go back to the game plan we saw against NY & Washington.

I'm interested to see exactly how much time Dak had in the pocket. I don't think the Saints overpowered our OL. I think he did get time but it would have to be proven to see exactly how much time he had in the pocket. I haven't found that info as yet so I can't say anything for sure, at this point.

Kaiser

Reaction score
The only time he was open was when he was pushing off.

Agree that Lattimore won the matchup but Dallas had a lot less time to throw in this game because the Saints DL played so well. And if you use this game as the standard for a WR pushing off, you can call that on every play on every team.

The officials didn't effect the outcome of the game, but its painful to watch every little tickytak thing being called.

Dre11

Reaction score
They had plenty opportunities to win. Dak missed Randle inn the end zone, Witten fumbled right around mid field on a good drive, Cooper had 2 big PI penalties

tomsanders921

Reaction score
They gave up 12 points.
At some point you have to get three and outs from time to time. Is that too much to ask?

And on the last drive they got the stop, but not before the saints got a couple first downs and flipped the field and killed the clock. It's bad when you know they are running and they are still hitting you up the middle for 6 or 7 on first down .

The offense sucked. But the defense couldn't get off the field either.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
At some point you have to get three and outs from time to time. Is that too much to ask?

And on the last drive they got the stop, but not before the saints got a couple first downs and flipped the field and killed the clock. It's bad when you know they are running and they are still hitting you up the middle for 6 or 7 on first down .

The offense sucked. But the defense couldn't get off the field either.

Well, the D did get off the field and give the O opportunities. The D forced a 3 and out in the 2nd quarter and the Offense turned the ball over. The D forced a 3 and out to start the 3rd and the O scored the only TD of the game. The D forced two punts in the 4th Quarter and the O responded with a 3 and out of their own and an Interception. I mean, even at the end, we were only down 2. A FG wins the game and the O was never able to get it past mid field. The O had it's chances.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Was it just me or did it seem like nothing was open in the passing game

TEs were 7 for 7 with good ypc. Elliot was 6 of 7 with meh ypc. WRs were 8 of 15.

My recollection is that Coop had a problem getting separation, but I don't remember anyone else having the same problem.

Dak did miss that one the run td throw to Cobb. I thought he rushed the throw. Had time both from his and Cobb's side to make a better throw.