News: PFT: Asked about McCarthy's future, Jerry says, "We'll see how each game goes" in postseason

Majic

Reaction score
The correct answer from Jerry.

But Mike will be back

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Just me, but I don't his answer has anything to do with whether or not MM returns for the 2024 season. It's more of how playoff games will impact his decision to offer him an extension.

Hell, he also said this .......

The media likes to snippet longer quotes into contextual click-bait-friendly quick hit quotes so not surprised that's the angle the article is pushing.

That said, Jerry's inclusion of, "and thanks to some really outstanding football players around here" seems like a subtle message plant to justify changes should the post-season go badly.

cowboyed

Reaction score
"I shot an arrow into the air and missed" sums it up for me about speculating over McCarthy's head coach future if we are one and done in the playoffs.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Peter King........

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profo...dan-love-nfl-playoffs-peter-king-fmia-week-18

10 Things I Think I Think
1. I think Miami has some work to do, regardless of what happens this weekend at Kansas City. The Dolphins are owned by Buffalo, and they were 1-5 against playoff teams. Flaws showed when Tyreek Hill was out. Crazy as it sounds, I’d aim for one more speed receiver in the draft if I were GM Chris Grier. Speed is what separates this offense.

2. I think one statement surprised me in post-week-18 football. It was this from Jerry Jones, asked about the future of head coach Mike McCarthy. “We’ll see how each game goes in the playoffs,” Jones said. When I read that, my first thought was that Jones wants insurance in case Dallas has an embarrassing end to its season. Second thought: Jones wants a shot at Bill Belichick.

slick325

Reaction score
Just me, but I don't his answer has anything to do with whether or not MM returns for the 2024 season. It's more of how playoff games will impact his decision to offer him an extension.

Hell, he also said this .......

Thanks for posting. Now that I see the full quote I get the full context of what Jerry was saying. It's more nuanced than the quick headline grabbing sentence.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
Peter King........

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profo...dan-love-nfl-playoffs-peter-king-fmia-week-18

10 Things I Think I Think
1. I think Miami has some work to do, regardless of what happens this weekend at Kansas City. The Dolphins are owned by Buffalo, and they were 1-5 against playoff teams. Flaws showed when Tyreek Hill was out. Crazy as it sounds, I’d aim for one more speed receiver in the draft if I were GM Chris Grier. Speed is what separates this offense.

2. I think one statement surprised me in post-week-18 football. It was this from Jerry Jones, asked about the future of head coach Mike McCarthy. “We’ll see how each game goes in the playoffs,” Jones said. When I read that, my first thought was that Jones wants insurance in case Dallas has an embarrassing end to its season. Second thought: Jones wants a shot at Bill Belichick.
Please no Belichick!

JayFord

Reaction score
Garrett was allowed to stay here from 07-19

big mike should be back regardless and if hes one and done he should be on a short leash in 24' meaning if he has a losing year hes gone

CCBoy

Reaction score
Or Jerry is stating this the obvious. The team presently is a strong team. It is way early to conduct an after action analysis upon that.

Jerry has seen it all, just as Bellichick. They both know that professional football is never a complete given in any game. Failure comes with many faces. You stick with your team in the playoffs, until if and when they are eliminated. No one is on the cutting board and fair game for the rotten egg sniffers. Once something changes as to outlook, then a decision is evaluated.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I think people underrate this aspect of Jerry. I think his interviews are more calculated than people give him credit for. It sounds like he’s babbling but I think there’s a method to this madness.

CCBoy

Reaction score
I think people underrate this aspect of Jerry. I think his interviews are more calculated than people give him credit for. It sounds like he’s babbling but I think there’s a method to this madness.
I don't think there is the term applied to his view...of magic, too much magic - is respectful nor correct.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Clickbait. It is entertaining at times at how so many get sucked in.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
Why can’t this narcissistic old drunk just keep his mouth shut? McCarthy has won 12 games three years in a row. For those who think he wants Bill B, please. There is no way he would cede that much control to a coach. Plus why would Bill want to work for the Jones clan? He is going to go to LA if he goes anywhere. Maybe even Jacksonville if they make a move.

DStar22

Reaction score
McCarthy has given us winning seasons each of the last 3 years, and the team gets better and better under him in the environment under Jerry, which we know can be bad. why would we replace that?

in fact I'd be willing to say that with Dak's growth this year and having our starting LB's and CB to bolster the Defense, we would be favorites to win it all.