News: PFT: Jerry Jones: Cowboys may do "something special" to sign a veteran free agent

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
OBJ likely.
That ain't "special"...........he's been talking about that for since last season. My guess, special to him is giving up draft picks and/or large contracts. You don't that to just replace a starter but to also make a huge impact team-wise.

My guess.........Jalen Ramsey ( open starting position opposite Diggs ). The only other open starting position is LG.

Is it possible we have could THREE former Rams players on this team ( OBJ, Wagner and Ramsey ) lol

USArmyVet

Reaction score
That ain't "special"...........he's been talking about that for since last season. My guess, special to him is giving up draft picks and/or large contracts. You don't that to just replace a starter but to also make a huge impact team-wise.

My guess.........Jalen Ramsey ( open starting position opposite Diggs ). The only other open starting position is LG.

Is it possible we have could THREE former Rams players on this team ( OBJ, Wagner and Ramsey ) lol
Ramsey isn't a free agent and require not only Dallas trade their 1st round draft pick (likely) but also Ramsey has said he wants a new contract....and with Diggs, Parsons, and Lamb on the horizon what they hell would Dallas want to trade for Ramsey anyway?

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Ramsey isn't a free agent and require not only Dallas trade their 1st round draft pick (likely) but also Ramsey has said he wants a new contract....and with Diggs, Parsons, and Lamb on the horizon what they hell would Dallas want to trade for Ramsey anyway?
Who said it had to be a free agent? He's on the last year of any guaranteed G-money in his contract, which frankly isn't a bad contract to absorb. No team is giving the Rams a 1st, and maybe not even a 2nd knowing his contract needs modifying. Not to mention, the Rams have already telegraphed he's not in their future plans.

I'm no cap expert.........there is still about $48M due from his contract, of which $17M is G-money. Just me, doesn't seem like it would be hard to get this done. Just be clear, he is just my guess.......hell I'd be happy with Patrick Peters

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/los-angeles-rams/jalen-ramsey-18953/

BTW......I notice fans/posters keep bringing up Diggs, Parsons and Lamb contracts around the corner as if they could be an issue but I'm not seeing that coz we only have ONE player (Dak) with a huge deal. I mean who is our highest-paid player on defense? Sure on offense, there is Shultz and Zeke but both are likely gone, so who's left?

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Who said it had to be a free agent? He's on the last year of any guaranteed G-money in his contract, which frankly isn't a bad contract to absorb. No team is giving the Rams a 1st, and maybe not even a 2nd knowing his contract needs modifying. Not to mention, the Rams have already telegraphed he's not in their future plans.

I'm no cap expert.........there is still about $48M due from his contract, of which $17M is G-money. Just me, doesn't seem like it would be hard to get this done. Just be clear, he is just my guess.......hell I'd be happy with Patrick Peters

BTW......I notice fans/posters keep bringing up Diggs, Parsons and Lamb contracts around the corner as if they could be an issue but I'm not seeing that coz we only have ONE player (Dak) with a huge deal. I mean who is our highest-paid player on defense? Sure on offense, there is Shultz and Zeke but both are likely gone, so who's left?
Jones literally said veteran free agent lol

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Nothing to see here. Everybody knows Jerry loves the publicity and didnt he use the "IF I THINK IT FITS" line with the OBJ negotiations.

Saying that I can see OBJ as being the reference as: 1) he'll presumably be cheap in year one as he'll be signing bonus(ed) year1 in 2023, 2) will be here in 2024 which should improve the Offense even if Jerry decides to move on from Dak (as a post June cut in 2024).

USArmyVet

Reaction score

My guess is this thread title said it:

PFT: Jerry Jones: Cowboys may do "something special" to sign a veteran free agent​

USArmyVet

Reaction score
Just read this ............

"Los Angeles Rams defensive back Jalen Ramsey is reportedly on the trade block this offseason. The six-time Pro Bowl corner says he wants a new contract if he does get traded. Ramsey currently has three years left on a contract he signed in 2020. A deal that makes him the second-highest-paid defensive back in the league. However, Ramsey is seeking a new deal that would make him the highest-paid in the NFL."

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...alen-ramsey-needs-to-be-ready-to-pay-him-too/

So if Ramsey wants a new deal and wants to be paid as the top NFL CB, keep in mind last season GB CB Jaire Alexander signed a 4-year $84M contract with $30M guaranteed making him the highest AAV CB in the league at $21M/season.

So while contracts can be worked in a way to create cap room, Dallas is looking at a major restructuring of Dak's contract as well as others (Martin, Zeke, Smith, DLaw, etc) in addition to franchise tagging Pollard and deciding on their own free agents.....and that is before signing free agents and getting to the draft.

I'm sorry but while some dismiss the likes of Diggs being a free agent after this season, CeeDee Lamb having his 5th-year option of $17.9M kick in next season, and Parsons having his 5th-year kick in after the 2024 season (with a possible holdout prior wanting a new deal), I do not see how trading for Ramsey happens.

The fact Diggs, playing in the last year of his rookie deal (franchise tag options next season at $18.1M?), would see Dallas trade for Ramsey while giving him a new deal only makes his contract demands increase.

Cowboyny

Reaction score

There are strong rumblings over the weekend that the Cowboys being connected to Ramsey

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This is Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny and the Tooth Fairy all rolled into an alcohol induced stupor. If this guy wasn’t the owner/president/GM of the Cowboys, and he was just some delusional rich guy waxing on, we would probably feel sorry for him.

CTcowboy203

Reaction score

I agree with you that obj to me doesn’t mean “special” but I do think to Jerry it is unfortunately