News: PFT: Jerry Jones said Cowboys have discussed free agent safeties

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He was spoiled by Darren Woodson. You'd think having a Darren Woodson on your team at one time would show you how important a safety is with making a defense elite.
Booger's a follow the ball GM, all of that success was because of the triplets. Tell you one person spoiled, Roy OU Williams, he was never the same after Woodson hung it up.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Oh I don't mean to leave him out entirely. He rotates with Suggs for sure. one thing we know about marinelli is he LOVEs rotating.

Lawrence
Collins
Crawford
Woods
Gregory
Flowers
Suggs
Charlton

Not the heaviest DL ever but not too shabby. I

I agree he likes to rotate, but Gregory, Flowers, Suggs, Taco and Armstrong are too many to have at DE, especially when Crawford could will still be there for depth if injuries were to hit.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't have any evidence to back it up, but I don't know if I believe a team would be willing to part with a 1st AND sign the contract he is going to demand. There are enough edge players that they would rather just take the rookie and have the deal.
Could be but every year around this time, teams surprise me with what they're willing to do. And it doesn't help that his shoulder needs surgery but teams with a lot of cap and primary need for DE, might surprise us with what they're willing to give up.

What if HOU lets Clowney walk? Or IND with all of that cap and needs on D and theirs is a low first rounder. And CLE is liable to do anything with Rothliesberger and Jackson QBing in their division. I don't think Rotheliesberger would be sloughing Lawrence off or running around with him hanging onto one leg.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I agree he likes to rotate, but Gregory, Flowers, Suggs, Taco and Armstrong are too many to have at DE, especially when Crawford could will still be there for depth if injuries were to hit.
Is it still his choice whether or not they rotate?

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
ET to Dallas is the worst kept secret in the league...………its pretty much rumored all over the internet that they had an agreement over the contract last year and the holdup was Seattle wanted a 1st instead of a 2nd that Dallas was offering. I also think Seattle was pissed over the way ET went to the Dallas lockerroom and basically begged Garrett to trade for him, so they got their panties in a bunch over it and were dead set they were not going to trade him to Dallas no matter what Dallas offered.

ET is now a free agent so there is no draft capital to discuss..........like I said, the contract was already agreed to in principle so the only thing that has changed is ET getting hurt. Now will Dallas want to knock a little off the contract for injury or will ET suddenly want a little more money if he gets a couple of other offers from like Indy or Houston?

That is the real game being played now, but most sites on the internet think its a done deal.

kskboys

Reaction score
Booger's a follow the ball GM, all of that success was because of the triplets. Tell you one person spoiled, Roy OU Williams, he was never the same after Woodson hung it up.
I would love to hear his answer if someone asked him why we won 3 super bowls in 4 years.

kskboys

Reaction score
He was spoiled by Darren Woodson. You'd think having a Darren Woodson on your team at one time would show you how important a safety is with making a defense elite.
I doubt if Jerry could tell you what a S's job is.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Is it still his choice whether or not they rotate?
I assume he is at least still in charge of the D-Line, but who knows how they will do things. I thought Marinelli might step back into a consulting role and let Richard be DC, but it doesn’t seem like that’s how it will go.

Sydla

Reaction score
I'd rather draft a Safety.

I'd still bring a veteran S in too. A rookie safety could take a year or two to get his feet under him and this team can win now with better safety play (and DT play IMO).

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Use the Earl Thomas money and go after Trey Flowers.

I almost wish we were a 3-4 and could pay a 1 year super bowl or bust contract to Suggsy.

That wouldn't address the issue at DT. This team is weak in the middle of the DL.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
I'd still bring a veteran S in too. A rookie safety could take a year or two to get his feet under him and this team can win now with better safety play (and DT play IMO).
Fair point.

conner01

Reaction score
The substance of the discussions is what counts. We'll know more in march.
I suspect they’ve discussed free agents at almost every position
To me you have to add two positions in free agency that you don’t think you can get in the draft ready to play. I don’t think with signing our own that more than a couple is really possible. Now we will sign more but I’m talking impact free agents. I think safety is probably one of those positions I would add, the other to me would be DT or TE if I couldn’t get a DT
I don’t see signing a WR to replace Beasley since there seems to be many slot guys in this draft
This draft has good DT depth so adding another in the draft would be nice too

PhillyCowboysFan

Reaction score
To be fair , the Cowboys had Woodson until 2003 and Roy Williams was a pretty good safety for several seasons after Darren left.....................But yes , it's been over a decade..........................

In Roy Williams second year teams realized that he couldn’t track a deep ball and he became a liability in deep passes. He was great playing in the box though.

Bowdown27

Reaction score
I believe Cowboys and Earl already have a verbal commitment. Which coulexplain the kids being enrolled in Texas schools.

I’m with you honestly. I think they lock up tank and then get earl done.

mrmojo

Reaction score
In addition to Haley, Woodson and Thomas Everett were key to that back to back run on defense.

jnday

Reaction score
His name is a reason I laugh when I think of how short sighted Marinelli has been with the two positions that made the championship defenses in Tampa. 3-T in Sapp, S in Lynch.

Hopefully it is more of Richard's call than his.
Marinelli has let the game pass him by. I have never been a fan. There has always been better options IMO.

morat1959

Reaction score
Don’t know why we’re looking at the safety position. Heath’s on the verge of being an all-pro.