News: PFT: Blindside block foul called against the Saints was proper application of horrendous rule

khiladi

Reaction score
I mean in the Note under the law they still call it BLINDSIDE, which would logically imply they are referring to blocks when the player who is getting blocked isn’t looking, not every block that occurs parallel or towards the end zone. I mean a blocker can be blocking a defender running parallel, while directly facing each other.

So I wouldn’t say the rule was correctly applied…

khiladi

Reaction score
He wasn’t leading and initiating a hit with his helmet, he was blocking with his arms and helmet, like every OL or guy picking up a blitzed does. I mean you can basically see the linemen blocking 99 in this video making contact with the helmet, while exploding with their arms.

Last edited:

glimmerman

Reaction score
That was that clown (name slipping … ) decked out Sean from blind side and celebrated, no flag.
Yeah a small WR was playing I think for the seahags at the time. Was talk about him coming here for a minute.. He has played for a few teams and was a b-hole..

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
The rule and the call are both trash.

How else is a back supposed to block a blitz off the slot?

I get it on a punt, kick-off return, interception, etc but makes no sense at the LOS like that.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
He wasn’t leading and initiating a hit with his helmet, he was blocking with his arms and helmet, like every OL or guy picking up a blitzed does. I mean you can basically see the linemen blocking 99 in this video making contact with the helmet, while exploding with their arms.

Yeah, all this helmet to helmet talk, like the guy smashed into him is ridiculous.

khiladi

Reaction score
Yeah, all this helmet to helmet talk, like the guy smashed into him is ridiculous.

I mean this is standard blocking around the edge. Look at 71 in this GIF as the defense comes around the corner on a delayed rush. It’s the Titans-Cowboys GIF in this link.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I mean this is standard blocking around the edge. Look at 71 in this GIF as the defense comes around the corner on a delayed rush.

There's no image, but that's okay, I've seen OL block before, and this was no different than what you see every week.

khiladi

Reaction score
There's no image, but that's okay, I've seen OL block before, and this was no different than what you see every week.

Yeah, link not working. But I found a much clearer one and it is our very Leb HOF LT laying out Eli Apple with the same helmet th helmet, arms to body contact block.

applesmash.0.gif

khiladi

Reaction score

Got the original link to work though it’s smaller than how it appears in the page. 71 picks up the defender that ran the stunt. He lowers his head while thrusting his arms. This is standard every week.

DefiniteSerpentineKitten-max-1mb.gif

MarcusRock

Reaction score
Got the original link to work though it’s smaller than how it appears in the page. 71 picks up the defender that ran the stunt. He lowers his head while thrusting his arms. This is standard every week.

DefiniteSerpentineKitten-max-1mb.gif

AND he's blocking back towards his own goal line so it should have been called by the rule if that's what it is. But now look at everyone trying to bail the refs out like they were just calling a fair game. What's different about when I do this? Lol.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
AND he's blocking back towards his own goal line so it should have been called by the rule if that's what it is. But now look at everyone trying to bail the refs out like they were just calling a fair game. What's different about when I do this? Lol.
Well obviously, you're not a Cowboys fan! :laugh:

Creeper

Reaction score
Here is the rule:

ARTICLE 7. BLINDSIDE BLOCK
It is a foul if a player initiates a block when his path is toward or parallel to his own end line and makes forcible contact to his opponent with his helmet, forearm, or shoulder.

Note: It is not a foul for a blindside block if the forcible contact occurs in “close-line play” prior to the ball leaving that area. The ball is not considered to have left that area if the player who takes the snap, either from a shotgun position or from under center, retreats in the pocket immediately or with a slight delay, and hands the ball to another player, or runs with the ball himself. This exception does not apply to any action other than a designed play. Any forcible contact in “close-line play” is still subject to the restrictions for crackback and peel back blocks.

Penalty: For a Blindside Block: Loss of 15 yards.

I rewatched the play several times and the Saints TE comes from the opposite side of the formation and is clearly moving towards his own goal line. The contact is initially helmet to helmet with the Saints TE initiating contact with his helmet first. You may not like the rule, but it was the right call according to the rulebook. If the Saints TE did not lead with his helmet, it probably would not have been called. Forget what Aikman and Buck said. They obviously did not know the rule.

Creeper

Reaction score

I don't get it. I am watching the video you posted and clearly the TE lead with his helmet into the side of Kearse's helmet. Blocking with helmets knocking on the LOS is not a penalty. Blindside blocking involves moving parallel to or in the direction of the goal line. In this case the TE his heading towards his goal and makes helmet to helmet contact with Kearse. That is a penalty by the rulebook.

Creeper

Reaction score
The rule and the call are both trash.

How else is a back supposed to block a blitz off the slot?

I get it on a punt, kick-off return, interception, etc but makes no sense at the LOS like that.

He blocks by getting in front of the defender or he uses his hands and arms and not his helmet.

ARTICLE 7. BLINDSIDE BLOCK
It is a foul if a player initiates a block when his path is toward or parallel to his own end line and makes forcible contact to his opponent with his helmet, forearm, or shoulder.

Note: It is not a foul for a blindside block if the forcible contact occurs in “close-line play” prior to the ball leaving that area. The ball is not considered to have left that area if the player who takes the snap, either from a shotgun position or from under center, retreats in the pocket immediately or with a slight delay, and hands the ball to another player, or runs with the ball himself. This exception does not apply to any action other than a designed play. Any forcible contact in “close-line play” is still subject to the restrictions for crackback and peel back blocks.

Penalty: For a Blindside Block: Loss of 15 yards.

Creeper

Reaction score
Yeah, link not working. But I found a much clearer one and it is our very Leb HOF LT laying out Eli Apple with the same helmet th helmet, arms to body contact block.

applesmash.0.gif

He is not running towards his own goal line and he is blocking with his hands and arms. This is a legal block.