News: PFT: Daryl Johnston promoted to USFL president of football operations

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
San Antonio is a big city. The 7th largest U.S. city by population and the 24th largest U.S. metro area by population.
Big, yes, but it keeps being passed over by the NFL and MLB. The Spurs are a bad team and now the franchise will begin struggling.
Now, a plan that includes Austin? The San Antonio-Austin corridor is the next big thing. That would work, but a team midway in San Marcos? Hmmm.

aikemirv

Reaction score
none of those leagues will ever work
Yeah the only way it would work is for them to tie these teams to college football conferences and base their roster on those conference affiliations. Then you would have a natural following that people would have an interest in watching. That's my opinion anyway and I think that is the path to success for these leagues

blueblood70

Reaction score
Yeah it isn't like the 50s or 60s where they could just sign college football stars and bring in a ton of attention and some money to their new league.

Kinda makes you wonder if Musk,Bezos and some other multi billionaires got together to usurp the NFL if it would take, if they had many many billions to do a startup like that.
even more complicated then that, much much more money, think about the NFL as club that allows Buy-ins where you have to have 3-10 bill just to be considered. there's 32 of these with very little turnover.

so more then a few billions would be needed to form a full league and a decade to try and get breakeven profits and catchup to the nfl. maybe the USFL/XFL can operate as a Dleague but if you want an actual competitor, it would taKE100billion plus and many many years to even maybe an attempt to compete against the NFL if they could even find payers good enough to form product as good or better., doubt thats possible..

a good idea above was possibly merging usfl and xfl to make it better but it will never be the NFL.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Arena was the best model and that eventually failed
Agreed. Arena Ball was fun to watch. I used to watch NFL Europe just to see the guys claimed by the Cowboys.

The only leagues that ever had a chance against the NFL were the AFL and first USFL. It’s too big now.

Every league has some type of minors system. I think that’s the best you can hope for. Partner with the NFL and help develop players or give guys a shot who have skills but college admission issues like our Kick Returner. Some type of NBA G-League although I’m sure the college franchises would push back.

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
I think the XFL can make it long term as long as the Rock stays the face of it.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
I have watched 2 of seattle seadragon games, because ben dinucci is the leading qb in the xfl.
will watch the playoffs, hoping dragons make the playoffs.
How is Da Nooch playing? Havent been able to follow between work and being a full-time, year round Cowboys fan...

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
How is Da Nooch playing? Havent been able to follow between work and being a full-time, year round Cowboys fan...
He's not showing me anything that would make me want to bring him back to camp.

There aren't enough good QBs for the NFL let alone lesser leagues.

csirl

Reaction score
Dont understand why USFL isnt televising games in Europe. Plenty of TV stations looking for live sport to fill schedules. Every piece of revenue/exposure is important for any second tier league.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
He plays for the seattle seadragons, they were 5-2 and played the # 1 team that was 6-1 and they lost by one point 33-34
he is leading the xfl in passing. He also does a good job taking off and running.
I am hoping his team can make the playoffs.

csirl

Reaction score
Dont understand why USFL isnt televising games in Europe. Plenty of TV stations looking for live sport to fill schedules. Every piece of revenue/exposure is important for any second tier league.
Have to correct myself. Turned on TV today and Michigan v Houston is on live.