PFT: Cowboys have Looney, Williams, McGovern as options at center

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
That's a lot of options .........not sure we need to spend a 1st round pick on another one, at least not this year. Let's use 2020 to see if one of these guys is the answer.

Cowboys have Looney, Williams, McGovern as options at center
Posted by Charean Williams on April 22, 2020, 3:07 PM EDT

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...ooney-williams-mcgovern-as-options-at-center/

The Cowboys drafted Travis Frederick in the first round of the 2013 draft. They were criticized by many for using the 31st overall choice for a center.

Frederick proved the Cowboys right with five Pro Bowls and an All-Pro.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
That's a lot of options .........not sure we need to spend a 1st round pick on another one, at least not this year. Let's use 2020 to see if one of these guys is the answer.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...ooney-williams-mcgovern-as-options-at-center/

The Cowboys drafted Travis Frederick in the first round of the 2013 draft. They were criticized by many for using the 31st overall choice for a center.

But is McGovern an OC or OG in their eyes? How well do they evaluate him at OC?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

A nice way of telling Peter King to shut up!

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I respect the fact that Looney, Williams and McGovern are considered as options at center. Yet, I wouldn't mind if Cesar Ruiz is targeted as our next center to be. He'd be an excellent choice if the Cowboys decide to move down in the 1st round. That position is a crucial element for our OL. Looney, McGovern and Williams would still be excellent candidates to offer backup support or more in the near future. Our OL is a building block for success.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I respect the fact that Looney, Williams and McGovern are considered as options at center. Yet, I wouldn't mind if Cesar Ruiz is targeted as our next center to be. He'd be an excellent choice if the Cowboys decide to move down in the 1st round. That position is a crucial element for our OL. Looney, McGovern and Williams would still be excellent candidates to offer backup support or more in the near future. Our OL is a building block for success.

I'd hate it.

Where have these huge investments on the offensive line gotten this team? Nowhere near a championship, that's for sure. Fact is that the returns made by the offensive line and running back positions have never equaled the investments.

Other teams somehow make due, because they have good coaching. We should too.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
BPA, baby. Much more important to hit on the pick. You don’t know when you’re going to need a player at any position. That first pick needs to be able to take a reasonable number of snaps on day one, but that’s basically the only requirement.

Creeper

Reaction score
There are multiple options for the OL. The weak links are C and LG. But imagine drafting a beast to play LG, and making Williams the swing tackle. Then McGovern can try to win the Center job. I l ike Netane Muti recognizing he is raw and needs to work on his technique. But no one I have seen in years has the punch Muti has. He stuns DTs with his punch. Its something to watch. He reminds me of Larry Allen the way he knocks guys back with his hands. The problem is his feet are not as good as his hands so he needs to work on that. He is a multitude of holding calls waiting to happen because he is sloppy with his technique. If he isn't your man, then how about Damien Lewis. When I watch films of LSU, Lewis stands out to me on that OL. He is a bull, and has some meanness. He is probably more ready to play in the NFL than Muti, even though Muti is projected to go higher in the draft.

Of they can draft one of the OTs and move Collins inside. I don't think they will but imagine Becton at RT and Collins at LG. Smith, Collins, Looney or McGovern, Martin, Becton? Center doesn't look like as much of a problem does it?

btw, for the record, I am not criticizing Connor Williams. If they draft a Center and Williams continues to play LG I won't be upset about it. He gets the job done - but not much more, especially when he is not on the move. He is much better blocking in space, maybe the best on the Cowboys OL. But he has to face some of the biggest strongest DTs in the league who play for NFC East teams. Sometimes I think he is overmatched by power.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I'd hate it.

Where have these huge investments on the offensive line gotten this team? Nowhere near a championship, that's for sure. Fact is that the returns made by the offensive line and running back positions have never equaled the investments.

Other teams somehow make due, because they have good coaching. We should too.

I wouldn't expect everyone to be thrilled at the aspect of a center being our pick, although there's cause to respect the fact that Ruiz would be the most likely replacement for the loss of Travis Frederick. I think McGovern is capable of replacing either Tyron Smith or Collins in a pinch. Same can be said for Williams, although, possibly to a lesser degree. The Dallas OL is the key to offensive success for Dallas, no question there. Dallas is open to moving down in the draft and Ruiz would be one of the targets in that scenario, like it or not. The lesser DE under Chaisson would be another.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I wouldn't expect everyone to be thrilled at the aspect of a center being our pick, although there's cause to respect the fact that Ruiz would be the most likely replacement for the loss of Travis Frederick. I think McGovern is capable of replacing either Tyron Smith or Collins in a pinch. Same can be said for Williams, although, possibly to a lesser degree. The Dallas OL is the key to offensive success for Dallas, no question there.

Teams somehow manage without having to invest a 1st or 2nd round pick at every position.

This team needs to figure that out as well.

1. Tyron Smith - 1st round pick
  2. Connor Williams - 2nd round pick
  3. Connor McGovern - 3rd round pick
  4. Zack Martin - 1st round pick
  5. La'El Collins - 1st round pick (we all know that story)

Thankfully, the new staff somehow managed to win without 1st rounders across the board and I expect them to do that again. When you have coaches, you don't have to have 1st round picks everywhere and try to 'out talent' everyone you play.

Kwyn

Reaction score

Reading the tea leaves it sounds like he has enough to work with at Center that we won’t need to spend a high draft pick on the position

Sounds good to me. More for the defensive side of the ball, especially since I have sneaky suspicion that one of the top 3 receivers will get to us while CJ and K’Lavon don’t and we end up with a WR in the first round.

Bluefin

Reaction score
But is McGovern an OC or OG in their eyes? How well do they evaluate him at OC?
It's going to be very difficult to evaluate things with team facilities closed and players having to find ways to workout at home.

I believe McG can play guard and center, but it's impossible to get an idea until the team is back together on the practice field again under the eyes of the new coaching staff.

Connor Williams is returning from a late season ACL, would the coaches even want him to try learning a new position on top of rehabbing?

Joe Looney is a solid reserve, but sacks allowed went from 34 in 2017 with Travis Frederick to 56 in 2018 with Jumbo Joe and then down to 23 in 2019 with the return of the beard.

The '18 Jumbo Joe season also saw a career low 6 rushing TDs from Ezekiel Elliott (15 gms). Zeke had 7 rushing TDs in only 10 games in 2017 d/t suspension. He had 15 rushing TDs as a rookie (15 gms) and 12 rushing TDs last year (16 gms).

It wasn't all Looney's fault, of course, but he's not meant to be a full-time starter.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
It's going to be very difficult to evaluate things with team facilities closed and players having to find ways to workout at home.

I believe McG can play guard and center, but it's impossible to get an idea until the team is back together on the practice field again under the eyes of the new coaching staff.

Connor Williams is returning from a late season ACL, would the coaches even want him to try learning a new position on top of rehabbing?

Joe Looney is a solid reserve, but sacks allowed went from 34 in 2017 with Travis Frederick to 56 in 2018 with Jumbo Joe and then down to 23 in 2019 with the return of the beard.

The '18 Jumbo Joe season also saw a career low 6 rushing TDs from Ezekiel Elliott (15 gms). Zeke had 7 rushing TDs in only 10 games in 2017 d/t suspension. He had 15 rushing TDs as a rookie (15 gms) and 12 rushing TDs last year (16 gms).

It wasn't all Looney's fault, of course, but he's not meant to be a full-time starter.
He has amount tape doing both at PSU. Big question is what Dallas thinks of his tape at OC

Personally Id like to see McGovern win the job. That gives the most talent across the OL. However Im not dismissive of Kings belief they might trade down and take Ruiz either.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Looney showed he is a backup only, not a starter. If we don’t look for a starting center, it better be because McGovern is ready for the job. Looney proved he wasn’t. The team wasn’t destroyed like having Green at LT, but he wasn’t strong enough up the middle, was weak and slow on calls, and many have already forgotten his blown shotgun snaps.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Teams somehow manage without having to invest a 1st or 2nd round pick at every position.

This team needs to figure that out as well.

1. Tyron Smith - 1st round pick
  2. Connor Williams - 2nd round pick
  3. Connor McGovern - 3rd round pick
  4. Zack Martin - 1st round pick
  5. La'El Collins - 1st round pick (we all know that story)

Thankfully, the new staff somehow managed to win without 1st rounders across the board and I expect them to do that again. When you have coaches, you don't have to have 1st round picks everywhere and try to 'out talent' everyone you play.

Nobody likes the fact that Travis Frederick was subjected to the disease that destroyed his career but a suitable replacement should be made. Whether Williams, Looney, or McGovern are actually qualified is truthfully in question, yet all of them could prove vital to a team with the running game being their offensive staple. I'm not saying it's a sacred responsibility to draft Ruiz but it's a possibility, nonetheless. There's a fair chance that we'd be inclined to drop down in round one. The upside would be gaining an extra pick (or two) -- not such a bad thing, actually and a fair opportunity to improve.