RELEASED PFT: Cowboys cut Devin Smith

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
Should have honed tyhose ST skills. If he's around after week 1 I think it wouldn't be a bad idea for a PS pickup.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Another HC / FO difference between MM & JG.

Used to be we did not see any cuts on the final 53, until the last minute before the deadline, or actually a few past the deadline. All at once, or 95% anyway.

With MM we have now seen what, 7 released players so far? It does not mean much, but find it kind of refreshing.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
He had two years to find a home. Last year without much competition for the 4th spot. Can't feel bad for him if he couldn't take hold of roster spot.

Creeper

Reaction score
The Cowboys never really liked Devin Smith. I wonder why they ever signed him.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
I was pulling for Smith. But not upset he was released either. It happens, I trust the coaches at this point they are just getting to the best 53, and best 5 WR's, or 6 that helps the team.
By releasing him now, they can sign him to the PS on Saturday as opposed to waiting he clears waivers on Sunday at 3 PM CST.
Maybe they feel he sneaks through as teams are still looking at cut downs of their own.
Possible or they rather go with a young guy with better upside like Parker or Johnson. Perhaps they are waiting for cuts to see about a receiver. People forget that it's a new coaching staff and they have no investment in players from the Garrett era so it's very possible they don't bring him back even to the practice squad.

conner01

Reaction score
The Cowboys never really liked Devin Smith. I wonder why they ever signed him.
They signed him so they liked something about him
But two staffs here and his previous team all released him
May be a actual reason

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Possible or they rather go with a young guy with better upside like Parker or Johnson. Perhaps they are waiting for cuts to see about a receiver. People forget that it's a new coaching staff and they have no investment in players from the Garrett era so it's very possible they don't bring him back even to the practice squad.

Good point about Johnson and Parker. I am still not impressed with Johnson, maybe another year on the PS helps.
A few days ago as both of them were getting more reps in practice than Smith, that said it all to me. Would not doubt a bit Parker makes it to the PS.
Also with Wilson coming on strong, as I seen Wilson and Smith as the same type of player in this offense. It meant the Brown was ahead of him as well, as Bryant, because both offered more as to ST's and blocking.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They signed him so they liked something about him
But two staffs here and his previous team all released him
May be a actual reason

I think mostly because lacks of ST's. Could be he did not act as if he wanted tp play them. So the player that does, and is of equal as receiving or speed is kept.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
Good point about Johnson and Parker. I am still not impressed with Johnson, maybe another year on the PS helps.
A few days ago as both of them were getting more reps in practice than Smith, that said it all to me. Would not doubt a bit Parker makes it to the PS.
Also with Wilson coming on strong, as I seen Wilson and Smith as the same type of player in this offense. It meant the Brown was ahead of him as well, as Bryant, because both offered more as to ST's and blocking.
Yep. Smith doesn't play special teams and he isn't a game breaker at receiver. I like Johnson but seen he dropped a pass in practice this week when looking up field before making the catch. Like you said, he needs more developing.

It's possible Parker makes it until Bryant is healthy unless he is almost ready to go cause they aren't keeping 7 receivers for the 6th guy to get healthy.

kskboys

Reaction score
I'd have been shocked if he hadn't been cut.

Dude is really fast, but that's it. He's not that good. Not sure why some were so high on him.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Yeah, I believe a player has a choice to sign on to the practice squad or not. They get paid significantly less so it’s a different type of contract.

But do the Cowboys have the exclusive rights to sign people they cut to their PS, or can anyone sign them?

I think it's usually the former. But I can see the rules being different for veterans this year, since they are already different.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'd have been shocked if he hadn't been cut.

Dude is really fast, but that's it. He's not that good. Not sure why some were so high on him.

Maybe too fast?
(I kid).

Not sure what you mean by "not that good". He's fast and ...unlike Renaldo Nehemiah. ..can catch the ball.

Spectacular catches at Ohio State but he had a bomb thrower there. And he got the playing time needed to keep sharp.

Just because we released him doesn't mean he's garbage. Hoping the guy can make another team and show it. Maybe Washington The Football Team :)

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Maybe too fast?
(I kid).

Not sure what you mean by "not that good". He's fast and ...unlike Renaldo Nehemiah. ..can catch the ball.

Spectacular catches at Ohio State but he had a bomb thrower there. And he got the playing time needed to keep sharp.

Just because we released him doesn't mean he's garbage. Hoping the guy can make another team and show it. Maybe Washington The Football Team :)
Takes alot more than being fast and being able catch to be a good WR. Smith can't beat single coverage from an average starting CB consistently. He is a straight line athlete, and if he cant run significantly faster than someone then he isnt beating. Wilson and Brown are pretty much scrubs that wouldnt make most 53's and they beat him out

JBS

Reaction score
People on here were starting threads about Devin Smith breaking out this year

Lololol...what a joke