News: PFT: Jerry Jones confident in future including Dak Prescott: "We know what our future is there"

DandyDon1722

It's been a good 'un, ain't it?
Reaction score
Jerry Jones confident in future including Dak Prescott: "We know what our future is there"

gettyimages-1160859693-e1579673893795.jpg

The Dallas Cowboys have done nothing but talk about a future that includes Dak Prescott as part of the picture despite a current lack of a long-term deal for their star quarterback. Cowboys executi...

Read Full Story

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Every qb is capable of reaching the Super bowl, that's pretty much been proven with Dilfer and Grossman.

But there's a difference between Cowboys fans believing Dak is the future and Dak actually being a guy to elevate this offense. Saying Dak is the future isn't something to be used as a defense, considering a deal will make him the QB for the future. Doesn't mean he suddenly is great or will be. "Jerry will sign him, so he must be the guy"...
Dak is the future because he’s a great QB. Open your eyes and quit listening to the National media talking heads and the trolls here.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm not against signing Dak, but man, I hope when the Joneses are speaking privately with Dak and his agent, they tell them things like, "You realize we only say those things in public to make you look good, right? You know there's no way in Hell we're making you the highest paid QB in league, don't you?"
There is zero chance of that being said in any contract negotiation between Prescott and a can't-shut-up-to-save-his-life Jones. lol!

Jones: We are not paying you more than Matt Ryan.
Prescott: Ryan's contract is $150 mil. You don't think I'm worth more?
Jones: Nope. And we are not offering a contract averaging more than Russell Wilson's per year.
Prescott: Wilson's averaging $35 mil a year. You don't think I'm worth more that too?
Jones: Nope.
Prescott: Cool. I won't sign, may hold out, and eventually take my chances elsewhere.
Jones: Do what you have to Dak. Romo fell in my lap undrafted. You did the same as a fourth rounder I'm a gambler to the core and will take my chances. YEEEHAWWW!

Now THAT'S the type of conversation anyone feeling dread over any kind of huge signing would hope happens between those two. One problem. Jones loves Prescott. Loved him since the first half of Prescott's first season. Kicked Romo to the curb believing Prescott could lead the team to a Super Bowl as a rookie. Has shown nothing but 100% support for Prescott ever since.

Record breaking contracts are record breaking until another contract follows and breaks the previous record breaking contract. My opinion? Jones believes Prescott is a franchise caliber quarterback. 2016 established that for me. There is always a high demand for franchise caliber quarterbacks. Jones has the inside track of retaining a franchise quarterback already on his roster and shall do whatever is necessary to keep Prescott.

Will there be negative ramifications for Jones' salary cap? Yep. Will that eventuality be enough to keep him and Prescott from reaching a mutually agreed upon contract that may be record breaking at the time its signed? Nope.

The future is coming whether anyone wants it or not. Folks *could* finally brace themselves for any dreaded outcome they dislike happening the most. Me? I anticipated and accepted current events back in November 2016. I'm good.

Brax

Reaction score
Meanwhile, in the real world during Week 17 in December 2012 with the season and playoffs on the line, Romo's 7th year as our starter and 10th year as a Dallas Cowboy, he sure did show us such accuracy and delivered the ball where it needed to be......unlike 4th year veteran Dak! o_O:rolleyes::confused:

PS: There is much more if you'd like to see other videos of such an accurate and clutch old veteran that Romo was. Just holler...:cool:

On cue here come the Romo references for some reason,sad and really pathetic, Romo doesn't play anymore, whats your point, you need professional help.

Blackrain

Reaction score
I’m still not sold on Dak. He still holds the ball too long, has a slower release, and isn’t as accurate as he should be. The latter is puzzling because he’s thrown really accurate long balls before that dropped right into the hands of Amari. By Tony’s third year he told Parcells he was “seeing it”, meaning that even when the receiver didn’t look open to the layman, he was open as those windows are small and disappear quickly, and Tony had the accuracy to deliver the ball where it needed to be. I’m not sure Dak is quick enough to read those and accurate enough to deliver them. I think Dak’s rookie year was a double edged sword for the Cowboys.

Romo was also a gunslinger bound to pass at all costs . In an 8-8 season struggling to make the playoffs Dak did not throw an Int in the last 4 games . Romo under the same conditions trying to make the playoffs ending in an 8-8 season or 2 threw 4 or 5 ints

You believe Tony had the accuracy and Dak is not accurate enough ,at times that looks like an accurate assessment . There are also a bunch of times when Tony flat out forced balls that should not have been thrown and it cost us . Dak is not that guy he is more conscious of ball security

Diehardblues

Reaction score
oh I know. lol..it just gets tiresome listening to a delusional blithering tool. He's that nutty Uncle that every family has that spouts off incoherently and talks loudest because they think the louder they are, the smarter they will seem. IT FOOLS NO ONE.
It obviously fools enough to keep the cash flow coming in. Either that or we are too addicted to set our Cowboys pipe down.

We certainly have an odd way of showing Jerry our displeasure. Maybe we are sending him the wrong message?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Daks future here will remain uncertain until the Cowboys ink him with a new contract.

This is basically what Jerry is attempting to squash in media is that he intends to sign him despite not being able to get a deal done up to now.

The longer we go without a deal though the rumors and discussion will continue . Tagging him won’t change it.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I have been labeled a Dak hater.

But watching the 49ers, you can see a path to making this a SB caliber team with Dak as the QB.
Of course . Build a #1 defense.

Do we think we’ve addressed that with this HC & DC hire?

Are we prepared to make such an investment on the defensive side?

We’ve already invested a third of our Cap space in OL. And attempting to add more with Dak and Coopers signing in addition to Elliott’s.

Id argue we are loading up on our offense to carry us not a defense.

Blackrain

Reaction score
Seriously? Rewatch the video in slow motion. 1st & 10, yet Romo couldn't throw it into the ground at Murray's feet, even though he was looking at the LB cover Murray the whole time, or how about throw the ball way out of bounds to live another play while keeping the drive alive, or better yet, why not tuck the football and run to the right where there was at least 10 yards wide open to pick up an easy 1st down? I thought Romo was this genius defensive scheme reader that y'all talk about all of the time...and Mr. Clutch when it mattered most? Guess this video is fake, huh?

Darn YouTube makes Romo look bad. :muttley:
I hear you AC Nobody wants to rehash all this old stuff but Sometimes a REALITY CHECK IS NECESSARY . This is a perfect example of the QB play we used to have in an 8-8 season trying to make the playoffs .

DAK DID NOT THROW AN INT IN THE LAST 4 GAMES !!! he did his job Dak wasnt a heart breaker he just couldnt make up for bad STs most dropped balls in the NFL most missed kicks or a lameDuck coach and a defense that wouldnt give the effort to tackle .
The fools that bash Dak need to watch that video thats a QB who hurt his team

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Dak is the future because he’s a great QB. Open your eyes and quit listening to the National media talking heads and the trolls here.

lol.. Dude we didn't make the playoffs with a healthy team and couldn't do squat against top 10 defenses. You need to open your eyes.

No TD's against Philly lol..

conner01

Reaction score
He’s not going to shut up. The sooner we accept that reality the sooner we can adjust our expectations.
I listened to interviews with GM’s at Sr Bowl
Most were ask about draft but a few were ask about FA
Everyone I heard mentioned a player they really wanted to keep
That’s what a GM does
I suspect MM and Jerry had several conversations about Dak before he was hired
If I’m MM I want to start my career with a QB and daft picks
That’s the fastest way to get better

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Elway is a prime example
Until he got a running game he didn’t get a ring
It’s a team that wins
Yes but he still took them to 3 SB’s without enough supporting cast to win it all. Therein lies his greatness.

Fans too often want to use winning the SB as the only measurement of greatness but reaching it and maintaining a high level of excellence contending year after year without always the supporting cast they need is a mark of greatness.

conner01

Reaction score
Yes but he still took them to 3 SB’s without enough supporting cast to win it all. Therein lies his greatness.

Fans too often want to use winning the SB as the only measurement of greatness but reaching it and maintaining a high level of excellence contending year after year without always the supporting cast they need is a mark of greatness.
One of the greatest ever
And those were good teams just the running game put them over the top
But even the great ones need talent around them

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I listened to interviews with GM’s at Sr Bowl
Most were ask about draft but a few were ask about FA
Everyone I heard mentioned a player they really wanted to keep
That’s what a GM does
I suspect MM and Jerry had several conversations about Dak before he was hired
If I’m MM I want to start my career with a QB and daft picks
That’s the fastest way to get better
I understand and agree.

And I agree Dak had to be the dominating conversation . I’d assume if you wanted the Cowboys job you needed to agree with Jerry about Dak.