PFF's top RBs

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
Like you I'd drive myself crazy tweaking my grading until the top (eye test +/- per play) correlated at least loosely with the bottom(actual stats).
Data is king and knowing how to use that to make adjustments is so important.
But poor data and subjective data is utterly useless except in this advertising sense.
Like things Jerry Jones says, just making noise can be beneficial as a sales tool but any thoughtful data scientist would quit PFF in weeks if not days.
I love their data, hate their player grades. But we're talking about two totally different jobs and two completely different groups of people doing it.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
I love their data, hate their player grades.
I've been saying this for a long time myself. It's funny that you'll see a player like Bradley Chubb lighting up most of PFF's signature stats such as pressures and run stops, then you look at his grade and it's below 70 lol.

Makes absolutely no sense.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
I've been saying this for a long time myself. It's funny that you'll see a player like Bradley Chubb lighting up most of PFF's signature stats such as pressures and run stops, then you look at his grade and it's below 70 lol.

Makes absolutely no sense.
The graders may not even read PFF's data.

Plankton

Reaction score
He is. And I've done some pretty decent writing when I was inspired, I just wouldn't be able to sustain a high level. @Plankton is as good a sportswriter as there is right now. It's becoming a lost art.

That's very flattering, but entirely unjustified. All I am is a fan with a perspective.