News: PFT: Cowboys clearly traded for Trey Lance with an eye toward Dak Prescott's future

reddyuta

Reaction score
absolutely the wrong take,we dont even know if he is good enough to be a backup QB.lets see how he improves in 2 years here.

USArmyVet

Reaction score
If you let Dak go, you're paying top money anyway AND don't have a QB.

Even if they were to make Dak a June 1 cut next year, he'd cost ~$25m per year against he cap for the next two.

In 2024, you'd be paying him and Trey Lance ~$30m on the cap and, if Lance is good, closer to $40m the next year, before giving Lance a monster deal (assuming he's any good).

There's just no realistic scenario in which Dak is not extended.
So hypothetically speaking, Dak has a similar high INT total as last season and plays poorly in the playoffs which means an early exit for Dallas.....do you, based on that scenario (or worse, Dak plays poorly and Dallas misses the playoffs or he gets hurt and misses a lot of the season), still see Dak being extended????

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Cooper Rush was a free agent this past offseason. He re-signed for 2 yr 5 million. I don't think teams are lining up for a trade.

USArmyVet

Reaction score
Yep. We could have signed Dak way back before wentz got signed and gotten him cheaper but JJ wanted to let him play out his rookie deal. So it costed more. Now it will cost even more. I for some reason think JJ wants to keep Dak as the starter. Everyone else wants him replaced. But another 15 int season and one and done in the playoffs may change his mind.
Reports actually indicate JJ offered Dak a contract prior to the start of 2019, Dak's last season of his rookie deal for roughly $31M/AAV but Dak and his agent turned it down....then in 2020 Dak was offered a contract averaging $35M/AAV but he and his agent turned that down as they wanted $40M/AAV and a 4-year deal, not a 5-year deal.

So one could argue that JJ tried to sign Dak long-term but Dak was repeatedly holding out for more money and fewer years.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Reports actually indicate JJ offered Dak a contract prior to the start of 2019, Dak's last season of his rookie deal for roughly $31M/AAV but Dak and his agent turned it down....then in 2020 Dak was offered a contract averaging $35M/AAV but he and his agent turned that down as they wanted $40M/AAV and a 4-year deal, not a 5-year deal.

So one could argue that JJ tried to sign Dak long-term but Dak was repeatedly holding out for more money and fewer years.
You’re right and also I distinctly remember we had a hand shake deal in place they were printing the contract. And we played the fins and beat them and Daks agent pulled out of the deal after that game. JJ was fuming and it was a while until they got another deal put in place. That’s when I started disliking his agent along with Elliot’s and D-Laws agents.

USArmyVet

Reaction score
You’re right and also I distinctly remember we had a hand shake deal in place they were printing the contract. And we played the fins and beat them and Daks agent pulled out of the deal after that game. JJ was fuming and it was a while until they got another deal put in place. That’s when I started disliking his agent along with Elliot’s and D-Laws agents.
As the saying goes it takes two to tango....JJ is a salesman and Dak is trying to get all he can get in terms in cash....oil and water do not mix so this season will determine what JJ & Co. will do but at the very least JJ added a higher degree of talent at the back-up QB position to see if Dak takes his game to another level by way of motivation or if Dak allows Lance to be a distraction/threat/whatever you wish to call the move.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
A $40 million cap hit at QB would be nearly the highest in the league but you'd be depending on Trey Lance.
The dead money is there regardless. And the hit would come it at 10th for 2024.

And as I’ve repeatedly said, Lance would have to show something to the organization by that point in time.
Right now, you're making the argument that Lance is worth a $40m hit, but Dak isn't. That's ridiculous.
No I’m not at all. Show me and everyone else where I ever said that.

You’re resorting to a Strawman argument.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Gonna be hard to show if Lance is capable standing on the sidelines as #3. Gotta have injuries or us blowing teams out early to get him on the field.
I’d think the only way would be in meetings and on the practice field. And that’s a larger sample than gamedays.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It’s crazy how long he is been playing for us and it’s still up in the air if he is worth starting money. I wonder if we brought Lance in to take Rush spot at backup. After the nice play Rush showed when Dak was out JJ maybe able to get a 3rd or his 4th round back for Rush. Get Lance into the back up role and more experience. With a great Defense and really good Offense I see us blowing some teams out. So we will pull Dak and get Lance in there. We cut Grier, can we bring him back on the PS.
I don’t think Rush has any value outside Dallas. Free agency showed that. 31 other teams could have signed him and they all passed.

glimmerman

Reaction score
I don’t think Rush has any value outside Dallas. Free agency showed that. 31 other teams could have signed him and they all passed.
Very true. Signed 2 year 5 million deal. 2.7 guaranteed and already paid up I think. I heard bengals was sniffing around at one point. That trade maybe in play now.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Very true. Signed 2 year 5 million deal. 2.7 guaranteed and already paid up I think. I heard bengals was sniffing around at one point. That trade maybe in play now.
Feel free to remind me about it if it happens.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I hope that it’s not as guaranteed as you think that it is.

If Dak earns it in 2023?

Sure.

Back up the money truck and try to make the finances work.

If not?

Move on and stop paying top market money for a guy not playing up to it.
Dak is worth every penny and continues to show jes one of the best qbs in the nfl.

His avg salary is a bargain at this point.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
It's probably the smartest thing to do, quite honestly.... but I have a feeling they are working on a new deal for Dak.
3 year extension would be perfect. Secure the qb position without going out too far.

stiletto

Reaction score
3 year extension would be perfect. Secure the qb position without going out too far.
It would be cheaper than if they wait and he blows the doors off with his new WR corp. It's so much better than last season. Almost laughable difference.

plymkr

Reaction score
Exactly!

I root more for the team than any one player.

And with a salary cap, tough decisions often have to be made.

But huge money has to be earned.
I’m wondering if back to back losses to the 49ers crushed Jerry. The way Dak played in those games was less than desirable. Maybe his play in those games put doubt in Jerry’s mind.

I see 2 scenarios that can play out that pushes Dak out the door. One is Dak continues his streak of having at least 1 TO every other game and we don’t make the playoffs. The other scenario is we make the playoffs and Dak plays poorly.

The scenario I see Dak definitely staying is we get past the divisional round. Me personally, I just assume build for the future if Dak doesn’t deliver this season in the playoffs. If he doesn’t deliver this year I feel the playoff sample size is big enough to make a decision on.

cowboyblue22

Reaction score
dak will be extended this was a move to shore up the backup and maybe get a high pick in return if he works out

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
It would be cheaper than if they wait and he blows the doors off with his new WR corp. It's so much better than last season. Almost laughable difference.
And the new changes on offense are amazing. We will be locking ip huge chunks with dumpoffs to guys like pollard and deuce.

If oline can play well dak will kill it this season.