News: PFT: Blindside block foul called against the Saints was proper application of horrendous rule

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
The foul wiped out an 11-yard gain and resulted in an 11-yard penalty, a 22-yard swing that put the Saints at first and 21.

Three plays later, the Saints punted. Four plays later, Cowboys running back Tony Pollard went 58 yards for a touchdown. And it was then 20-10 and the lights were almost entirely out.

Troy Aikman of Fox immediately described it is a “terrible call.” The NFL has kept its head low and its mouth shut about it.

But that’s the rule, bad as it may be. Check out our story from the preseason of the first year in which the rule was put on the books. As we explained at the time, the inaccurately-labeled rule “doesn’t carve out situations where the opponent sees the hit coming,” and “it prohibits a blocker from blocking with his helmet, forearm, or shoulder while moving in any direction other than toward the opponent’s end line.”

It’s just a bad rule. It’s a rule created by non-football people looking for ways to reduce the number of big hits in a given game, potentially as part of the broader quest to finish the push for 17 games and to commence the effort to expand to 18.

Read the rest: https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...ts-was-proper-application-of-horrendous-rule/
The game of football is broken... by stupid lawyers....that never played...nor care about the quality of play. All they care about is how much money can they make...And I'm sure they are getting a cut from how much they can save the league from lawsuits.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Looked like it should be called a block in the back. Both hands were on the numbers.

I'll have to go back and look because I thought he hit him in the side, but that would seem like the proper call if he didn't. By rule, the blindside block is correct, but it's still a terrible call.

RaZon

Reaction score
You cannot have a boxing bout or MMA battle all wrapped up in being safe, those are sports that are suppose to be vicious and brutal. Well that is also football, ya wanna be an instant hero just knock someone out, it will be butt slaps and high fives all around, who plays football....bad dudes....unless ya kick or play QB, We see that at all levels of football, knock out the starter, deal with a backup.

The real problem is the game came into existence back when a 300 pounder was a fat slop, back before we had cats 220 pounds with 4.4 jets, We are simply too big too fast too strong to play this game anymore.

Michigan has 10 300 pounders on that offense line they can use, there are HS's that average 280 pounds across the line.

Forget playing it safe, let those who want to play football play it as it is suppose to be played.....brutal/vicious. Nobody has to play football, if it's too dangerous for you then don't play. Just like boxing, if ya don't like being hit in the head, forget boxing.

That blind side call was as wrong as it gets, the ref who made the call needs to be fired. I played 4 years HS football blind side hits were non existent, they were part of the game.

Bigger than Lombardi's Packer lines

JKA34K5AFFAENJSNDKTW4CDKZM.JPG

Last edited:

jujoboys

Reaction score
As predicted, our fans are all “yesssiir, that was the proper call!!!”

We’d be on page 33 of a whinefest had that same play been called against the Cowboys.

See the blocked punt and fumble recovery in the Broncos game if you want proof.

The problem I have with the block is that the fullback intentionally lowered his helmet into the side of Kearse's helmet to make the block. Kearse could have gotten a concussion or worse on that play. The FB could have easily made that block without lowering his helmet and going helmet to helmet into the side of Kearse.

Vanilla2

Reaction score
That stupid punt rule, correctly applied to give the Broncos possession a few weeks back, went against us. This one went for us.

As it ever was. I'm not crying for the Saints that their stupid foul was called.
In the Broncos game we just needed to be smarter you know. The refs are human too but last night boy what a travesty.

John813

Reaction score
If player being hit cannot see you within periphery of vision, then blindside block.

Especially if hit is with helmet to helmet (should be automatic penalty anyway) or forearm to helmet.

Kearse was struck by FB helmet to back of his helmet.

Yea but he knew of the blocker and was attempting to get around him. In terms of being blindsided, not aware of contact, that's not what happened there.

I disagree with the expansion of the rule and how it's called. Agree to disagree.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
This is still not as dumb as the tuck rule. But regardless, it needs to be changed.

DanA

Reaction score
The naming of the penalty is stupid but I’m not against a rule that prohibits a helmet to helmet block. Sure, Kearse was aware of the fullback but that doesn’t mean he’s ready to get smashed in the side of the head by the opponents helmet. That block was legitimately dangerous and should not be allowed if the NFL is serious about reducing concussions.

Last edited:

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
As predicted, our fans are all “yesssiir, that was the proper call!!!”

We’d be on page 33 of a whinefest had that same play been called against the Cowboys.

See the blocked punt and fumble recovery in the Broncos game if you want proof.
It was the proper call, so why are you complainjng?

nalam

The realist
Reaction score
The naming of the penalty is stupid but I’m not against a rule that prohibits a helmet to helmet block. Sure, Kearse was aware of the fullback but that doesn’t mean he’s ready to get smashed in the side of the head by the opponents helmet. That block was legitimately dangerous and should not be allowed if the NFL is serious about reducing concussions.
I was also saying that , it should have been called unnecessary roughness , the blocker lead with his helmet and hit Kearse helmet.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Boy, this is brutal. Sure, the rule may be written in that way but I think it's dumb as hell

I disagree with the Tweet. I wouldn't call the "forcibly blocking with the shoulder". Even if his shoulder was against him, it wasn't "forcibly". IMO, what they mean by "forcibly" is if he'd rammed into him, not just pushed him the way he did. And honestly, he didn't even seem to be pushing with his shoulder much, if at all.

ChuckA1

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If there is a rule about helmet to helmet, you have to call that penalty. Doesn't matter if many/all/some of us believe that the blindside block is a dumb rule, it was still helmet to helmet.

Eanwen

Reaction score
I thought helmet to helmet blocking had been outlawed since Eric Williams was playing. :huh: