News: PFT: After Stanford interview, Jason Garrett says he'll stay at NBC

quickccc

Reaction score
Some dysfunctional HC desperate team like the Houston Texans will hire him on as new HC.

Ultimate pitch salesman who ruined Zeke's career.

RodeoJake

Reaction score
I'm relieved. I'm sure DQ would've jumped at the chance to be his DC at Stanford.

plasticman

Reaction score
The position of media sports analyst is not one that offers a lot of job security. Typically, you become old fast.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I can just imagine what Stanford's transfer portal will look like next week.

jrumann59

Reaction score
I mean, I'm not sure what he gets paid with NBC but it's a sweet gig. Show up for one night. Throw out some football cliches, talk about a few plays and boom, you get a nice check.
I doubt JG is hurting for money, he probably still lives in a "reasonable" house when compared to his peers. Coaching grind is rough I would dare say even at NCAA level you hardly have any down time between regular season, recruiting, spring ball (if that school has it), plus alumni pressures, etc.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
I mean, I'm not sure what he gets paid with NBC but it's a sweet gig. Show up for one night. Throw out some football cliches, talk about a few plays and boom, you get a nice check.

The "boom" part made me go back and read your post in a John Madden voice.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I've always expected him to end up at an East Coast college. He probably living in Jersey listening to his Bruce Springsteen albums waiting on the HC job of his Alma Mater Princeton to open up.

Question: What does a Texan hate more than seeing an automobile with NY license plates headed towards Texas?

Answer: Seeing one with a U-Haul trainer attached...

terra

Reaction score
I doubt JG is hurting for money, he probably still lives in a "reasonable" house when compared to his peers. Coaching grind is rough I would dare say even at NCAA level you hardly have any down time between regular season, recruiting, spring ball (if that school has it), plus alumni pressures, etc.
He was paid MILLIONS by Jerry. He was one of the highest paid Assistant coaches before he became a HC. He never had to work a minute after he was fired from here.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I like the job Jason Garrett has been doing at NBC Sports. Plus, he's been correct many times and a huge Cowboys supporter. Would rather have him than some Cowboys hater.

Tony Dungy makes Garrett look brilliant in comparison.

The only NFL media person worst than Dungy is Phil Simms.

Garrett is so odd that it makes him interesting.

Envision if Walter White had been in the movie Scarface. Which guy does not look like a drug dealer?

Envision Jason Garrett in a group of coaches and ex-players. Which guy does not look like he fits in that crowd?

terra

Reaction score
I'd be interested in seeing Garrett at the college level. His style of coaching seems to fit building a college program over coaching at the NFL level. I have no doubt he can get a group of 20 year olds to buy into his coach speak, probably would be a solid recruiter too, although that's a little tougher at Stanford. He also probably doesn't get outcoached week after week on gameday in the pac 12 either.

With that said it makes no sense why he would ever want to when he has an ideal job at NBC. The college hours are brutal. I wonder if he isnt interviewing for college jobs just to ask NBC for more money.
JG will never be more than a mediocre HC at any level starting at JR High.