News: PFT: Cowboys clearly traded for Trey Lance with an eye toward Dak Prescott's future

nate dizzle

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
A good and fair article. I have said it before do the Cowboys want to break the bank twice on a quarterback that has brought them zero Super Bowls. Micah is going to be another mess. Look what is going on with Bosa and Jones now. CeeDee is going to be a headache too. If you move on from Dak you should be able to field lots of talent. I just don’t know about the quarterback.
The amount of money they'd save getting rid of Dak would allow them to stack this team even more than it is now. Talent-wise this team is about as deep as you can make one in the cap era. If Dak can't get it done with this squad his dreams of getting paid Mahomes money is gone.

nate dizzle

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
So you could easily Argue that the defense allowing them to score also contributed to the loss. There are a lot of things that happen over the course of a game that contributr toa win or loss...somewhere are aware of and see...some we do not. I am a firm believer, no single player in a team sports is 100% directly responsible for a win or loss...even if that player is the QB...the pitcher...or whatever.
Yes, defense should be expected to pitch a shutout to overcome Daks turnovers.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
The amount of money they'd save getting rid of Dak would allow them to stack this team even more than it is now. Talent-wise this team is about as deep as you can make one in the cap era. If Dak can't get it done with this squad his dreams of getting paid Mahomes money is gone.
I still think the Cowboys want Dak to be their quarterback and to succeed. They believe this is a Super Bowl team. They know Lance is a project. Lance is the first backup to Dak that actually has a better upside. That is what makes him so intriguing. I don’t think Lance is anywhere close to Lawrence but the kid was considered in the same ball park during the draft.

Deionindahood

Reaction score
It's interesting that Jerry did not share his plan to acquire Lance with MM or Dak. There's a larger plan in place that maynot include the "excluded".

nate dizzle

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I still think the Cowboys want Dak to be their quarterback and to succeed. They believe this is a Super Bowl team. They know Lance is a project. Lance is the first backup to Dak that actually has a better upside. That is what makes him so intriguing. I don’t think Lance is anywhere close to Lawrence but the kid was considered in the same ball park during the draft.
I would agree with that. I think you and I are on the same page about what this year means for Dak moving forward. In Jerry's eyes, he has assembled a Super Bowl worthy squad. If Dak has another letdown game like he did last year I think we're all going to see what plan B is.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
You are leaving out the part where you have to pay Lance and make your QB room more expensive.

You're saying it's ok to pay Lance without him ever playing games, let alone winning them, but setting an arbitrary ultimatum line for Dak.

That's not even mentioning the fact that you think it's possible that Lance could somehow show in practice he's capable of being a starter on a contender in practice, when he couldn't even beat out Sam Darnold for a backup role elsewhere. There is just no logic to it.
Keep in mind, that Jerry has already stated he doesn't want Lance to see the field this year. So he's thinking 2024 at the earliest but like you said they would have to make a decision on his 5th year option by May 2024. Honestly, I think that decision has already been made. We know Jerry wanted this trade badly and you don't have this kind of motivation and give up a fairly high draft pick without a plan, especially at the QB position.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
What security? He got the same number of years as if they gave him a 5th-year. What Love gets is the chance to be a free agent after a year of starting.

The Packers are in the same stupid position Dallas would be, where they have a QB cap hit of $40+m and a QB who has never really played. The difference is that the Packers are a rebuilder right now, and acting as such, so they're willing to take the massive hit on Rodgers this year knowing that they won't be contending.

They don't have the second year of dead money with Rodgers, but if Love is good this year, they're going to have to give him the same $40m+ contract that all the other QBs get and he'll hold all of the leverage.
They will likely tag him.........how much with that cost?

baltcowboy

Reaction score
I would agree with that. I think you and I are on the same page about what this year means for Dak moving forward. In Jerry's eyes, he has assembled a Super Bowl worthy squad. If Dak has another letdown game like he did last year I think we're all going to see what plan B is.
I think the Cowboys have a price for Dak and they won’t go over it unless he wins the Super Bowl. Dak wants top dollar, France is his agent for a reason. The Cowboys saw an opportunity with Lance and took it. I think this might be Dak’s last season in Dallas. He wont play here on that big cap hit. This is Rodgers and Russ all over again with a better roster.

CCBoy

Reaction score
You know, I bet none of the followers of this stream of did you realizes didn't know that both Jerry and Dak both wake up in the morning and take a pee....yea, as appropriate now as well.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
I wonder if Stephen has already sent out a couple of extension feelers to Dak and France regarding his value and doesn't like what he's hearing. He said just last how THIS team is as deep as any we've ever had. Translate: If Dak can't get us deep into the postseason this year, with this team, perhaps he never will and you certainly have to rethink a $50M investment over the next 4-5 years.

nate dizzle

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Keep in mind, that Jerry has already stated he doesn't want Lance to see the field this year. So he's thinking 2024 at the earliest but like you said they would have to make a decision on his 5th year option by May 2024. Honestly, I think that decision has already been made. We know Jerry wanted this trade badly and you don't have this kind of motivation and give up a fairly high draft pick without a plan, especially at the QB position.
He is saying that now...

_sturt_

Reaction score
For me, whether you love your QB or not, it would be incredibly short-sighted to not be continually looking down the road. No one plays forever. Some guys wash out. Some get priced out. Some just grow old and retire. But, not constantly looking forward as far as you can see at the most important position on the team would be really dumb.

I don't hate Dak or love him. I've been disappointed. But he's better than most of the QB's out there. Still, I'm one for drafting a mid-round QB every other year or so. I would never rest when it comes to looking for QB talent.

Picking up a 23 year old with enormous potential for next year's 4th? I want the team leveraging Dak's future.

Click-hungry sports media outlets naturally are going to create as much controversy as they can.

But here's all anyone really needs to know.

• Grier is 28.
  • Rush will be 30 soon.
  • Dak just turned 30.

It would be irrational to have no interest in a 23 year-old QB who, even if you disregard his actual draft slot, your scouts had given 2nd round grades just two seasons ago, and who by anyone's account continues to have some compelling reasons to suspect he will develop. Add to that, there's every reason to believe you'd be drafting a development QB next summer anyway, had this trade not happened. The real downside is only his 2024 salary and whether there is some impact on who you have to let go... but we'll have to wait to see that evolve before there's any true criticism to be made.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Actually, we can lock him in 3 more years, ( this year, 2024 last year of his current deal, and 5th year option. So they can certainly redshirt him this year with an eye on the next 2 years.

What's interesting is how Dak and France wanted the current contract to be shorter when Jerry was pushing for 7 years but I honestly think that's reversed now. I think Jerry and Stephen will push for a shorter extension while Dak will prefer a longer IMO.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/dallas-cowboys/trey-lance-72382/
Yeah but why would they use the 5th year option on Lance? He’s shown nothing to this point.