PFT: Cowboys have Looney, Williams, McGovern as options at center

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He has amount tape doing both at PSU. Big question is what Dallas thinks of his tape at OC

Personally Id like to see McGovern win the job. That gives the most talent across the OL. However Im not dismissive of Kings belief they might trade down and take Ruiz either.

I am dismissive. King stopped being an actual NFL Insider over a decade ago.

I'm calling it right now that I don;t think he has a clue as to what Dallas or anyone else is going to do. I think he's flat-out, completely wrong. But if the team does do as he seems to think, I'll gladly give him the credit and eat my crow for being completely wrong. But I say there's no chance this happens.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Nobody likes the fact that Travis Frederick was subjected to the disease that destroyed his career but a suitable replacement should be made. Whether Williams, Looney, or McGovern are actually qualified is truthfully in question, yet all of them could prove vital to a team with the running game being their offensive staple. I'm not saying it's a sacred responsibility to draft Ruiz but it's a possibility, nonetheless. There's a fair chance that we'd be inclined to drop down in round one. The upside would be gaining an extra pick (or two) -- not such a bad thing, actually and an opportunity to improve.

I consider it a "bad thing" when you fail to fill bigger needs and continue to invest premium draft resources into a group where you've already invested more than a reasonable amount.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I consider it a "bad thing" when you fail to fill bigger needs and continue to invest premium draft resources into a group where you've already invested more than a reasonable amount.

Well taken, although, those "bigger needs" could be well satisfied if extra picks were to be used in an opportune way. No need to panic. It's not a given.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Well taken, although, those "bigger needs" could be well satisfied if extra picks were to be used in an opportune way. No need to panic. It's not a given.

No panic, just a strong preference.

I can still fill far bigger needs at any spot where Ruiz would still be available.

This team has made the investments, they have the in-house options, and they need to make it work without investing another high draft pick.

That's exactly why they hired a proven coach like Joe Philbin, so they didn't have to compensate for a shortcoming by throwing high picks at it.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'll break my TV if Dallas goes OL round 1
'
I think my uncle has an zenith 24" console TV from the 1960's in stoarage somewhere. He might sell it cheap if you destroy your TV and need a replacement.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
No panic, just a strong preference.

I can still fill far bigger needs at any spot where Ruiz would still be available.

This team has made the investments, they have the in-house options, and they need to make it work without investing another high draft pick.

That's exactly why they hired a proven coach like Joe Philbin, so they didn't have to compensate for a shortcoming by throwing high picks at it.

Ruiz, in fact, has been known to be climbing into serious contention to be a late first and perhaps a high second round pick. It wouldn't be an absurd reach to take him and an extra pick or two in the process. I truly hope we both enjoy the upcoming draft and are happy with what we get. :D

Bluefin

Reaction score
He has amount tape doing both at PSU. Big question is what Dallas thinks of his tape at OC

Personally Id like to see McGovern win the job. That gives the most talent across the OL. However Im not dismissive of Kings belief they might trade down and take Ruiz either.
I just want to add talent.

If a coveted prospect slides within reach, go get him.

If another team wants to come up to #17 and pays the price, do it.

I understand some not wanting to spend another high pick on an OL, it's not my preference, but I'm not scared of doing it.

Cesar Ruiz is a good player, just not at #17.

Just follow the board as closely as possible and bring in some talent.

I'm still mad at selecting Trysten Hill in round two last year with obvious better names on the board.

Dallas reached to fill a need and Hill was a healthy scratch for most of last season.

Hill has potential, he's very young with loads of athleticism, but round two wasn't the spot to select a project.

I hope he works out, but my expectations are very low.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
If it serves to comfort anyone in the event that Dallas moves down in the 1st round -- DE, Gross-Matos is also an alternative in that scenario. :flagwave:

Yes, K'Lavon Chaisson is rated higher, but he's neither a sure-fire success nor someone that couldn't be taken higher than pick #17. We'll see, ok?

Dallas has been doing a ton of research lately on Gross-Matos. I'm certain that they are seriously considering him as an alternative to DE Chaisson.

Last edited:

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
McGovern can realistically be looked at like a 2020 2nd/3rd round OL prospect with starting experience at both interior positions. A player you expect to immediately compete for the opening at OC. Unless McGovern was so underwhelming last season in the short time he was able to practice before the injury, i don't see the need to add another high draft pick for OC.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
McGovern can realistically be looked at like a 2020 2nd/3rd round OL prospect with starting experience at both interior positions. A player you expect to immediately compete for the opening at OC. Unless McGovern was so underwhelming last season in the short time he was able to practice before the injury, i don't see the need to add another high draft pick for OC.

Still, the Cowboys have surely been doing all possible to check out DE, Gross-Matos.

It surely isn't like OC is the only alternative. There are some who believe he's as good.

Last edited:

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
That's a lot of options .........not sure we need to spend a 1st round pick on another one, at least not this year. Let's use 2020 to see if one of these guys is the answer.

Cowboys have Looney, Williams, McGovern as options at center
Posted by Charean Williams on April 22, 2020, 3:07 PM EDT

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...ooney-williams-mcgovern-as-options-at-center/

The Cowboys drafted Travis Frederick in the first round of the 2013 draft. They were criticized by many for using the 31st overall choice for a center.

Frederick proved the Cowboys right with five Pro Bowls and an All-Pro.
Tfred got paid for a year with an illness that was not football related and them he leaves the team. Did he give up the rest of his money or do we still owe him??? Not hating just being honest.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Tfred got paid for a year with an illness that was not football related and them he leaves the team. Did he give up the rest of his money or do we still owe him??? Not hating just being honest.

It gets complicated depending upon a number of factors that change the numbers, depending upon what transpires between now and later. Best bet is to check with Google to see what's what. My poor head starts swimming with all the various scenarios that play into it. It's not a set amount by any means.

Last edited:

Bluefin

Reaction score
A player has to be on the roster in order to get paid.

Travis Frederick will not receive his scheduled 2020 base salary of $7M or any future base salaries beyond that (under contract through 2023). Fred is giving up on earning $32.4M over the next four years.

Prior bonus money will remain on Dallas' cap, totaling $11.04M. The amount will likely be split over the next two seasons, $4.975M now and $6.065M in 2021. The Cowboys could ask to be repaid this money, but will not do it.

I wish Fredbeard would give it another year.

I understand Travis' frustration with not being able to physically do things he could before the injury, but it's a condition that can take a very long time to get over.

I'm sure the team has let him know this.

StuckMojo

Reaction score
Williams scares me at center especially coming off knee injury. To me he struggled at guard and now add snapping the ball and calling out blocking assignments to his duties.

fivetwos

Reaction score
But those guys arent guaranteed all pros.

We stars at every position on offense, then we can think about stopping the other team.

This has to be the only situation in the history of the league where a center retires and the 3rd round pick with a 2nd round grade from the previous year isn't good enough.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
I'll break my TV if Dallas goes OL round 1

I agree. The only offensive pick in Rd 1 should be QB if one lands in their lap. if not it should be defense, defense and more defense. I would be ok with a TE in rounds 3 or 4.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Williams scares me at center especially coming off knee injury. To me he struggled at guard and now add snapping the ball and calling out blocking assignments to his duties.
I'm not sure he is strong enough to play there either.

He doesn't strike me as big enough for T either. Dont know on him. He may be a backup.

If no one is added in the draft and they want the best 5 on the field, it's going to be McG at LG, and Looney at C.