News: PFT: Jerry Jones is "a big proponent" of an 18-game regular season

Kingofholland

Reaction score
I hate the idea of adding extra games. Should have kept it at 16, but understand the $$$ aspect. If they added an 18th they probably should add a 2nd bye week.

Bagman

Reaction score
Breaking News.....Jerry Jones really, really, really likes money. A whole LOT of it.

Walker

Texas Ranger
Reaction score
He wants more money of course he is in favor of it. I vote no, as much as I want more football, the issue I have is injuries. By the time you get to the playoffs your going to have a bunch of 3rd stringers playing for the Superbowl lol.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Viewership is not bad at all
It’s just changing
But it is about money
Billionaires need more billions lol
I love football so I’d watch it all year but it’s a lot of wear on the players playing so much
True but regular TV viewership is declining at much higher numbers than NFL because of alternate choices with streaming services .

The NFL is one of the last big draws for the Networks and why they’re willing to dish out billions.

conner01

Reaction score
True but regular TV viewership is declining at much higher numbers than NFL because of alternate choices with streaming services .

The NFL is one of the last big draws for the Networks and why they’re willing to dish out billions.
No doubt the way it’s watched is changing

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Two preseason games, 18 games, two bye weeks - they've been doing that in Canada for years. A 20 week regular season is coming. It's just a matter of time.
Easy.......19 hands imo is the perfect number. I agree....its coming, just a matter of time.

Maxmadden

Reaction score
who doesn't want more games? stop at 18 tho and 1 less pre season game and 2 teams with a bye for the playoffs for each conference 1 seem a bit stingy!
I say do away with playoff bye's altogether. Their is too much variance in the degree of difficulty of the schedule.
Why reward a team for having a softer schedule? The softer schedule is reward enough to gain HFA if they are worth their salt.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

I'm fine with it as long as they continue to reduce the # of preseason games. Get it down to 2 preseason games and add another regular season game. They also need to increase the roster by a couple of guys as you will need more guys for a longer season. 2 bye weeks.

meddleroidz

Reaction score
Are they in contention to change to 18 for next year? what's the follow up on this story/jones tweeting?

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
The injuries in the NFL (Deebo just went down) will make an 18 game season a survivor league.

NickZepp

Reaction score
As long as we just get rid of preseason. I'm all for a 20 game regular season. The preseason is such a waste of time anymore anyway.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
During a recent interview with 105.3 the Fan, the Cowboys owner was asked about the possibility of the NFL expanding the schedule again and he didn't hide the fact that he definitely wants to see an 18-game schedule happen.

"One more, and I'm a big proponent of it," Jones said of how many more games he wants to see on the schedule. "I think that's the right level. That allows us to -- as we go into the early games of the season -- that allows us to have those games. You will get better if you play those games, because you'll play less preseason games."

When the NFL expanded to 17 games prior to the 2021 season, the league dropped one preseason game to make it happen. Instead of playing 16 regular-season games and four preseason games, the NFL has played 17 and three over the past two seasons. If the NFL expands to 18 games, Jones wants to see the preseason cut down to two games.

Cowboys owner Jerry Jones in favor of making this one huge change to the NFL's regular-season schedule (msn.com)

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
During a recent interview with 105.3 the Fan, the Cowboys owner was asked about the possibility of the NFL expanding the schedule again and he didn't hide the fact that he definitely wants to see an 18-game schedule happen.

"One more, and I'm a big proponent of it," Jones said of how many more games he wants to see on the schedule. "I think that's the right level. That allows us to -- as we go into the early games of the season -- that allows us to have those games. You will get better if you play those games, because you'll play less preseason games."

When the NFL expanded to 17 games prior to the 2021 season, the league dropped one preseason game to make it happen. Instead of playing 16 regular-season games and four preseason games, the NFL has played 17 and three over the past two seasons. If the NFL expands to 18 games, Jones wants to see the preseason cut down to two games.

Cowboys owner Jerry Jones in favor of making this one huge change to the NFL's regular-season schedule (msn.com)
Jerry would favor a 52 game schedule...