News: PFT: Cowboys clearly traded for Trey Lance with an eye toward Dak Prescott's future

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
Keep in mind, that Jerry has already stated he doesn't want Lance to see the field this year. So he's thinking 2024 at the earliest but like you said they would have to make a decision on his 5th year option by May 2024. Honestly, I think that decision has already been made. We know Jerry wanted this trade badly and you don't have this kind of motivation and give up a fairly high draft pick without a plan, especially at the QB position.
No way they're giving him his fifth-year option if he doesn't play in 2023

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
What are the options if you don't use the 5th-year option...........he walks after 2024 unless you tag him or sign him to a new deal.
I’d assume your sign him to a new deal. There’s no way they spend a tag or a 5th year option on him…I don’t have the numbers but 5th year options typically is big time money for a backup.

GMO415

Reaction score
Duh, Jerry saw that he had no leverage against Zack Martin and he didn't like it.

Now, Dak has a "no tag" clause in his contract and so when he robs errr ask for $250 million from Jerry, Jerry can say pound sand loser, we have Lance.

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
I would think Lance would be open to an extension that reflects the current reality of his career, rather than the overhyped false reality of his draft selection. He really doesn't have much choice. Accept a reasonable, shorter term developmental type 'prove it' contract extension, or be cut realizing that nobody is going to give an unproven project QB a big contract.

Lance has a great opportunity to build a career on a very solid team. He'd be a fool to not work with the team in the short term to try an earn that big, 'market rate' contract a couple years down the road.

GMO415

Reaction score
This is essentially Dak's last year as a Cowboy. If he doesn't get to the SB, he's relocating.

GMO415

Reaction score
This trade was not about SBs, it's about the exertion of power over the players.

Eventually, Jerry just told Dak, "you ain't holding me hostage again Bruh." "You did it to me once, but you ain't doing it twice "

If it was about SBs, Jerry should have signed Aaron Rodgers.