News: PFT: Cowboys clearly traded for Trey Lance with an eye toward Dak Prescott's future

Scotman

Reaction score
For me, whether you love your QB or not, it would be incredibly short-sighted to not be continually looking down the road. No one plays forever. Some guys wash out. Some get priced out. Some just grow old and retire. But, not constantly looking forward as far as you can see at the most important position on the team would be really dumb.

I don't hate Dak or love him. I've been disappointed. But he's better than most of the QB's out there. Still, I'm one for drafting a mid-round QB every other year or so. I would never rest when it comes to looking for QB talent.

Picking up a 23 year old with enormous potential for next year's 4th? I want the team leveraging Dak's future.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Trey won't be ready by the time Dallas has to renew Dak's contract. $59m next year and I seriously doubt a short contract will lower his CAP hit enough to make it workable for Dallas.
That's the issue there. Well the issue for those that don't like Dak. The time frame is NOW for Lance to show enough to where they don't have to committ long term to Dak. The problem is......he's so far behind that he won't be able to show this any time soon.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Trey won't be ready by the time Dallas has to renew Dak's contract. $59m next year and I seriously doubt a short contract will lower his CAP hit enough to make it workable for Dallas.
Then leave it alone. Rework other contracts to free up the money.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dak is still getting extended. This is a bet for the long future not any short term thing.
I hope that it’s not as guaranteed as you think that it is.

If Dak earns it in 2023?

Sure.

Back up the money truck and try to make the finances work.

If not?

Move on and stop paying top market money for a guy not playing up to it.

glimmerman

Reaction score
JJ saw a chance to get a possible stud for the future they can bring up. We have Rush for 2 years and he did well when filling in for Dak. The other teams saw this and if their qb goes down JJ maybe able to get a good trade for Rush. I see Lance moving up to backup. But I don’t see us cutting Dak or trading him and starting a guy with 8 games played. They have worked to hard to develop the Defense and Offense positions to start over with a QB we need to develop.

Not telling MM should be an insult to MM. He should have known.

glimmerman

Reaction score
That's the issue there. Well the issue for those that don't like Dak. The time frame is NOW for Lance to show enough to where they don't have to committ long term to Dak. The problem is......he's so far behind that he won't be able to show this any time soon.
Exactly. Unless they trade Rush. JJ knows the other NFL teams saw Rush fill in for Dak and a lot of scuttlebutt started about him being ready to start. I did not see that but another team may want Rush if their qb gets hurt. And we know qb injuries happen all the time.

glimmerman

Reaction score
I hope that it’s not as guaranteed as you think that it is.

If Dak earns it in 2023?

Sure.

Back up the money truck and try to make the finances work.

If not?

Move on and stop paying top market money for a guy not playing up to it.
It’s really a prove it kind of year. A descent ST. A really good Defense and an Offense with a lot more weapons than last season. If Dak had these receiving threats last playoff game maybe things go different. But this is a big year for him. Putting up big stats won’t do it. But with this Defense those big QB stats should equal wins.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Exactly. Unless they trade Rush. JJ knows the other NFL teams saw Rush fill in for Dak and a lot of scuttlebutt started about him being ready to start. I did not see that but another team may want Rush if their qb gets hurt. And we know qb injuries happen all the time.
Yep and Rush is so cheap.....what's a enticing deal? A 2nd rounder? And I Don't think anyone would trade that for him. I think the league knows Rush's ceiling is a backup. If he was a young guy who had a ceiling of being a starter it would warrant a 2nd.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
It’s really a prove it kind of year. A descent ST. A really good Defense and an Offense with a lot more weapons than last season. If Dak had these receiving threats last playoff game maybe things go different. But this is a big year for him. Putting up big stats won’t do it. But with this Defense those big QB stats should equal wins.
I do wonder what would it take for Dak not to come back. For both to just agree to part? Another 1st round exit would do it? I sometimes wonder.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Yep and Rush is so cheap.....what's an enticing deal? A 2nd rounder? And I Don't think anyone would trade that for him. I think the league knows Rush's ceiling is a backup. If he was a young guy who had a ceiling of being a starter it would warrant a 2nd.
And how desperate the other team is. He would come cheap and can play the game. I heard alot of mediots saying Rush could be a starter for some teams. I didn’t really see it, like you I see a really good dependable back up. But if JJ could get a 3rd round for him or even get the 4th rounder back he spent on Lance then it would get Lance in the back up role and if we are smoking a team he could come in and get starter reps. Let’s see if they cut Grier and bring him back on PS. That would be a tell tell sign that maybe it’s Rush who is gone.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That’s all I’m saying. They have NO NEED to force a contract extension at this point in time. So don’t.

Let 2023 play out.

If he earns it, PAY HIM.

If he doesn’t, DON’T.

stiletto

Reaction score
That’s all I’m saying. They have NO NEED to force a contract extension at this point in time. So don’t.

Let 2023 play out.

If he earns it, PAY HIM.

If he doesn’t, DON’T.
It's probably the smartest thing to do, quite honestly.... but I have a feeling they are working on a new deal for Dak.