News: PFT: Daryl Johnston promoted to USFL president of football operations

SlammedZero

Reaction score
Even if the league eventually folds, it's still a great opportunity for him. He can get in there and get his feet weet on the "front office" side of football, even if it is doing so in an inferior league to the NFL. He might find it's something he loves and/or is good at, and that can possibly open some doors for him in the NFL.

I wish him the best. He seems like a guy that truly deserves it.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I could care so less about the USFL I didn’t even know Moose had a job in that league.

CowboysRule

Reaction score
USFL and XFL need to merge if they want to hang around. Any kind of new league like that needs enough funding to lose money for at least 5-10 years. That's been a big issue for the recent leagues. They barely have enough money to make it through the season. It's not going to catch on overnight.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Ah, lads, tha might be a super team of management as our GMs at Frisco.
I can dream, can't I, ruffians?

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
USFL and XFL need to merge if they want to hang around. Any kind of new league like that needs enough funding to lose money for at least 5-10 years. That's been a big issue for the recent leagues. They barely have enough money to make it through the season. It's not going to catch on overnight.
They dunna realize tha they need to cater to the Knoxvilles, San Antonios and Salt Lake Cities and stay away from big cities.
And, if I can interject further, those small leagues most draft from only their designated boundaries, thus the home town boys can be cheered.

Parcells4Life

Reaction score
It is a lot of responsibility being the number 1 crew like going somewhere where you are advertised to appear and going to interviews is an example.

Also, I will not be surprised if Moose actually chooses on most games he would like to call (outside game of the week). Last year, he called a lot of games around the Northeast part of the area.
Every crew even doing ESPN+ MAC Tuesday night games doing interviews with teams before the game. Most announcers like doing interviews with local radio and TV crews in the market the games in because it draws ratings and helps their career.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I think they are bringing it back in 2024, or going to try to.
If they are going after low hanging fruit, I think they could find some success. Fun thing to do on a Friday or Saturday night in smaller towns could be profitable

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I hope both leagues make it and are successful. I have not watched a lot of the XFL yet. But it helps develop players, even if a stepping stone into the NFL.

People will say not as high quality as the NFL but really it is. It is that most the players are equal as most in the NFL are. Needs to be taken in context. It won't be as lopsided as some college games, once they get established more.
You won't have Alabama's playing Monroe from LA.

When it gets to June and July, fans will appreciate a football game. I think the XFL starts a bit too soon. It they waited until now, mid April, or mid May, fans would appreciate it more.

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
I hope both leagues make it and are successful. I have not watched a lot of the XFL yet. But it helps develop players, even if a stepping stone into the NFL.

People will say not as high quality as the NFL but really it is. It is that most the players are equal as most in the NFL are. Needs to be taken in context. It won't be as lopsided as some college games, once they get established more.
You won't have Alabama's playing Monroe from LA.

When it gets to June and July, fans will appreciate a football game. I think the XFL starts a bit too soon. It they waited until now, mid April, or mid May, fans would appreciate it more.
The main difference between lesser leagues and the NFL comes down to two things:

1) Bad QBs
2) Bad Kickers

All the other positions in the XFL have a bunch of guys that could get looks in camps. Some could even contribute because they got overlooked, slipped through the cracks, or just weren't ready yet.

TexasHillbilly

Reaction score
I really dont understand why Greg Olsen passed Johnston. Johnston just did the job for 20 years, why was he not calling the last Super Bowl? weird. Now he will be out of work when the USFL inevitably folds in a year.
I don't think so. Moose is a really good analyst and unbiased when he calls games. He wanted to try something different. Can't blame him.

Mannix

Reaction score
Not a big fan of him in the booth, but I thought he was smarter than that.

conner01

Reaction score
Even if the league eventually folds, it's still a great opportunity for him. He can get in there and get his feet weet on the "front office" side of football, even if it is doing so in an inferior league to the NFL. He might find it's something he loves and/or is good at, and that can possibly open some doors for him in the NFL.

I wish him the best. He seems like a guy that truly deserves it.
Maybe he replaces roger one day
We can only hope
63 mil is not too shabby of a job

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
These leagues have a very slim chance of survival. There’s simply not enough TV generated money for them or enough diehard football fans. They’re another temporary breeding ground for possibly overlooked talent to prove themselves for a last ditch shot in the NFL. Once a monopoly is around it’s practically impossible to introduce competition without some massive technological innovation (which doesn’t exist here) or government intervention.

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
The product isn't as bad as I remember from the initial XFL days about 20 years ago. The talent isn't on par with the NFL obviously, but it's watchable and competitive. The quality of play isn't NFL Europe bad where it was hard to watch a full game, etc.

I'll take that kind of football over just about every other sport.

Love Moose!

I think he didn't get promoted bc he tends to shy away from the "hot take" just for the sake of...he made it a point not make his opinion the topic instead of the substance of the game itself. Even Aikman does some of that to ensure his opinion can stand out amongst the other commentators to some extent.

Last edited:

joseephuss

Reaction score
They dunna realize tha they need to cater to the Knoxvilles, San Antonios and Salt Lake Cities and stay away from big cities.
And, if I can interject further, those small leagues most draft from only their designated boundaries, thus the home town boys can be cheered.
San Antonio is a big city. The 7th largest U.S. city by population and the 24th largest U.S. metro area by population.