PFT Interview: Antonio Bryant

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
david_jackson said:
Too many folks want to evaluate a players in isolation either by stats or individual talent without regard for how the player would perform in specific environments.... A player can be very successful in one system and unsuccesful in another. With teams consisisting of many diverse players long term success is best achieved by finding player who addition adds value to a system not changing sytem/ team chemistry for specific players. (no that doesn't mean you have to treat everyone the same)

Evaluating players in isolation works alot better in Madden than in the real world. AB could end up being a Great Player and yet it was still the best decision to send him on his way

Excellent post!

AB is a talented player and if you design pass plays for him to be open and focus on him as on offense he will be happy and produce. If you ask him to go block down on LBs or run decoy routes he's probably gonna toss a jersey at you.

We had our time with AB and it wasn't pretty. He was dunking over goal posts after a meaningless score when we were down like 30 points, running his own made up routes, failing to even attempt a block as he sulked back to the huddle mad about play calling et al. Visibly mad 'on the field' about his catches and playcalling.

AB did have a good year statistically yet the Browns are reportedly making only minimal efforts to re-sign him. The offense for the Browns was woefully inconsistent when it wasn't just atrocious over all. I'd bet part of that is AB's lack of consistency which was about the only thing he kept at a high level here.

He might eventually make someone a good vet Wr but I doubt its right now. Right now he still has the attitude he had in high school and college and here where he essentially says I am grown up now' then explodes' then exclaims its all about his competitive nature.

AB is a solid WR2 in the NFL but he doesn't seem to be mature enough to handle that role.

We lost Derek Ross, AB and a few others trying to draft them and turn them into men. Its time to draft men and turn them into Cowboys.

lspain1

Reaction score
Erik_H said:
True.

The part that everyone seems to forget is that he was never traded as a result of the infamous "Jersey Incident.'

He was traded because he refused to leave the field DURING A REGULAR SEASON GAME after a play was called which did not include him.

We were forced to burn a timeout to get him the frick off the field.

Maybe he's matured a bit since then, but he NEEDED to be gone after that outburst.

Spot on Erik! AB's problem has always been the "me" factor. He certainly is not the only one to exhibit this kind of behavior but his talent, so far, has not
measured up to the attitude.

Could he help and be an important contributor? Sure, but there is no I in team.

I'll take a pass on him, in spite of the potential.

wileedog

Reaction score
aikemirv said:
I am with you there, and as much as I like Keyshawn as a football player, ( not much as a person) there is a big part of me that wishes we would have AB here for another 6-8 years rather than Keyshawn for another 1 or 2.

There's no guarantee that would have happened anyway. Even if we didn't make the trade, he would be a FA this year. And anyone who thinks there would have been a hint of loyalty or that he would not jump ship to the highest bidder or a team promising to make him a #1 is on crack.

neosapien23

Reaction score
wileedog said:
There's no guarantee that would have happened anyway. Even if we didn't make the trade, he would be a FA this year. And anyone who thinks there would have been a hint of loyalty or that he would not jump ship to the highest bidder or a team promising to make him a #1 is on crack.

He would have been more open to an extension if he would have had a chance to compete against Keyshawn. That was his biggest complaint. He felt that Keyshawn was just given the job.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
neosapien23 said:
He would have been more open to an extension if he would have had a chance to compete against Keyshawn. That was his biggest complaint. He felt that Keyshawn was just given the job.
Key earned the job because of what he had already done in the league. AB should have shut his mouth and proven he deserved it first.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Charles said:
I just hope the Cowboys don't brush him aside without giving him a serious look.

He would still have to sit behind Glenn and Johnson again.

Same circumstance. Just a season and a half later.

If it wasn't acceptable to him then, it won't be now.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
Alexander said:
He would still have to sit behind Glenn and Johnson again.

Same circumstance. Just a season and a half later.

If it wasn't acceptable to him then, it won't be now.
:hammer: I have said that same thing every time this has been brought up.

4lifecowboy

Reaction score
Yeagermeister said:
Is he talented? yes....Is he a headcase? HELL YEAH

He didn't deserve to start of Key because Key had earned it because he had done it before. Maybe if AB could check His attitude, stop dropping, and run the correct routes he might still be here.

If that is your logic, Bryant too had proven himself the year previous to Parcells arrival. And calling the man a head case seems a little extreme to me, he seems to have learned from his mistake and I don't recall any major blow ups in Cleveland while he was there. I thought he was very talented and had a huge upside for us, potentially our future #1, but that is here nor there now. He explain what his perspective was at that present time, not that it was the correct perspective, but it did have validity.

Rogerthat12

DWAREZ
Reaction score
jterrell said:
Excellent post!

AB is a talented player and if you design pass plays for him to be open and focus on him as on offense he will be happy and produce. If you ask him to go block down on LBs or run decoy routes he's probably gonna toss a jersey at you.

We had our time with AB and it wasn't pretty. He was dunking over goal posts after a meaningless score when we were down like 30 points, running his own made up routes, failing to even attempt a block as he sulked back to the huddle mad about play calling et al. Visibly mad 'on the field' about his catches and playcalling.

AB did have a good year statistically yet the Browns are reportedly making only minimal efforts to re-sign him. The offense for the Browns was woefully inconsistent when it wasn't just atrocious over all. I'd bet part of that is AB's lack of consistency which was about the only thing he kept at a high level here.

He might eventually make someone a good vet Wr but I doubt its right now. Right now he still has the attitude he had in high school and college and here where he essentially says I am grown up now' then explodes' then exclaims its all about his competitive nature.

AB is a solid WR2 in the NFL but he doesn't seem to be mature enough to handle that role.

We lost Derek Ross, AB and a few others trying to draft them and turn them into men. Its time to draft men and turn them into Cowboys.

Another fine statement on the subject..I understand why Bryant was disgruntled because he had a fairly productive rookie campaign and was used to starting and playing.

Then Bill aquires Glenn and Keyshawn and he is essentially benched without a true competition (in his eyes) for the starting positions. Bryant felt dejected I am sure and probably that Bill played "his guys" without a fair competition.

I understand how both a demotion and lack of a realistic opportunity to compete for the starting position could affect his attitude and approach BUT clearly AB made a decision to pout and allow frustration to overcome him in the situation.

It speaks volumes that CLEV has made a minimal attempt to bring AB back and they are simply being diplomatic. Especially with Braylon and Winslow coming off injury and his productive past season. Obviously the Browns have a set of reasons why they do not desire to retain him and it could be related to patterns he displayed while in Dallas.

AB is no TO..whether in talent or extent of trouble he can produce on a given team but not because he does not have it in him the way TO does. Instead, it is because he does not have the talent and platform to act out on as does TO at this point in his career. Ab is a selfish head case to be sure, I do not blame him for his desire to be a star WR but I do blame him for how he chooses to go about making that a reality.

Alexander

Reaction score
Yeagermeister said:
:hammer: I have said that same thing every time this has been brought up.

It is just too bad that too many fans keep talking emotionally rather than get angry when the team doesn't do what they would do.

It would really make Coach Parcells lose this team if he brought back someone he had to trade away because they showed their backside.

Sometimes people don't think when the post things like "I would bring him back".

Nothing has changed in the reality of the situation.

Coach Parcells is still the coach. Keyshawn Johnson and Terry Glenn are still our starters. Bryant is still an immature child.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
Its funny that everyone focuses on Parcells problems with Bryant, and overlook the fact that Bryant has had run-ins with every single coach he's ever played for. Since Cleveland is only making minimal effort to resign him despite a ton of cap space and a need at the position (aside from Edwards, who is coming off injury, they have nobody) it looks like not much changed in Cleveland.

Meh, I call the Antonio Bryant/Quincy Morgan trade a wash. Both teams just got a cheap rental player. Antonio Bryant may have put up better numbers because he was the #1 WR at Cleveland, but obviously having Antonio Bryant as your #1 WR does not translate to a very good NFL offense.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
InmanRoshi said:
Its funny that everyone focuses on Parcells problems with Bryant, and overlook the fact that Bryant has had run-ins with every single coach he's ever played for. Since Cleveland is only making minimal effort to resign him despite a ton of cap space and a need at the position (aside from Edwards, who is coming off injury, they have nobody) it looks like not much changed in Cleveland.

Meh, I call the Antonio Bryant/Quincy Morgan trade a wash. Both teams just got a cheap rental player. Antonio Bryant may have put up better numbers because he was the #1 WR at Cleveland, but obviously having Antonio Bryant as your #1 WR does not translate to a very good NFL offense.
I am with you 100% on this.

I'm so glad he's gone it isn't funny. People act like he was the 2nd coming of Michael. He couldn't carry Michael's strap.

Zippy Speedster

Reaction score
The worst move Parcells has made since coming here. But could be his best if he was to give him a second chance.

Bryant did no wrong in my eyes. If you ask me, a stressed coach simply overreacting to a situation. Remember this was right around the time of the Quincy debacle and it was rumored that much of the team was splitting because of it. A knee-jerk reaction in an attempt to show the team who is boss imo. Bryant was just simply in the wrong place at the wrong time.

I remember this going down very quickly too, you could tell there wasn't much time to stop and think about it.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
Bryant wasn't released when he threw the jersey in Parcells face. He was released for continually sulking, pouting, not running his patterns, improvising the gameplan, and half-arsing it on the field.

In what alternate dimension of the universe did Antonio Bryant not get a second (and a third, and a fourth) chance with the Cowboys?

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
InmanRoshi said:
Bryant wasn't released when he threw the jersey in Parcells face. He was released for continually sulking, pouting, not running his patterns, improvising the gameplan, and half-arsing it on the field.

In what alternate dimension of the universe did Antonio Bryant not get a second (and a third, and a fourth) chance with the Cowboys?
Thank you voice of reason

Alexander

Reaction score
InmanRoshi said:

Not to mention going into Coach Parcells' office the week before the trading deadline demanding to know what his immediate future held.

People don't understand that he practically asked for the trade. All signs point to it.

I do not believe for a minute we thought we were getting the better of the Browns in that deal. We took the best that was offered.

Hold on. I forgot about the mythical Larry Johnson for Antonio Bryant straight up trade.

Alexander

Reaction score
Zippy Speedster said:
The worst move Parcells has made since coming here. But could be his best if he was to give him a second chance.

Bryant did no wrong in my eyes. If you ask me, a stressed coach simply overreacting to a situation. Remember this was right around the time of the Quincy debacle and it was rumored that much of the team was splitting because of it. A knee-jerk reaction in an attempt to show the team who is boss imo. Bryant was just simply in the wrong place at the wrong time.

I remember this going down very quickly too, you could tell there wasn't much time to stop and think about it.

He was still on the team the day after.

If it was a move to show them all who was boss, how pointless would be it be wait until October?

Go back and watch the games. Bryant had one good game on the Monday night game against Washington. After that he did absolutely nothing.

I am amazed at how people make up things just to support whatever sort of ax they have to grind.

Derinyar

Reaction score
If he hated being the #3 how would he feel about being the #4. Yes, I think he would have to earn his way past Patrick Crayton. Bryant is much more talented, but Crayton is much more dependable.

Bryant is someone who is unlikely to ever live up to his potential. We've paid for him before, with a high draft pick, we shouldn't pay for him again with FA dollars.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
He's talented but isn't a team player. You have to be to play in Dallas. So either you are or you are not.

Unless he was a super talent, like a TO or Randy Moss..you just can't have the attitude before the results. Also, as a WR, he has to block at his position.

Key blocks as well as catches.

Say what you will about what Key doesn't have, he does what BP asks and that's the bottom line.

AB never had that quality in college and hasn't found it in the pros.

I wish him luck, but we took a flyer on him drafting him where we did and it didn't work. Hopefully, we won't do that anymore.

Parcellswaterboy

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
jterrell said:

Right on the :money: