News: PFT: Jerry Jones: Expect a marijuana adjustment to NFL’s substance-abuse policy

buybuydandavis

Reaction score

Which raises an inherently practical consideration: What would the NFLPA give up to get rid of the rule that prohibits marijuana use? Not much, since players who know how to navigate the process can easily do so, passing the annual test and smoking at will for the rest of the year.​

Not anything. The policy is as much a problem for the owners as the players. It's bad for the league generally.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
If this new policy change is going to somehow benefit the Dallas Cowboys, how are they going to workaround the federal law which is not changing?

Chrispierce

Reaction score
How about this as what one side gives up in return? Players can do whatever they want no pot test and NFL no longer allowed to help in legal matters from any trouble they get themselves in. Ohhhh you mean like real people in real life? I’m sick of these babies...go around with ounces of dope on you? You’re a A-1 knucklehead looking to get busted. Ok check this out...I got in a situation and was held by police recently...they didn’t care I had a little pipe and small amount...gave it back to me in fact. Loool But we were talking...and they said what I say. Keep it low profile alright? They don’t mind some guy with a small amount to sit at home after work...it’s the obnoxious freezer bags of it and way people go around sticking their lifestyle in your face with it. I’m like what stupid idiot goes to Texas of all states to a town called Frisco where any player is going to be known and rolls around with that on them?

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score
About time. Considering how dangerous some of the opioids that big Pharma is peddling, to criminalize weed is insanity.

FTWayne

Reaction score
So, it's not going to be tested, but if you get caught with it by law enforcement it's okay or is it your job.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Guys...please don’t say dumb things that violate guidelines and will just get you benched or the thread closed.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I would make a good water boy. 5 years 25 million with 20 guaranteed and 10 million signing bonus.
BA5ogRn.png

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
I doubt this will be retroactive, meaning they will just stop testing in the new CBA. However, a failed test in the past is still considered a violation.

Its like the toll road about 3 miles from my house. The speed limit right now is 85, but they are discussing raising it to 90 on January 1st so they can bump the toll up and make some more money. Now if I drive 90 on the toll right now, I get a ticket and that ticket stays on my driving record even if the speed is increased to 90 in January.

Same thing with players like Gregory, they will still have "failed" tests on their record and any suspensions they are serving for those failed test will still be enforced.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
This will not change usage patterns. Players who aren't in the substance abuse program get tested once a year and they know when that is coming. This is simply a recognition that there is a major distinction between smoking weed and doing blow or smoking crack

I agree. Even though I don't think they should reprimand players for it, what option do they have? As an industry, it's kind of hard to sell yourself as a role model when you turn a blind eye to illegal behavior. I don't think it should be illegal, but it still is illegal at the Federal level.

Their only options are to either wait for Federal law to change, or to stop testing for it. While they might be able to get by with excluding THC from their drug testing program, I don't think the owners as a whole want to risk the PR storm that could potentially follow. It would likely be easier for owners in states that have legalized weed to get on board, but it's undoubtedly easiest for Jerry Jones. He has a $350M buffer to work with before he falls to #2 highest earning NFL team. I can't imagine there's a large enough portion of NFL owners who are willing to risk income on behalf of a small percentage of players who can't pass a single test.

jaythecowboy

Reaction score
That's why we been holding onto Gregory
I agree. Even though I don't think they should reprimand players for it, what option do they have? As an industry, it's kind of hard to sell yourself as a role model when you turn a blind eye to illegal behavior. I don't think it should be illegal, but it still is illegal at the Federal level.

Their only options are to either wait for Federal law to change, or to stop testing for it. While they might be able to get by with excluding THC from their drug testing program, I don't think the owners as a whole want to risk the PR storm that could potentially follow. It would likely be easier for owners in states that have legalized weed to get on board, but it's undoubtedly easiest for Jerry Jones. He has a $350M buffer to work with before he falls to #2 highest earning NFL team. I can't imagine there's a large enough portion of NFL owners who are willing to risk income on behalf of a small percentage of players who can't pass a single test.

I don't see there being any backlash. MLB just stop testing for it and no one cares. NFL is way behind on this.