PFT: Cowboys could pounce on Manziel

tideh20heel

Reaction score
Yeah, when Jerry gave that 100 mil to Romo (which is not really 100 mill but posters like to use that figure), he knew Romo would get injured in the last game of the season. smh

He did know how old Romo was and that the rest of the core was aging as well presumably. He of course also had salary cap projections that would indicate how crippling the contract would be if they had to move on from Romo sooner that expected. Bottom line it was a horrendous decision.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Would the Cowboys be interested in spending their 2014 first-round pick on a quarterback after recently giving Tony Romo a six-year, $108 million contract extension?Cowboys owner and general manager Jerry Jones was asked that Wednesday during a conference call with season-ticket holders.
“Although we’ve just signed Romo, there’s a time when you start at quarterback, preparing for the future,” Jones explained.

It has been said. Prepare for Armageddon.

tantrix1969

Reaction score

Stephen-Colbert-Popcorn.gif

Reaction score
Here is the thing we all must realize: we are not winning anything next year. Not with SF, Sea, NO, CHI, Indy and a tougher NFC East schedule. So, we should not get caught up in "wasting" a first round pick this year on Manziel. If he is there at 16, and the scouts are convinced he is a franchise QB, you take him. Romo is 34. You play him this year and sit Manziel. Then, you cut him June 2015 and build the team around Manziel. SOMETIMES YOU NEED TO TAKE A STEP BACKWARD TO TAKE 2 STEPS FORWARD...

jnday

Reaction score

This should happen. The posters in this thread can keep telling themselves that it won't happen for a variety of reasons, but it should happen. It would be worth trading up for him. Headlines, interviews jersey and ticket sales, QB rivalry ..... we are getting massive entertainment for the investment.

jnday

Reaction score
Here is the thing we all must realize: we are not winning anything next year. Not with SF, Sea, NO, CHI, Indy and a tougher NFC East schedule. So, we should not get caught up in "wasting" a first round pick this year on Manziel. If he is there at 16, and the scouts are convinced he is a franchise QB, you take him. Romo is 34. You play him this year and sit Manziel. Then, you cut him June 2015 and build the team around Manziel. SOMETIMES YOU NEED TO TAKE A STEP BACKWARD TO TAKE 2 STEPS FORWARD...

This is one of the best posts in the draft zone.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
You know Johnny College is not going to be a Cowboy. Lets debate if aliens really exist instead. Romo and the Cowboys are married for the next 2-3 years. Drafting a QB to sit out his rookie contract on the bench is not smart.

Dude.
Aliens exist.
There is no debate.
Just talk to Giorgio Tsoukalos. Been here since we was chimps.

Aliens dog... Aliens.

pjtoadie

Well known member
Reaction score

snoop.gif

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
I really hope not he has bust written all over him. A better skilled Tebow.

A "better skilled" Tebow could win Super Bowls. See Ben R.

Manziel actually isn't much like Tebow except he ran the ball a lot.
Tebow was a big, bowl them over runner and tough to bring down type.
Manziel has a ridiculously stronger and more accurate arm (what b doesn't) but lacks the size.
Manziel uses elite quickness to make defenders miss a la Romo and then has elite speed to scamper for yards as well.

His arm is strong and accurate but his pocket passing is untested and likely uncomfortable.
He looks a lot like, but better than, Russell Wilson coming out.

I don't see the fit here but I do think he goes round 1 and do think he helps a franchise big time.

The success he had in the SEC was largely versus NFL caliber players.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Me too ... because I'm a fan. I want to see him unleashed in the NFL, not holding a clipboard for 3 years.

Well if he ends up being good than I hope the Cowboys have a shot at him. I just don't want the team taking the risk on him to be the Cowboys. All the hype he's been given....its almost like people are setting him up to fail.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score

Chiefs went from being the worst team in the league to a playoff team. The league is wide open year in and year out. We already know this.

pjtoadie

Well known member
Reaction score
Chiefs went from being the worst team in the league to a playoff team. The league is wide open year in and year out. We already know this.

Well I think the Chiefs aren't the greatest example to use. In 2012 they still had 5 pro bowlers and a young up and coming defense. They hired a very good coach in Andy Reid and traded for a good veteran QB in Alex Smith to go along with their already solid defense and a top 5 RB in Charles.

jrumann59

Reaction score
Well I think the Chiefs aren't the greatest example to use. In 2012 they still had 5 pro bowlers and a young up and coming defense. They hired a very good coach in Andy Reid and traded for a good veteran QB in Alex Smith to go along with their already solid defense and a top 5 RB in Charles.

Yes the chiefs went Big Tuna method. Good ground game good defense adequate QB that does not make a lot of mistakes.

DFWJC

Reaction score
I don't get the logic of using a fist round pick on a QB when your current QB is in the 2nd year of a $100 million dollar extension with almost half totally guaranteed.

What are we going to do with Romo, let him watch from the bench? I have never heard of a backup QB making $100 million dollars.

It would be Manziel on the bench, not Romo.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score

They hired the same Andy Reid who couldn't make the playoffs with the Eagirls and the Dream Team. Chiefs had 5 Pro Bowlers....if i'm not mistaken the Cowboys had 5 too and probably would've had more if Sean Lee and Romo didn't get hurt.

My point isn't that we can be the Chiefs. We shouldn't strive to be. My point is, that's how quick things change in this league. Regardless of the reasoning or what not.

jimmy40

Reaction score
See, that is the whole problem. If you are looking for a replacement, you don't go and give your starter a fresh new extension with over $50 million guaranteed. Like Mickey has said on Talking Cowboys, you cannot get rid of Romo until at least another 3 seasons. The reason is the cap penalty you would incur by trading or releasing him.

I just don't get the logic in drafting a first round QB and letting him sit 3 of the 4 years on his rookie contract.

someone would have to be a special brand of stupid to think Manziel is going to stand on the sidelines and not whine and cry about not playing for 3 or 4 months much less 3 or 4 years.