PFT: Cowboys have Looney, Williams, McGovern as options at center

jnday

Reaction score
I consider it a "bad thing" when you fail to fill bigger needs and continue to invest premium draft resources into a group where you've already invested more than a reasonable amount.
All of this depends on what’s left on the board at 17.

Carter

Reaction score
Cant afford another First Rounder on the O-Line. We cant spend 70% of the Future Cap on one Department (O-Line).

I would let McGovern and Looney battle out the Starting Spot. I trust both to do the job. Of course they are no Fredbeard.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
But is McGovern an OC or OG in their eyes? How well do they evaluate him at OC?
Coming out of college, McGovern was one of the top-ranked OG/OC in the draft. That had to be a factor that got the Cowboys' attention.

I think the Cowboys can wait a season to see if any of these options mentioned can fill the role.

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score
I want Connor Williams to play Center. I think his build is perfect for it, maybe not the brains though.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'd hate it.

Where have these huge investments on the offensive line gotten this team? Nowhere near a championship, that's for sure. Fact is that the returns made by the offensive line and running back positions have never equaled the investments.

Other teams somehow make due, because they have good coaching. We should too.

Yes, well said.
Nate Newton once responded when asked about the OL creating lanes for Emmitt, you know the old Emmitt vs. Barry thing.
Nate said, we were a bunch of nobodies until Emmitt got here. (which by the way, Barry had 2 Akk Pro OL, the they draft one high I believe before he got there).

So time for Zeke and if they really are all in on Dak as the franchise QB, so time to earn that money and lead the team.
As you know I am a Zeke fan, but time to continue his being one of the best, if not the best (there are differing opinions as we know) RB's in the NFL, and time for Dak to continue to prove he is a top 5 (at least stat wise), and get those playoff wins.

Go D in the draft, heavy D at that.

starfan1

Reaction score
I’d be ok if the cowboys draft one of top 3 WR or even a trade down would be ok and grab one of the safety’s

not keen on center position but won’t lose sleep if it’s a trade down and we pick up a pick somewhere at the top of round 2 to go with that pick

today is a good day

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
Yes, well said.
Nate Newton once responded when asked about the OL creating lanes for Emmitt, you know the old Emmitt vs. Barry thing.
Nate said, we were a bunch of nobodies until Emmitt got here. (which by the way, Barry had 2 Akk Pro OL, the they draft one high I believe before he got there).

So time for Zeke and if they really are all in on Dak as the franchise QB, so time to earn that money and lead the team.
As you know I am a Zeke fan, but time to continue his being one of the best, if not the best (there are differing opinions as we know) RB's in the NFL, and time for Dak to continue to prove he is a top 5 (at least stat wise), and get those playoff wins.

Love this post Jazz.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
All of this depends on what’s left on the board at 17.

Certainly, but even if I traded down, there are plenty of defensive players that I could use those picks on.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yes, well said.

:thumbup::clap::bow:

RodeoJake

Reaction score
Tfred got paid for a year with an illness that was not football related and them he leaves the team. Did he give up the rest of his money or do we still owe him??? Not hating just being honest.

I'm thinking Covid-19 had much to do with his decision. Although he's mostly recovered from gb, his immune system is severely weakened. Godspeed TFred. We were lucky to have had you anchor our line.

blueblood70

Reaction score
That's a lot of options .........not sure we need to spend a 1st round pick on another one, at least not this year. Let's use 2020 to see if one of these guys is the answer.

Cowboys have Looney, Williams, McGovern as options at center
Posted by Charean Williams on April 22, 2020, 3:07 PM EDT

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...ooney-williams-mcgovern-as-options-at-center/

The Cowboys drafted Travis Frederick in the first round of the 2013 draft. They were criticized by many for using the 31st overall choice for a center.

Frederick proved the Cowboys right with five Pro Bowls and an All-Pro.
yes those 3 guys are battling for best 2 get LG and C the loser gets backup duties.. we are set there and thats why drafting that postion in this draft would be a waste of a pick..we actually could use a swing T who has potential to be future starting RT and kick LC to LT..

kskboys

Reaction score
BPA, baby. Much more important to hit on the pick. You don’t know when you’re going to need a player at any position. That first pick needs to be able to take a reasonable number of snaps on day one, but that’s basically the only requirement.
Terrible drafting strategy. What's important is to build a team, and analyze what every player would bring to the team and how much they'd improve it. Just taking players willy nilly because someone perceives them to be the best player on the board is foolish and leads to mediocrity.

Qcard

Reaction score
That's a lot of options .........not sure we need to spend a 1st round pick on another one, at least not this year. Let's use 2020 to see if one of these guys is the answer.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...ooney-williams-mcgovern-as-options-at-center/

The Cowboys drafted Travis Frederick in the first round of the 2013 draft. They were criticized by many for using the 31st overall choice for a center.

Ehhhh....I like McCarthy's quotes about the Center depth and overall Oline assessment but it sounds like "Center by committee".

If Centers Hennessy or Ruiz are the best player available at 17th pick you have to pull the trigger. Take the Center...it is a NEED and usually Olinemen at this position in the draft especially centers are top 1-2 prospects

Either can be a solid block in the next version of Cowboys Oline.
Williams, McGovern and Looney weren't 1st Rd draft prospects. Hennessy or Ruiz are possible upgrades.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Terrible drafting strategy. What's important is to build a team, and analyze what every player would bring to the team and how much they'd improve it. Just taking players willy nilly because someone perceives them to be the best player on the board is foolish and leads to mediocrity.

Lol. BPA is a fried and fruity strategy. It’s also the opposite of willy-nilly since your hyper-targeting for ability.

Analyzing “what every player would bring to the team and how much they'd improve it” is pretty much the definition of BPA anyway, dude. What you’re talking about is drafting for need, and that’s how you end up hurting yourself.

Of course, nobody is suggesting you don’t try to navigate the draft board via trades to get into position where adding the most value also happens to coincide with where you have holes your roster. But when your done navigating, you take the best player. That gives you Travis Fredericks where your otherwise get Taco Chartons.

Wood

Reaction score

Looney is back-up only unless you want Dak having bad year because speed of progression reading isn't his strength. Williams is average to below average tackle - this means he has to make it at center but is unproven in that role. McGovern is x factor here because if he is really good tackle or center then it fixes alot but again unproven. I still think Dallas needs to take OL in this draft and nail it.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

One guy is a backup and two guys play guard and arent proven to be any good yet.

time to draft a new center.

jnday

Reaction score
I want Connor Williams to play Center. I think his build is perfect for it, maybe not the brains though.
Asking a guy to play center in the pros after never playing the position his entire life is asking too much. Williams should be the swing tackle. His frame fits the tackle position much better than it fits center.