PFT: Hurts's contract makes it easy to trade him

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
He was second in the MVP voting just last season and led Philly to the SB and there’s talk of trading him? Everyone lives in the moment. :rolleyes:

Swagger

Reaction score
Why on earth would the Eagles trade Hurts?

He would have been MVP last season had he not got injured late in the season. He had a down season this term but the Eagles had a load of issues not least of which a horrific secondary defense giving up countless points. He was still able to help the team win double digit games in the regular season. He also played lights out in a Superbowl. He really is low on their list of problems.

exciter

Reaction score
Look, I hate the Eagles as much as the next person but some of these reports are reckless.

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profo...asy-for-eagles-to-trade-jalen-hurts-in-theory

Contract makes it easy for Eagles to trade Jalen Hurts, in theory​

Published January 23, 2024 01:42 PM

Plenty of time has been spent over the past week on the question of whether coach Nick Sirianni will be back with the Eagles. There’s another question that has yet to be explored.

Will quarterback Jalen Hurts return?

While there’s no specific reason to believe the Eagles or Hurts are ready for a fresh start, the general sense of dysfunction within the locker room seemed palpable toward the end of the season. It feels like something big happened, something we don’t know about. Something we might never know about. Whatever it was/is could be enough, in theory, to make the team or the player interested in making a change.
Thinking it’s much more likely they move away from Brown. Team seam to circle around Hurts while Brown seemed to ostracize himself from teammates. Regardless, bringing him (Brown) back would seem nearly impossible considering his childish exit and overall selfishness throughout the season!

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
If the other team has to pick up the bonus money because it's an option, that's convenient for Philly, but not easy.

2x$41 isn't bad on the surface, but it's all guaranteed so you can't do anything with the cap hit. A $40m cap hit would be the highest in the league and the acquiring team would have no mechanism to reduce the hit, nor would they have long-term contract control.

No team would give up significant assets for that, even if he was playing better than he did this year.

Jayinem

Reaction score
It would take guts to move on from Hurts, something Jerry doesn't have the guts to do with Dak (even gave him a no trade clause) and didn't have the guts with Romo.

Flamma

Reaction score
They're not going to trade him. They messed up by moving away from what got them there last season. A heavy RPO offense. Once he was paid, they wanted to protect him. Last year he would sometimes get more carries than the RB. They've moved away from that and are trying to make him more of a pocket passer. It worked until the wheels fell off.

The Eagles are never having another season like last year with this quarterback unless they go back using Hurts like a RB, and him throwing the ball into run defenses. Trying to turn him into a pocket passer throwing into coverage isn't going to work.

BoysForLife

Reaction score
I hate Philly but this talk is so stupid. He was an All Pro just two years ago. They want to fire everyone. Just stupidity.

And anyone who would trade for Hurts right now is stupid as well.
You have to forgive the obvious question here but in one breath you say that Philly is moronic for talking about moving on from Hurts, then in the next sentence you say anyone who would trade for Hurts right now is an idiot

Those two statements seem incongruous. How can it be a horrible idea to move on from him (indicating he's good) but also be a horrible idea for anyone else to bring him on (indicating he's bad)

I'm honestly confused.....

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
It would take guts to move on from Hurts, something Jerry doesn't have the guts to do with Dak (even gave him a no trade clause) and didn't have the guts with Romo.
Hurts has a no trade clause. That fact, and that contract, at best they get a 3rd round pick for him. It would take guts for a team to trade for him. The only team I can think of that might trade for him is Las Vegas.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
You have to forgive the obvious question here but in one breath you say that Philly is moronic for talking about moving on from Hurts, then in the next sentence you say anyone who would trade for Hurts right now is an idiot

Those two statements seem incongruous. How can it be a horrible idea to move on from him (indicating he's good) but also be a horrible idea for anyone else to bring him on (indicating he's bad)

I'm honestly confused.....
Fair question.

From the Philly perspective I think it's stupid to get rid of someone who was in the SB last year and was an All Pro.
In the same breath I think it's stupid to take on his 250 million dollar deal if you're a team and he's coming off the year he just had.

Do I think he's as good as he was a year ago? NO. Do I thin the is as bad as he was this year? No.

Now I wouldn't trade for him because I'd assume I'd have to take on his contract and give up at least a 1st round pick. I'd personally rather take my chances on a rookie and his deal.

BoysForLife

Reaction score
Fair question.

From the Philly perspective I think it's stupid to get rid of someone who was in the SB last year and was an All Pro.
In the same breath I think it's stupid to take on his 250 million dollar deal if you're a team and he's coming off the year he just had.

Do I think he's as good as he was a year ago? NO. Do I thin the is as bad as he was this year? No.

Now I wouldn't trade for him because I'd assume I'd have to take on his contract and give up at least a 1st round pick. I'd personally rather take my chances on a rookie and his deal.
Good explanation and thanks for clarifying

You make a lot of valid points and I agree hurts is probably somewhere between what we saw in 2022 and 2023

Appreciate the discourse

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hurts is a very effective QB…….when he can run. He had a knee issue the second half of the season that took away that threat making him a one dimensional pocket passer. All this talk about trading him is crazy. They aren’t trading him.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Hurts is a very effective QB…….when he can run. He had a knee issue the second half of the season that took away that threat making him a one dimensional pocket passer. All this talk about trading him is crazy. They aren’t trading him.
This the second year in a row he's's gotten hurt though. He's gonna be hurt taking on the contact he does. It's like Deebo getting hurt again. Deebo is a physical runner he's always going to be hurt. McCaffery too. That physical play is all good until December becomes. All those tush pushes have to take a toll on his body.