News: PFT: Jerry Jones anticipates "a lot of ramifications on cap" due to Sunday Ticket verdict

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
What? $55 mil a year? Dak and Tad can't live off that! WTH. Besides, them diapers down in TX are expensive.

Why is JJ trying to keep the man down with such a low ball offer.
By all means all these players should just take the least they need so Jerry Jones doesn't have to dip into his 14.2 BILLION.
Poor Jerry!

doomsday9084

Reaction score
OK, I thought that the salary cap was set on revenue. Is revenue going to go down as a result of this ruling? I don't think so. The tickets and TV money is going to keep rolling in.

The NFL losing a lawsuit is just a massive expense for the teams. Their profitability won't be good as they pay it off but their revenue won't change.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
OK, I thought that the salary cap was set on revenue. Is revenue going to go down as a result of this ruling? I don't think so. The tickets and TV money is going to keep rolling in.

The NFL losing a lawsuit is just a massive expense for the teams. Their profitability won't be good as they pay it off but their revenue won't change.
Most of the money for the cap comes from the tv revenue. maybe all of it.
The ST $ , the profits, went to owners and who else?

The owners if they decided how to price that etc, then they should pay all of this suit.
But being billionaire scrooges, they wont and will try to get players etc to pay a good portion of it.

Basically they will have to give back some of the enormous profits they made off ST. If players, etc got some of those profits, then they too should have to give
some of that back.

doomsday9084

Reaction score
Most of the money for the cap comes from the tv revenue. maybe all of it.
The ST $ , the profits, went to owners and who else?

The owners if they decided how to price that etc, then they should pay all of this suit.
But being billionaire scrooges, they wont and will try to get players etc to pay a good portion of it.

Basically they will have to give back some of the enormous profits they made off ST. If players, etc got some of those profits, then they too should have to give
some of that back.
Its my understanding that as part of the CBA, the salary cap is set as part of the revenue coming into the league. 48% of income goes to the players, the teams keep the other 52%.

In order for the teams to get the players to pay for this lawsuit (which I would agree they would want to), they would need to renegotiate the CBA.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I suppose this ruling could be used as leverage for the owners . But I’m not sure how this would impact the Cap if it does at all.

Goodell is already promoting NFL to adopt a 18 game schedule with 2 bye weeks and SB being played on Presidents Holiday weekend .

And they will probably need to anty up on the players share which is currently at 48.5 percent until 2030 when next collective bargaining agreement is due .

I’d expect the players negotiating for an increase in their share which will probably exceed 49% which will increase the Cap significantly with revenue sharing.
Cool, would be perfect if this happens next year and Dallas plays in the super bowl on my birthday...lol

Creeper

Reaction score
Players would only be required to take a hit if the NFLPA was involved in negotiating the ST deal.

From my understanding, it was the owners and the league who decided how the ST deal would be structured. If that's the case the owners and the league should 100% eat the cost of their errors.
That's how I see it too, but the league could argue the players benefited from the league's ST contract, and therefore, it is ill-gotten gains. Is it a winning legal argument? Probably not, but I never thought the NFL would lose the ST lawsuit to begin with. This could wind up with another legal battle between the NFL and the players union.

If this goes to the Supreme Court, and I think it will considering the amount of money involved, It will take years, as the article says. For the Cowboys, the CAP will probably not be impacted until after Dak next contract is about to expire.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
It was the first thought I had when the news dropped. There are some big contracts being handed out. How unfortunate would it be if 2025 saw a decrease in salary cap, as opposed to the increase everyone is banking on? It is based on net revenue, and losing 10 figures in a lawsuit is a big blow. Jerry would come out looking like a genius if he weathered the storm and signed his guys at the number he wants, and also has the money to bring in free agents, while his opposition is handicapped with bloated salaries. Interesting...
Honestly....these contracts have gotten way out of hand....No way I would be signing the big 3....

Flamma

Reaction score
Everything is put on hold until this is sorted out. But Jerry isn't wrong. The TV deals are huge, and have everything to do with the cap. If this ruling stands, it can have a major impact on those deals. So of course it has major ramifications on the cap. If nothing else, Jerry understands business.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It’s amazing how few realize that 99% of what comes out of the mouth of Jerry Jones is a combination of a sales pitch and a heavy dose of “stirring it up”. Jerry does not think, plan or act like a legitimate general manager. He thinks and acts like a guy on a commission sales percentage.

He and his #1 son do not understand how to build a championship level roster in the cap era. They have yet to do it with nearly three decades of opportunity.

Adreme

Reaction score
I'm wondering if Jerry anticipated this and it is driving the approach to the big 3 contracts this off season.
The payout does not affect them. Even the first sentence of the article correctly points out that the verdict will not directly affect the salary cap as the salary cap is based on revenue so the payout will not change the revenues so even if they had to pay out 20 billion instead of 4 the cap would not change. If anything the NFL might go a bit crazy about raising revenues to pay for the verdict and it might make the cap go up more.

I'm sure several owners wish that they could lower the cap to cover the lawsuit but unless they managed to sneak something into the CBA 5 years ago that nobody has noticed they cannot. They cannot claw back past revenue.

Adreme

Reaction score
near 55M is 3-5M too low to be taken seriously.
Honestly though its a decent starting point for their side to begin negotiating. There are a lot of methods of negotiating but I would say the two most well known ones are to either open up with a best offer and not budge on the big points (this actually can work if it really is a good offer) or you open up with the most justifiably favorable offer to your side and work from there to come together.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
Everything is put on hold until this is sorted out. But Jerry isn't wrong. The TV deals are huge, and have everything to do with the cap. If this ruling stands, it can have a major impact on those deals. So of course it has major ramifications on the cap. If nothing else, Jerry understands business.
The NFLPA has no right to negotiate “TV deals” and will not accept helping payoff any penalty. The league has been aware of the potential anti-trust issue when the current CBA was negotiated and did not seek language that would include the union being affected by the liability of an adverse verdict. Jerry Jones will say anything to make his unwillingness to pay his top players seem like sound business practice. No one is more convinced fans are stupid than is Jerry Jones. He’s an example of the philosophy “If God didn’t want them sheared, He would not have made them sheep.”

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
$14.1 billion doesn't have to do anything to the cap.

It will, because the owners are cheap, but it doesn't have to.

Most likely is that it will just slow growth - it's not as if the cap is going to go down.

Flamma

Reaction score
The NFLPA has no right to negotiate “TV deals” and will not accept helping payoff any penalty. The league has been aware of the potential anti-trust issue when the current CBA was negotiated and did not seek language that would include the union being affected by the liability of an adverse verdict. Jerry Jones will say anything to make his unwillingness to pay his top players seem like sound business practice. No one is more convinced fans are stupid than is Jerry Jones. He’s an example of the philosophy “If God didn’t want them sheared, He would not have made them sheep.”
I don't know what you're talking about. The concept Jerry is referring to are Nationally televised games by NBC, ABC, FOX, what have you. They are the reason the salary cap is what it is. They pay a ton of money to carry games. If Sunday Ticket is made affordable to everyone, many people will stop watching normally televised games. If that happens, networks will no longer pay the NFL the ridiculous amount of money they are paying them now. It's simple math. Sunday ticket has to remain a high priced item, or not exist at all.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Its my understanding that as part of the CBA, the salary cap is set as part of the revenue coming into the league. 48% of income goes to the players, the teams keep the other 52%.

In order for the teams to get the players to pay for this lawsuit (which I would agree they would want to), they would need to renegotiate the CBA.
well I think what the owners would do is just take part of each years cap to pay for the players share, or for all of it lol.
The 48 % is probably the cap, which is why cap goes up each year, but now some of that has to be given back due to the lawsuit.

Sydla

Reaction score
I don't think this article is well written. It creates some confusion. For example:

The NFL might have decided to begin planning for paying $14.1 billion not by telling the teams to start figuring out how to come up with $440 million each when the appeals are exhausted but by creating a global fund for paying it all off. Then, if the NFL wins the case, all of the money will flow back into the cap.
There are two things at play here. Yes, if each team has to pony up $440 million each, that could affect future expenses (which includes players' salary) but it should have little effect on the cap. Cap is based on revenues. The potential $14B fine is not a hit to revenues, it's an expense. So to say if the NFL wins the appeal, the $14B goes back into the cap is a weird way to put it. And I suspect the NFLPA would have a lawsuit ready if the league tried to claim the $14B was a hit to revenues and not a cost of doing business (which it is).

Now what could affect the cap is the NFL losing the appeal and the league shutting down ST. I have no idea what the annual revenues are from the service but nevertheless it would be a hit to revenues and as such the calculation of future caps which are based on future revenue projections.

I think what Jerry is saying is that teams will start counting their pennies a lot harder if the fine sticks and each team has to contribute over $400 million to pay said fine.