RELEASED PFT: Cowboys cut Devin Smith

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
If any of the Big 3 went down, Smith would be the best serving as the go-to replacement. Problem is you can’t have a guy like that as your 4th/5th.

CapnB

Reaction score
Crazy how different this team is at WR from Wk 1 2018. At least they tried to fix it quick

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
This is what happens when you have a lot of talent. Wish they could have got a 6th or 7th for him. He can play in the NFL. Guess it just won't be for the Cowboys.

Honestly...I would have kept him. I hate the idea of exposing Lamb returning kicks...Lamb just looks like a guy that's gonna get hurt returning kicks....then we are screwed on offense.

HappyOnions

Datwin
Reaction score
He's too one dimensional and injury prone.

Made a great catch against Washington last year and that's all I can really remember.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I would guess Cooper, Gallup, Lamb, Wilson and Brown if they kept five.
Not sure who the other two could be or who a possible 6th would be.

If Ventell Bryant is OK, it could be him. (I haven't read how bad his injury was.)

The other option would be Jon'Vea Johnson, but I don't think he did enough to force them to keep him on anything other than the PS.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Cowboys cut Devin Smith - ProFootballTalk

GettyImages-1176686059-e1599065451696.jpg

Devin Smith's NFL career has taken another stumble. Smith is being released by the Cowboys, according to Michael Gehlken of the Dallas Morning News. It was always going to be an uphill battle for Smith to make the Cowboys' roster. Wide receiver is a loaded position in Dallas, and Amari Cooper, Michael Gallup, CeeDee Lamb, [more]

Read Full Story

One rare long TD vs a dog Skins team is this young man claim to fame.
Next, please....

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
If any of the Big 3 went down, Smith would be the best serving as the go-to replacement. Problem is you can’t have a guy like that as your 4th/5th.

This year, Vets can be put on the PS. Perfect place for that reserve starter in case a starter starts missing full games.

Bet Redmond comes back if we can get him. Smith too.

Can they just *decline* to come back to the PS, and still be free to go elsewhere?

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I think is a street FA in season. I dont see a team picking him up. He isnt some 23-24 year old that still has potential.

I dont think much of Smith as an overall WR. But he has very good linear speed. I think he would be a weapon if they wanted to use a commitee approach to that 4th WR spot and use it to exploit mismatches

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
This year, Vets can be put on the PS. Perfect place for that reserve starter in case a starter starts missing full games.

Bet Redmond comes back if we can get him. Smith too.

Can they just *decline* to come back to the PS, and still be free to go elsewhere?

Yeah, I believe a player has a choice to sign on to the practice squad or not. They get paid significantly less so it’s a different type of contract.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
PS candidate. Cowboys are allowing him to hit the waiver wire early so their ability to claim him for the PS comes as soon as possible.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Someone else will pick him up.
I disagree, other teams are too distracted with their own rosters right now, they won't be looking to pick up others teams castoffs until they are done making their own cuts. By that time the clock for Devin to be on the waiver wire will have expired and the Cowboys will scoop him up for their PS. I don't think any other team is going to claim him for their 53-man roster unless Jason Garrett gets sneaky and claims hin for the Giants.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think Ventell Bryant is a possible candidate for WR #6 if his knee tweak isn't too serious. We'll soon see.

Better Bryant than Johnson. Johnson is fast but can't catch. Not sure how Bryant's hands are. But he does play ST's.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Roy is going to be so upset that Devin the big time playmaker Smith didn't make the team........ didn't even make it to Saturday.

Hate to say it but I told you so

I was pulling for Smith. But not upset he was released either. It happens, I trust the coaches at this point they are just getting to the best 53, and best 5 WR's, or 6 that helps the team.
By releasing him now, they can sign him to the PS on Saturday as opposed to waiting he clears waivers on Sunday at 3 PM CST.
Maybe they feel he sneaks through as teams are still looking at cut downs of their own.