Video: PFT: Is Troy Aikman or Roger Staubach the best Cowboys QB ever?

tyke1doe

Reaction score
In prison there are some big guys in those cells. But they don't get cardio. A small a guy guard can stay away and let the guy wear himself out. I've seen that done also. It's just wrong to say the big guy will always win it's just not true. I've seen it more than once
Sigh.
Cardio training falls into SKILL LEVEL!!!
You keep separating that small but significant phrase from my statement. :)

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Sigh.
We're talking about physical confrontation. I'm a smaller guy. I could squeeze through a smaller hole than a bigger guy. I could win a contest with a bigger guy if it involved who can get to the ground first. Since I'm closer to the ground, I'm going to beat him.
But that's not what we're talking about. We're talking about physical confrontation, a bigger man in physical competition with a smaller guy. :)
If I trained you. Pound-for-pound I take you over the bigger guy

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Sigh.
We're talking about physical confrontation. I'm a smaller guy. I could squeeze through a smaller hole than a bigger guy. I could win a contest with a bigger guy if it involved who can get to the ground first. Since I'm closer to the ground, I'm going to beat him.
But that's not what we're talking about. We're talking about physical confrontation, a bigger man in physical competition with a smaller guy. :)
We're talkin about football initially. To say a bigger guy in football is better than the smaller guy in my opinion is just not true

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
If you take someone 6 foot 7. And someone 5 foot 7. And give them the same exact skill set. I don't see the bigger guy winning I see it being equal. Yes it comes with intelligence.

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Walk up to the big guy. Put your right foot behind both his feet. Hit him in the midsection. He's falling over LOL

Mannix

Reaction score
------My conundrum is Ford, GMC, or Chevy . . . what's the board say?My conundrum is Ford, GMC, or Chevy . . . what's the board say?

GMC's always have the richest looking grills....Ford's beds always look too high and boxy to me.

Blackrain

Reaction score
He also had 11 concussions. Players in the 90s were bigger, faster, stronger.
I love Roger too, but I stand by my comment.
Not sure what the 70s Eagles has to do with the 90s Eagles.
If we include the 80s, imagine the 85 Bears.

Rules changed to protect the QB this had a greater affect and nullified the size and speed to a great degree . Roger played in a time when the QB was a target not protected at all .

Red Dragon

Reaction score
If you take someone 6 foot 7. And someone 5 foot 7. And give them the same exact skill set. I don't see the bigger guy winning I see it being equal. Yes it comes with intelligence.

Eh, what? It depends entirely on the position being played, but by and large the taller guy will usually have an advantage.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
Yea Geez for gods sake don't do that you might learn something about real Cowboy history that dosent include Romo LOL
Seriously?

Do you know how incredibly stupid that sounds? Go watch all the game tapes (do they even exist online?) of a player from 40 years ago...just cause. You may have not have a life to speak of, but I do.

And then to be fair to every other player, I'd need to go and watch their tapes too.

:facepalm:

MCMetal69

Reaction score
Staubach................Pretty even when it came to throwing the ball but Roger had superior athletic and escapability skills...............

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
Is Troy Aikman or Roger Staubach the best Cowboys QB ever?

nbc_pft_bestworstcowboyqbs_190618.jpg

Mike Florio and Chris Simms sort through the best quarterbacks in Cowboys' history as well as the worst.

Read Full Story
Roger

Coy

Reaction score
Nobody touches Staubach, but Romo vs Aikman is absolutely a legitimate debate, given their supporting casts.

Defense Avg Rank (points per game)
Playoff Seasons

Aikman 5th
Staubach 8th
White 11th
Romo 13th

Non-Playoff Seasons
Staubach 10th
White 13th
Aikman 19th
Romo 23rd

This stat says a lot, good one Percy

Blackrain

Reaction score
Seriously?

Do you know how incredibly stupid that sounds? Go watch all the game tapes (do they even exist online?) of a player from 40 years ago...just cause. You may have not have a life to speak of, but I do.

And then to be fair to every other player, I'd need to go and watch their tapes too.

:facepalm:
Stupid is what you posted on #114 . I was too young , I dunno, Im assuming . Use some of your great life and do some research before you leave the kids table and enter a discussion with the men

Kevinicus

Reaction score
Stupid is what you posted on #114 . I was too young , I dunno, Im assuming . Use some of your great life and do some research before you leave the kids table and enter a discussion with the men
More absolute stupidity.

The "research" you speak of likely isn't accessible and is an extreme waste of time for anyone with a life.

What you call my stupidity is me acknowledging that I am unable to make an informed opinion on that player. It's what intelligent and intellectually honest people do when they don't have the necessary information.

I bet you would 100% state Dak should be the starter on this team, but you I am sure, have not watched the film history of Cooper Rush or Mike White.

Your argument (for what purpose? To just act the fool? Why do you have a problem with someone recognizing they don't know everything?) is just so damn stupid.

Last edited:

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
The answer depends on the age of the person being asked. Old Timers= Staubach. 90’s kids: Aikman. 2000’s : Romo.

Clutch: Roger Staubach

If you go back and watch Staubach play, it wasn't always the prettiest. There are some major games where Staubach looked bad while the defense kept Dallas in the game. However, when Dallas needed a play to be made, Captain Comeback got it done.

Accuracy: Troy Aikman

Aikman was great at putting the ball where it needed to be, thriving on the timing routes of Norv Turner's offense because of his pinpoint accuracy.

Moxie: Tony Romo

Romo didn't have the advantage of having great teams around him like Aikman or Staubach, but he was fantastic at keeping plays alive. Roger the Dodger was better at scrambling, but Romo was probably better at making something out of nothing with his uncanny feel for escaping defensive pressure.

Honestly because they played in different eras and for markedly different teams, it's hard for me to say who was the greatest. How would Romo do on those '70s teams or Aikman? How would Aikman or Staubach have handled Romo's situation? We saw Aikman's success go down in the late 1990s when we didn't have very good teams around him, but how much of that was due to age/injuries? I'm not sure Staubach every played on a bad team; imperfect ones, yes, but Dallas was a contender under Landry before Staubach became QB, reaching the NFL Championship Game in 1966 and 1967 and losing in the conference playoffs in 1968 and 1969 (Staubach's first year, but not as a full-time starter).