News: PFT: Dan Bailey back to kicking like Dan Bailey again

Hardline

Reaction score
The salary cap was a bigger factor in cutting Bailey than his performance.

Carson

Reaction score
Because Cheap Steve wanted to save a buck.

At the time, Jerry made the right move.

High salary hit, inconsistent etc.

The Vikings lucked out on him. He was inconsistent last season. They also traded for another kicker in the preseason.

LovinItAll

Reaction score
Maher is money....inside the 30.

2/3 30-39, 0/1 40-49, and 2/4 50+. No doubt he has a big leg, but one might argue that there have been key misses that may have changed the outcome of 2 games.

I miss Bailey, too. It's unfortunate he had - for him - a bad campaign in 2017. Statistically, his bad year was better than Maher has been this year.

vlad

Reaction score
But we kept Rico on the active roster, and you know Gregory. A shame they sugar ir him and let him work through it to see if he could return to form.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
Im sorry but Bailey was done.

He was less accurate as the season went along and in the playoffs. Also, he became a crutch to where Garrett wouldnt go for it on 4th and 1 to settle for Bailey. At least with Maher, we would go for it, problem is the playcalling.
The guy wasn't all that healthy. We still don't go for it much. Now we settle for 60 yard FG's which I think is the only reason we picked up Maher. We stick with scrubs for years but we can't be loyal to Bailey for one year. After all the games he won for us.

romothesavior

Reaction score
I would've placed Bailey on IR that season instead of just cutting him. Give him time to rest and get rid of Maher ASAP. Maher is the anti bailey. He's erratic, unpredictable, and completely unreliable.
Agreed. We were way too hasty in cutting him.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Go back a couple years and you'll see no one here was begging to keep Dan Bailey, especially after he blew a 21 yarder vs Seattle that ended hopes for 2017.

He and his 75% success rate were "done", among other things...but let's rewrite history now. :rolleyes:

Lutonio

Reaction score
I haven't watched the team's last three games and said to myself "We would have that game if only we had a better kicker."

Again, the Cowboys have bigger problems than kicker right now.

blueblood70

Reaction score
ridiculous threads, Hindsight sure is 20- 20 lmao.. so we should have stuck with a kicker who lost it, was injured and took 18months to get back to normal? he had huge contract and it was the correct move..

Im with others Maher will force the OC and HC to call more aggressive plays on that side of the 50 vs FG after FG..sure I hope Maher cleans it up but remember maher was like 11-1 his first 12 Fgs was he not..? hes made some big ones to set up some he missed later but never would those had mattered if he doesnt kick a 50 and 62 earlier..

sure its inconsistent and worrisome but 16-20 other teams have similar kicker and not many kickers on the open market who are better..

Galian Beast

Reaction score
ridiculous threads, Hindsight sure is 20- 20 lmao.. so we should have stuck with a kicker who lost it, was injured and took 18months to get back to normal? he had huge contract and it was the correct move..

Im with others Maher will force the OC and HC to call more aggressive plays on that side of the 50 vs FG after FG..sure I hope Maher cleans it up but remember maher was like 11-1 his first 12 Fgs was he not..? hes made some big ones to set up some he missed later but never would those had mattered if he doesnt kick a 50 and 62 earlier..

sure its inconsistent and worrisome but 16-20 other teams have similar kicker and not many kickers on the open market who are better..

This isn't hindsight. A lot of people didn't agree with keeping maher over bailey.

blueblood70

Reaction score
This isn't hindsight. A lot of people didn't agree with keeping maher over bailey.

not true... its hindsight because he was trash for 18months and maher had good season that year he replaced Baily.. so its for sure looking in the past and its stupid..

it was the 100% correct move to let Baily go at that moment..

Galian Beast

Reaction score
not true... its hindsight because he was trash for 18months and maher had good season that year he replaced Baily.. so its for sure looking in the past and its stupid..

it was the 100% correct move to let Baily go at that moment..

I don't think you know what hindsight means.

hind·sight
/ˈhīn(d)ˌsīt/
Learn to pronounce
noun
noun: hindsight
  1. understanding of a situation or event only after it has happened or developed.
People said that given up on the greatest kicker in NFL history because he was struggling through injuries for a kicker who wasn't even great in the CFL was a mistake. The results are not hindsight.